My 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer project

Thanks! lots of exciting things happening.
  • Cage is almost done. Just needs to be finished, prepped, and painted.
  • Recaro Pole Position GRP seats will be low-mounted to custom seat brackets integrated into the cage.
  • Window nets, harnesses, and other safety equipment will go in once the cage is done.
  • Coilover suspension is in. Pics soon.
  • Black-out grille, Euro headlights, SPA Design GT mirrors, and other details will be sorted next.
Updates soon...

Cage is in!

Just got the 16v back from the cage builder...

DSCN0949Large.jpg

DSCN0948Large.jpg

DSCN0951Large.jpg

DSCN0952Large.jpg

DSCN0950Large.jpg

It's getting prepped and painted this weekend. Very little work left to do. Should be done in plenty of time for Mosport (crosses fingers).

Nice. While the car is (perhaps) still at the cage builder, have him add one tube from the base of the A pillar to the firewall to a) reinforce this area and b) probably save your legs in the event of a hard frontal crash. It make the shell stiffer as it reinforces the front bulkhead. I understand you may not want to the front shock tower, but this little extension helps a lot tighten the front end with the center section. The tube shall be welded on a plate (obvioulsy) located where the vertical sheet metal meets the bulkhead.

Somehow like that (in my case I went up to the shock tower area).
Cage_Final_12.jpg

Welds not finished
Cage_Final_14.jpg

Nice. While the car is (perhaps) still at the cage builder, have him add one tube from the base of the A pillar to the firewall to a) reinforce this area and b) probably save your legs in the event of a hard frontal crash. It make the shell stiffer as it reinforces the front bulkhead.
I agree completely...and this is something I had specifically requested. However, to be class legal, the cage had to be a 6-point design. I was worried that the foot box would count as an extra point, so we skipped it. If it turn out to be legal, we'll go ahead and add it in.

I had also requested a cross-bar going from the top corner of the A-pillar down to the base of the cage. I think you have something similar in your '02. However, the door opening is so small that such a bar would have make it practically impossible to get in and out of the car.

Prototype front strut from Ground Control vs. stock...

190efrontstrutsfromGroundControl.jpg

Prototype rear suspension set-up from Ground Control...

190erearsuspensionfromGroundControl.jpg

Strut housings done and power coated GT3 Orange...

190efrontstrutspaintedGT3Orange.jpg

Window net installed...

Windownet.jpg

Starting to paint cage...

Paintingrollcage.jpg

Recaro Pole Position seats (before cleaning)...

RecaroPolePosition.jpg

I'm not too crazy about the color of the seats (I wanted black). But they're light, FIA-approved, and I got a good deal on them locally. So I jumped on them. They cleaned up pretty nicely and don't look too bad.

Last edited:
sa va etre une vrai machine de guerre ton affaire. tu me donne le gout de garder ma C36 pi dans une couple d'année la modifier pour en faire un char DTM Lapping.

Front struts fitted

The Ground Control front struts are in:

GroundControlstrutsinstalled.jpg

GroundControltopmount.jpg

Rears will go on tomorrow. Then the car will be corner balanced and get a 4-wheel alignment. Should be able to pick it up by this upcoming weekend.

AMG Momo steering wheel

Here's the steering wheel that's going in once the work is done...

AMG-MomoWheel01.jpg

These were the wheels used in the AMG DTM cars. Found one in great condition from a member on the 190rev forum.

AMG-MomoWheel04.jpg
AMG-MomoWheel03.jpg

c'est vraiment hot avec l'intérieur dedans!

j'vais voir une 190E dimanche justement, mais pas une 2.6 automatique :(

tres belle job, on voit que c'est pas "boboche"!!

Shifter rebuild

Had the bushings and links replaced...it was getting sloppy!

DSCN1008.jpg

DSCN1009Large.jpg

Next step will be to lengthen the shifter rods to shorten the throw. But that project will have to wait until after the Mosport weekend.

Now, there's only the diff left to finish off. Should be able to pick up the car this weekend as planned. w00t!

hey j'ai une question pour toi lancer. j'ai trouvé une 2.3 16v sur internet pas trop cher, mais elle est automatique. la converstion manuelle, c'est dispendieux ? est-ce que t'es capable de me donner un montant approximatif

sur 190rev ya des tranny a vendre:p

tu parles de la 2.3-16 couleur gold sur ebay? elle est salvage title en passant

non, j'en ai trouvé une sur un site d'annonce, mais jme souvien pu lequel faudrait que je check. elle avait l'air en bonne condition, pour ce que jpouvais voir. 135 000 Km environ. beige auto.

Back