PROJECT VR6 install Supercharger M90 thunderbird With Video

the chains stretch no dought..when i did a friends chains.. motor had about 200 xxxkm and the old chain was just over half a link longer then the new.. and both guides where broken..

just imagine where this plastic goes jeez such a bad design

the chains stretch no dought..when i did a friends chains.. motor had about 200 xxxkm and the old chain was just over half a link longer then the new.. and both guides where broken..

just imagine where this plastic goes jeez such a bad design

Yes a bad design you're right, I got 105000 Miles on the motor and I compared the chains, they were exactly the same.

I did a lot of research before starting, It is very hard to find other info or pics on Supercharger porting. I did what I think was good and on what info & pics I found on the net.
The next best thing to do on mine is to replace the rotor pack with a Gen-3 GM which have a epoxy coating on them. But I will wait to try the set up first and make sure all is good, then we'll see...

Glad you already know about the coater rotors, some guys swear it makes a big difference. I think you'd be hardpressed to find a site better than club gp for GM S/C info tho... Worth checking out... Still trying to find my pics and notes from when I did my job, although I could have sworn that I posted them in the domestic section....

Glad you already know about the coater rotors, some guys swear it makes a big difference. I think you'd be hardpressed to find a site better than club gp for GM S/C info tho... Worth checking out... Still trying to find my pics and notes from when I did my job, although I could have sworn that I posted them in the domestic section....

I got some info from clubgm.com, but I tried to find it but it's like they removed it???
There was a section for Mods 3800 series-2...all gone??
Are you driving a GP or Regal supercharged?

I drove a grand prix GTP for like 8 years, sold it last summer. You may want to try clubgp.com (club grand prix), since its mainly 3800 guys on there

Last edited:
Upgrade your OEM Timimng chain parts that are obviously OBD I to the newer all plastic tensioner like in the OBD II VR6.

No more rivited composite material that can break off and chain chatter.

You will want to keep your Dual chain Camshaft Sprokets from the OBD I in order to use OBD I timing chain, as it is much better and quieter than the single chain found in OBD II.

Upgrade your OEM Timimng chain parts that are obviously OBD I to the newer all plastic tensioner like in the OBD II VR6.

No more rivited composite material that can break off and chain chatter.

You will want to keep your Dual chain Camshaft Sprokets from the OBD I in order to use OBD I timing chain, as it is much better and quieter than the single chain found in OBD II.

I have replace with the new updated tensioner & plastic guide not metal.....just to let you know I have OBD-II with double chain, it depends on what year built, I believe 97 and up is a single chain..

If anybody knows where I can buy 3 inch aluminum pipe or tube about 4mm thich or 1/8 inch here in Mtl plz let me know........Thanks

Since the Supercharger comes from a Ford 3.8, as you can see in the pictures this is the hat or outlet part of the supercharger, I decided to make it a 2.8 to match the VR6.

projectsupercharger009-1.jpg

superchargerproject034.jpg

superchargerproject036.jpg

superchargerproject038.jpg

So now the new head and chain kit is in place

projectsupercharger003-1.jpg

At this point, why not replace the clutch also!! So I installed a new clutch Sachs and decided on a lightweight flywheel at 10 lbs. See the difference in pictures.

projectsupercharger004.jpg

projectsupercharger002-1.jpg

projectsupercharger001-1.jpg

Headers or Manifolds??? One question that I never found a straight answer. Most I found was port the manifolds and they should be as good as headers....so that's exactly what I did. And also the downpipe , all gasket matched ported and polished.

BEFORE
superchargerproject037.jpg

AFTER
superchargerproject041.jpg

superchargerproject042.jpg

superchargerproject043.jpg

superchargerproject044.jpg

FOR THE DOWNPIPE DON'T FORGET TO WELD THE OUTER FLANGE
superchargerproject045.jpg

You can see the top one has been ported to compare
superchargerproject046.jpg

superchargerproject047.jpg

I decided to install heat wrap on the manifolds since the supercharger will sit on the exhaust manifold, try to keep the heat down as much as possible.
superchargerproject050.jpg

superchargerproject051.jpg

superchargerproject052.jpg

superchargerproject053.jpg

Last edited:
This build is pretty sweet, its awesome to see something different ! Great work man, can't wait to see more updates!

Im pushing around 14lbs and no engine problems at all and with all the extra work your doing with the porting its going to work alot better then mine.

Back