My 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer project

LanEvo

Hi, guys.

Just wanted to start a thread to detail the build of my 1987 16v project car. For those who don't know, this is the one with the twin-cam 2.3L engine with a head designed and built by Cosworth Engineering. These were true homologation specials built for Group A racing. They're most famous for their success in the German DTM series in the late '80s and early '90s.

After searching for over 1 year, I finally found a clean California car with zero rust, no accident damage, a strong engine (180psi across all 4 cylinders), and the coveted Getrag close-ratio Euro dogleg gearbox. I've listed some pics and details in My Garage.

My goal is to slowly turn it into an early DTM replica ('86-'87 seasons) for use in VARAC Group 70+ and other vintage racing. I may also enter it in NASA GTS and possibly SCCA.

Here are a few pics from the car's track debut (in essentially stock form) at Tremblant last August:

2501.jpg

2500.jpg

2497.jpg

There are some big things in store for this car over the next 6-8 weeks. I have a full coilover conversion on the way from Ground Control in California. New wheels are on the way so I can fit some real race rubber under the car. I'm on the waiting list at a very well-respected New England cage builder. The LSD is off being rebuilt for more lockup. I'm hoping the car will be ready for the big BMW Club of Canada event at Mosport the last weekend of April.

Once that's done, we're working on putting together a multiple throttle-body setup. That entails pulling out the horrid Bosch K-Jet mechanical fuel injection system and switching to modern EFI. We're also going to start work on tearing down the spare engine and building it to Evo II spec, which is the short-stroke, big-bore 2.5L version.

I'll keep this thread updated as the build progresses.

Hope to see some of you guys out on the track. I'll be doing at least one Tremblant weekend this summer.

I hate you now. I'v been looking for a 2.5 16V or a 2.3 16V for almost 6 month and I found NOTHING valuable...
I'll maybe sell my C36 AMG to get a 2.5 16V if I find one.

oh by the way, since you told us you found it in the USA, is it expensive to get it here ? because I might want to check in that states.

(wanna make a Evo 2 Replica)

I hate you now. I'v been looking for a 2.5 16V or a 2.3 16V for almost 6 month
Lol. I know. I searched for over one year. Checked out 10 or 12 of them before I finally found a good one. Very difficult to find a clean example in the US or Canada.

I found NOTHING valuable...I'll maybe sell my C36 AMG to get a 2.5 16V if I find one.
There was a very nice Euro 2.5L (non-Evo) on the market in Vancouver for a while. Not sure if it's still available.

oh by the way, since you told us you found it in the USA, is it expensive to get it here ? because I might want to check in that states.
I've actually been living in the US for a few years now; I left Montreal in 2005. But these cars are all over 15 years old and have very low book values, so it should be pretty easy/cheap to import one.

(wanna make a Evo 2 Replica)
That was my original plan, but they're not legal for vintage racing :cry: So, I've decided to keep my bodywork original. The only real problem is the very limited tire selection...the stock wheel wells are tiny! I can't go bigger than 225/40R-17 tires, which is a massive disadvantage on the track.

Hey ! Bonne chance dans ton beau projet !

Almost as nice as an old bimmer...
:D
See you this summer !

That was my original plan, but they're not legal for vintage racing :cry: So, I've decided to keep my bodywork original. The only real problem is the very limited tire selection...the stock wheel wells are tiny! I can't go bigger than 225/40R-17 tires, which is a massive disadvantage on the track.

have you tried euro website ?

After a backbreaking day of labor, the interior of the car is almost fully stripped. It's truly amazing how much wiring came out of the cabin! And those 5-way adjustable electric seats weighed a ton; literally 45-50 lbs each.

The car should be going off to the cage-builder next weekend. Can't wait!

I've never been a fan of the huge chrome grille up front. IMNSHO, it makes the 16v look like a dowdy old man's car, rather than the DTM-dominating beast it is. I wanted the car to have the "shaved" Euro look, and that chrome grille had to go.

I bought a pair of brand new OEM grille surrounds to play with. I had a professional fabricator we work with fill in the holes for the hood ornaments by welding in metal (not just smearing on body filler), then sent them out to our powder-coaters where they were coated in black semi-gloss.

Here's a pic...

190Eshadowlinegrill.jpg

I think the finish came out gorgeous; similar to BMW's optional "Shadowline" trim package, which is exactly what we were going for. I'm very happy with it. Will add more pics once it's on the car.

nice ! I'm starting to thinking about changing my C36 Grill to. but I only want to paint the kinda Gray part in black and keep the chrome.

Btw, we should meet up with v0ac
I'm going to be at Mosport the last weekend of April for the BMW CCA Club Race school. We have an open practice day on Friday April 29th and I should be able to take people out for passenger rides since I'm an instructor with them (I'll have to double check with the organizers to be sure).

Anyway, if you can make it, grab your helmet and come along for a ride. I'm excited to see what a carefully prepped and well sorted 16v can do on such a high-speed circuit.

LanEvo I hate you, very nice car. I'Ve always had a sweet spot for these cars.

I am looking to get a cheaper car to replace my M3, looking at 2.5-16 but can't find one (even from germany they are 14k euros and Evolution II are 40k euros)
There are quite a few regular 2.3-16V in "normal" condition, but sometimes, people try to sell them $15k here, which is high IMO. I can't justify the prices people ask just because they are rare, you can get a C43, which is also rare, for cheaper sometimes!

just for some laugh... $15k for a 255000km 2.3-16V: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...edes-Benz-190-Series-black-W0QQAdIdZ247934329

You need to show BMW fans that mercedes had good track worthy cars in the 1980s

lol even today you,ll never find an Evo II selling for 40k Euros, the last one that was on sale was 125 000 USD because it was mint with 126 Km, but the last one that was sold on carandclassic was like 87 000 euros.

I might have found a guy that would trade his 2.3 16v (about 120 000) for my C36. But I really want a 2.5 16v. SO HARD to find.

I think you need to learn how to search internet.

there are quite a few EvoII for sale, even two official DTM cars.

today, you can buy two EvoII, two DTM and a few Evo I on mobile.de
and a bunch of 2.5 16V (yes 2.5, not 2.3)

I really want a 2.5 16v. SO HARD to find.
For the kind of stuff I'm doing, the 2.3L is a better engine than the stroker. If you look at the successful 2.5L race engines (Evo II and Klasse I), they were based on the 2.3L block, with single-row timing chains and everything. They were short-stroke/big-bore engines optimized for huge top-end power while still maintaining reliability. The long-stroke version of the 2.5L would be great for low-range torque, but it has some limitations on the track.

j'connaissait pas le site Mobile.de a ce prix la, jpense que j'vais vendre ma C36 pour m'acheter un EVO 2

Nice build! J'ai hâte de voir la suite, j'aime les projets de ce genre!

Pour ma part je modifie aussi une W201, mais j'y vais selon mes goûts plutôt qu'une "restauration d'origine": moteur 2jz single turbo, exhaust 4" ss, différentiel arrière de skyline gt-r r32, mags amg 2008 avec pneus stretched, shocks/springs bilstein, big brakes AMG 4pistons, swaybars 500E, etc etc la liste est longue.. ca fait plus de 3 ans que je travaille dessus, j'espère la sortir cet été!

n697582483_2324546_632030.jpg

c'est presque pu une mercedes rendu la ahahahah. mais bon j'espere la voir pour le peu de temps que je vais etre au quebec cet été.

Back