My 190E 2.3-16 vintage racer project

Video from Watkins Glen

Short session from Watkins Glen with the local Porsche Club chapter. Gorgeous weather:

Video from NJMP-Thunderbolt

Here's a session at NJMP-Thunderbolt from this past winter. Track temps were just above freezing. We got a sprinkling of freezing rain during the day; got hit by a monster blizzard on the drive back home. It was pretty intense.

Surprised by how well the Yoko A048 tires held up under such miserable conditions! They suck pretty bad on a hot/dry track, but did fine on this day. Weird.

So the Ultimate Track Car Challenge issue of GRM arrived today...

Ooh. This is interesting. Looks like there's some 190E content in this issue...

Turn to page 26. More 190E content. But this car looks familiar...

Quick update...

Got some Weber 48 DCO/SP side-drafts mounted on a manifold made by Hartmann for their old 190E DTM car. Throttle linkage under construction.

We're also building up a race engine using a Euro block (higher compression pistons) and a pair of cams with a rally profile (relatively low lift and high duration) from Cat Cams in the UK.

New exhaust under construction.

Lexan windows on order.

Will post pics shortly.

Qu'est-ce qui fait qu'un cam "rallye spec" a un lift relativement bas?

Edit: Congrats for the mag feature..

Took the car out of storage after a particularly long and nasty winter. Here's the footage from NJMP-Thunderbolt this past Monday:

Tried a couple of different camera angles this time. Also, I cut out all the fluff: no more 20 min videos!

Here's another...

Here's short (<3 min) clip highlighting a minor "Initial D moment" at Calabogie last year:

Those Yoko Advan A048 tires don't take heat very well. And I flubbed the shift a little, so there was a kind of inadvertent clutch kick that started the ball rolling.

Scenes from VIR

Believe it or not, I've been doing track stuff for about 15 years and this was my first ever trip to VIR. I can't believe I missed out on this! What a fantastic place. The folks at Tarheel CCA ran a very tight ship. Tons of track time: I put in 340 track miles (100+ laps!) over 2.5 days. Here are some pics from the event...videos to follow.

The Venue

First race...yay!

So, we put the finishing touches on the car in preparation for the first race.

First off, halo seat with fresh FIA stickers:

Harnesses, center net, and window net with fresh SFI stamps:

Fire suppression system and ignition kill switch in place:

Series sponsor decals in place:

Rookie decal on the rump:

Passed NASA annual tech and BMW CCA CR event tech:

Ready to go! Updates from Calabogie shortly.

Photos from first race

Finished my first race weekend with BMW CCA CR at Calabogie. I was at the back of the pack, but had a great time. Can't wait to do it again!

Photos courtesy of Susan Dobson.

Came home to find this in the mail: the "Spirit of Club Racing" award for the Calabogie weekend.

It was very unexpected and makes the event even more memorable for me. The BMW CCA Club Race guys really made me feel welcome! I'll be back for sure.

Back