Volkswagen brings 2013 Golf R to Canada

g-ng

People who love the Volkswagen Golf really love it.

People who love the Volkswagen Golf really love it. It's not the most popular car -- it doesn't rate in the top 10 of most lists in Canada -- but there are enough people around to buy it.

Or are there? Volkswagen just released a pricing sheet for the 2013 Volkswagen Golf R and the numbers on the page are small. There will be 500 cars available in the country next year and some of those have already been pre-sold.

The specs page says it all:
# Dealer share of national 2010 GTI sales determines volume
# Every dealer offered a minimum of one unit

If the dealer doesn't accept their cars, the cars are held in reserve for other dealers with stronger demand.

Remember we said that there were 500 cars planned? There's more: the cars only come in a five-door hatchback and with a manual transmission. You get only one trim level with no options and five body colours: rising blue metallic, candy white, deep black pearl, tomato red and carbon steel grey metallic.

The suggested MSRP? $40,000 CAD and the dealers are not being allowed to put holds on the cars.
01-2012-volkswagen-golf-r-1299686811.jpg

06-2012-volkswagen-golf-r-1299686814.jpg

source:
http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/04/25/volkswagen-brings-2013-golf-r-to-canada-in-small-numbers/

http://auto.sympatico.ca/nouvelles-automobile/6290/500-volkswagen-golf-r-pour-le-canada

4 doors for moar whores i guess. wasnt this thing supposed to be like 270hp?

I think it's more like 256HP. I guess less weight from the big V6 hanging over the front axle is always a good thing but I don't see why it should be 7000-8000$ more than a WRX. It's a nice interior for an economy-based car but doesn't merit the stiff price increase to put it in the same territory as a BMW 328 or a Mercedes C Class...nor does it have STI-EVO performance.

I think it's more like 256HP. I guess less weight from the big V6 hanging over the front axle is always a good thing but I don't see why it should be 7000-8000$ more than a WRX. It's a nice interior for an economy-based car but doesn't merit the stiff price increase to put it in the same territory as a BMW 328 or a Mercedes C Class...nor does it have STI-EVO performance.

Nice interior and exterior are worth the 7-8k imo. I wouldn't buy a wrx even for 25k because it's too ugly and poorly finished.
And if there are only 500, they will be collector. I wonder how many civic 4wd were sold here in '87.

I totally agree with you. 36-37ish would be a more appropriate price IMO. Although it doesnt perform like the evo or sti, it completely blows them out of the water interior wise. after 10k km my STi is a rattlebox, ill be pulling most of the interior apart soon to try and cut down the rattles.

I totally agree with you. 36-37ish would be a more appropriate price IMO. Although it doesnt perform like the evo or sti, it completely blows them out of the water interior wise. after 10k km my STi is a rattlebox, ill be pulling most of the interior apart soon to try and cut down the rattles.

I haven't seen great reviews about the MKVI Jetta-Golf interior quality.

As for the WRX, I don't understand why so many people hate on the car's interior. It's not an Aston Martin, fine, but it's very comparable to other hot hatches-sport compacts. You can get leather, xenons, sunroof, gps, heated seats, etc....I've been in many different nice Euro sports cars and can't say that the Subaru is that bad.

The mk6 jetta has horrible reviews, but I haven't read anything wrong about the mk6 golf, it's pretty much the same as the mk5. The golf is now placed over the jetta.

The subby has a poor design, fit and finish is so so, materials (plastics, cloth) are really poor, driving position isn't as good as in a german car imo.
Du cuir dans un wrx c'est comme donner de la confiture aux cochons.
L'époque où on pouvait acheter une Mercedes avec des vitres manuelles me manque. Un bon char, solide, fiable, bien finit, exlusif, mais pas de gogosses inutiles qui tombent en panne. Maintenant c'est l'inverse, plein de cossins mais aucune qualité, mentalité américaine, adoptée rapidement par les asiatiques.

Nice interior and exterior are worth the 7-8k imo. I wouldn't buy a wrx even for 25k because it's too ugly and poorly finished.
And if there are only 500, they will be collector. I wonder how many civic 4wd were sold here in '87.

You're just repeating what everyone says about every single car manufacturer aside from Aston Martin or Ferrari....People complain about pretty much every vehicle's interior-build quality-fit and finish.

Not really, if so many people were complaining, the would actually improve fit and finish, not stay the same or decrease all the time. First gen impreza had soft touch plastics everywhere. I had a ride in a 2001 impreza (first gen still), it was comfy, quiet, well finished and no rattles, only some rust, like any 90's car.

Some brands made imrpovements though, like Mazda, Ford, Chevy, Land Rover, Jaguar and Nissan. But Honda, Toyota and Subaru are going the wrong way to cut a few dollars off the MSRP.

I haven't seen great reviews about the MKVI Jetta-Golf interior quality.

The Jetta has not got the best reviews but the Golfs interior has received a huge amount of high praise buy pretty much every automotive publication out there.

It's cool but too expensive. Honda should make a civic 4wd for a decent price.

Too expensive? It's going to be $2-3k more then a fully loaded GTI.

For $2-3k, you get all the stuff from the fully loaded GTI plus:

-AWD
-Exclusive wheels
-Full body kit
-Big brakes
-56 more horsepower
-Limited edition vehicle

I think you get a lot for only $2-3k more then a GTI.

I'm of those who's thinking about the Golf R. Don't forget that a WRX, with equivalent equipment (leather, GPS, HID) goes for about $36500, which is still cheaper than the R, but nowhere close to the $32k people mentioned.

But I can't believe how HIDEOUS those wheels are. And black mirrors instead of color-matching ones, or even better, brushed aluminum à la Audi S-Serie?

Back