Official PORTRAIT Thread, Officielle de PORTRAITS

Thx for the feedback, that picture is straight out of the camera. I still need to learn how to adjust them. The kids are my nieces and i love shooting them, kids are always fun to shoot

I find it hard to get good photos of children... they're so unpredictable. I once shot a friend's child at a park for an hour. I took as many photos as I would have taken at a wedding ceremony, lol.

As for adjusting them, if you're shooting RAW, just use any post-processing software, and use the RAW sliders to adjust. Very simple, and adds a lot to the photo.

I find it hard to get good photos of children... they're so unpredictable. I once shot a friend's child at a park for an hour. I took as many photos as I would have taken at a wedding ceremony, lol.

As for adjusting them, if you're shooting RAW, just use any post-processing software, and use the RAW sliders to adjust. Very simple, and adds a lot to the photo.

Focus on the closest eye, put it on continuous shooting and fire away. Our D700 rocks!

Yeah that's what I do. I have to stop shooting at aperture larger than f/2. Kids move back & forth too much.

Here's the last wedding I shot in 2011.
My shots are all candid, photo-journalist style. Hope you like my ''style''!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

^Same here. I like how you shot with the slave flash in the background too, it really adds to the photo.

Saturation's gonna saturate.

Great shot, and I love the Vegas background. I want to make it out there soon, but really pushing for Europe this summer.....

I'd tone down the saturation just a bit on this shot, or at least just on his skin. Looks too reddish, but could be my work monitor as well... I know, I use that excuse a lot here, but it's the only chance I get to actually browse through MR and the photo section, lol.

Last edited:
Sometimes its just the Adobe RGB to sRGB conversion that messes up the saturation..

I never de-saturate the skin or very rarely..

Here is one i took with my GF in the old port, 35mm with available light @ iso2000

Jour 162 by Sebastien Morin, on Flickr

I don't shoot many portrait and i would like to know if theres specific processing for sharpening/NR, vibrance, tone etc... C&C welcome!

Great shot.

As for PP, usually you don't want to sharpen too much, or else it will show a lot of the skin's faults, unless you want to soften it yourself, though your girlfriend seems to have flawless skin. :p The tone really depends on how you want the photo to feel (just like any other photo), as long as the WB doesn't seem out of wack. I don't usually add vibrance, as it makes the skin more orange/yellow.

A bit of C&C on this photo:
1. Never cut body parts at their "hinges", i.e. wrists, elbows, knees, etc. Usually you should cut at the middle of the limb, so your eye "imagines" the rest. Here, you cut her at both her wrists. :(
2. Shoot with a bit less head-space here. If you framed just a bit lower to see more of her hands/legs, and a little less above her head, IMO it would fill the frame much better, and fixing problem from #1.
3. Maybe shoot a step or two to your right. That way you'll be able to see more of the clocktower's silhouette, as opposed to being blocked by her hair.

That's pretty much all I can give you. Lighting is great, WB & contrast looks good!

A few from an engagement shoot I did a few weeks ago:

chris_isy-engsample-005.jpg

chris_isy-engsample-006.jpg

chris_isy-engsample-008.jpg

chris_isy-engsample-009.jpg

chris_isy-engsample-010.jpg

chris_isy-engsample-012.jpg

Last edited:
For controlled environments like engagements, I almost exclusively use my 50mm f/1.4G on a D700. Sometimes I'll swap lenses for a different look, but I love the 50 so much.

Back