HDTV outdoor antennas !

It depends where your location is ? I get all the possible channels 25 and counting, but then again I am an OTA enthusiast that tweaks everything to perfection.
The best possible antenna you can get locally is a Channel Master CM4228HD or the Antenna Direct DB8 8 bowtie UHF antenna, they go for around $100.

If you need info on which antenna I can help, there are only a handful of recommended and proven outdoor and indoor antennas, the rest are all snake oil that don't deliver what they promise and waste your money !

Please provide your postal code and I can check what you can able to receive from your location and which antenna to recommend.

AD DB8 is the top recommend outside antenna at this point !

Last edited:
It depends where your location is ? I get all the possible channels 25 and counting, but then again I am an OTA enthusiast that tweaks everything to perfection.
The best possible antenna you can get locally is a Channel Master CM4228HD or the Antenna Direct DB8 8 bowtie UHF antenna, they go for around $100.

If you need info on which antenna I can help, there are only a handful of recommended and proven outdoor and indoor antennas, the rest are all snake oil that don't deliver what they promise and waste your money !

Please provide your postal code and I can check what you can able to receive from your location and which antenna to recommend.

AD DB8 is the top recommend outside antenna at this point !

EdT, are thoses directional or omni ? Are directional better usually than omni ?

EdT, are thoses directional or omni ? Are directional better usually than omni ?
Those are excellent multi-directional antennas and they'll get almost all the US and Canadian stations in the area, except WVNY (ABC22), which broadcasts on VHF13. To get good reception on ABC22, you need to combine one of the antennas EdT mentioned with a good VHF13 antenna (like this one).

Also note that the two antennas EdT mentioned are HUGE, so you may not be allowed to install those if you live in an apartment building or a townhouse. But you can go with the Antennas Direct DB2, which is a quarter the size of the DB8. Point it towards Mt Mansfield, VT (SSE, if you live in Montreal, or straight S if you live in the Sherbrooke area) and make sure you don't have any tall buildings really close in front fo the antenna. I also recommend getting this 10dB inline GE Amplifier from Addison Electonique. It costs only $10 and is amazing in boosting your antenna signal.

I had a DB2 antenna, plus a Delhi 5y13s antenna, a VHF-UHF combiner and the $10 amplifier set up on my balcony (on a broomstick) between 2008 and 2010. It worked flawlessly. I was getting about 40 channels in total, many in HD (all the major US networks from Vermont and Plattsburgh, all major Montreal networks).

You can find lots of great info about OTA reception in Montreal in this discussion on the digitalhome forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53294

Got a monoprice $18 HDTV antenna(inside) , using it in Mont Tremblant and I get 3 HD Canadian channels. Quality is not crazy, it bugs from time to time...
Just saying...

l'ampli 10db ca fait des mois que Addison n en a plus en inventaire

souvent juste une simple antenne fait de coathangers donne une bonne reception

I forgot to mention another very useful tool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
Enter your postal code and your antenna height above ground level (in feet) and it will give you a nice report on the stations you should be able to receive. (including orientation, signal strength, etc).

@Alain: dommage, c'était un vraiment bon ampli pour le prix. Je vois que ca coute plus sur e-bay. Peut-etre que Raybel en a?

Last edited:

All "high gain" antennas such as the bowtie and Yagi designs are all "directional", but not as much as a narrow beam width a Yagi design.
Omni directional antenna are only sufficient for local broadcast channels, you won't catch the US channels.

I would only recommend the bowtie design for the Montreal area either it is a 2 bow, 4 bow or 8 bow outside antenna since it will catch both US and local channels without a rotor and only unamped log periodic antennas for indoors such as condos and apartments.

As for channel ABC 22.1, you will be able to catch it once CFCF-12 analog is off the air, no need for a separate high VHF channel specific Yagi.

As for channel ABC 22.1, you will be able to catch it once CFCF-12 analog is off the air, no need for a separate high VHF channel specific Yagi.

ca depend Trois-Rivieres transmet sur le 13 analogique jusqu'a la fin du mois le signal grafigne a montreal quand tu vis en hauteur un peu et rentre assez bien et j ai cru comprendre que le 13 garderait sa frequence pour passer au digital

DO i need a CM7777 preamp with a CM4228 antenna ?
I'd first try with the cheap $10 10dB GE amp that i mentioned earlier. It works wonders.
The problem is that you live in Laval and Mt Royal is in the way between you and the CBC transmitter. Mt Royal may also affect your reception of the Mt Mansfield, VT channels (pretty much all major US networks), so you may need a more powerful amp, like the CM7777. But i'd still try the cheaper one first.

DO i need a CM7777 preamp with a CM4228 antenna ?

Again depends where your location is ? In Laval, probably not an quality drop amp will be good enough !
Always try to avoid using any type of amps if unnecessary, any amps no matter how good they are induces noise(dB) which makes your HDTV tuner less sensitive to the gain of your antennas signals and also if the amp fails you don't get any signals, try to go on your roof in the winter months ! ...LoL

I just moved to Mirabel and didnt update my forum profile. I guess i might need one from what you explain. I will try without and see the results.

I just moved to Mirabel and didnt update my forum profile. I guess i might need one from what you explain. I will try without and see the results.

Ok, in Mirabel you might need it, but try without one first, if you get like a weak signal or if you see the PSID data on a channel, but no signal lock then you might just need a drop amp instead of a more expensive preamp. Most preamps are 25dB-30dB gain which can be too powerful and overload and damage your tuner if your not careful.

in Blainville at my friend house with an antenna made with coathangers 16 foot from the ground we got all the american channels except channel 22

Boom to the top

ok je vien de demenagé a Laval

jai ma télé ...mais la je veut des poste je sais que se soir c'est le shut off des poste analogique

et que sa prend une bebelle truc machin pour prendre des poste avec une antenne

maintenant Ou je vais pour me procuré tout sa et a quel prix

je veut des oreille de Lapin et le truc convertiseur

Back