Starlite, the nuclear blast-defying plastic that could change the world

Cyclonicks

Two decades ago amateur scientist Maurice Ward invented a material that could resist the force of 75 Hiroshimas. So why haven't we all heard about it?

source

sneak peek

Ward certainly believes in his product, claiming publicly that it could have prevented the space shuttle disasters. 'Starlite has a Q-value [an energy absorption rating] of 2,470. The space shuttle tiles have a Q-value of 1.' Not only that, but because Starlite is so lightweight – 1mm thick, compared to 75mm for the space tiles – it's actually '2,470 x 75 times better'.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

I read about this many years ago in the Montreal Gazette. Interesting how it's popping up again

^^^

Indeed. Question is why would people pass it up?

My opinion, it's because these days things are made to break to promote cyclical consumption. Imagine making a kids toy (provided it's still relevant) out of Starlite. Your Great Great Great Great Great grand son/daughter could technically still use it.

There's a reason people say don't make them like they use to. Only change comes about when it makes more profit for a company.

Right on.

J'ai un vieux frigidaire ici qui date des années 50..... marche comme un neuf......... aujourdhui tu te croise les doights pour qui dure plus que 15 ans!

Sur wiki...

Ward has allowed various organizations such as the Atomic Weapons Establishment and ICI to conduct tests on samples, but he has not allowed them to retain samples for fear of reverse-engineering. With additional demands of 51% profits from commercialization, which may have hindered Starlite's takeup.

Ça explique pourquoi on voit pas le produit encore....

I'm trying to remember where the hell I saw it, musta been on TV a few years back... Probably discovery channel, this starlite stuff reminded me of it... Maybe it was starlite itself and I just don't remember but I saw a dude taking a helmet covered in stuff similar to this and put a torch to it while it was on his head, IIRC it was there for a good few minutes and nothing ever happened to the material... It was absolutely astonishing how this stuff just dissipated the heat.

*Edit* Here I found what I was talking about - It's called "FirePaste"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

He even has a possible body armor -

http://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=63

Back