02-03 subframes issues

Erad

Legacy Member
I was doing a bit of work on my 02 WRX the other week, saw my subframe and control arms are both rusted right through.

Wondering if this is common with any other members?? I've seen on NASIOC and other boards it seems to be prevalent in northern states, MA, NY, VT etc.

I've got new control arms to go on, but am thinking of just removing the U Subframe and throwing on an ebay H frame if at anything at all. Any thoughts/comments are welcome. I know the fuel delivery became an issue on 02 models and there was eventually a recall. If Subaru has used inferior materials in fabricating this supposed safety specific piece that renders the vehicle dangerous now, Transportation Canada may be interested to know. I contacted them once about the Fuel issues (smell of gas in cabin in cold winter) and they arranged my free repairs with Subaru and tracked other complaints to the point, as I understand it, of forcing a recall.

Another pisser is I have an anti-rust device that is supposed to prevent corrosion.. 200$ at CT wasted..

I have the fukn same problem with my subframe and my control arm , I hesitated to sold the car and buy a cleanest one
...and i smell gas too ..do u have an idea where the odor come from ?

If gas smell is in winter. I posted a thread about that several years ago here. I went to transport Canada and they helped me get Subaru to fix it. They have a new part for 03+ that doesn't leak gas over your intake manifold and block. I think also since, Subaru Canada has issued a recall for this. You'd have to check with transport canada I think for that recall.

Yes, both my control arms are rusted right through..terrible metal used on these parts. Aluminum ones I have now will never rust.

thank u for the informations ...I was very not laughin when i saw the quality of the metal and I was in the incapacity of goin at home after my day of workin cause my wheel was touching my mudflaps...after then I saw a hole in my subframe ..humm

Back