Engine Braking

I think I read somewhere that rev-matchin when downshifting is useless in today's car? Is that true?

It's partially useless. Modern transmissions are synchromesh, so you don't have to rev-match and double clutch when changing gears. However, if you don't rev-match, you still put excessive strain on the clutch, transmission, transmission mounts and motor mounts.

It's partially useless. Modern transmissions are synchromesh, so you don't have to rev-match and double clutch when changing gears. However, if you don't rev-match, you still put excessive strain on the clutch, transmission, transmission mounts and motor mounts.
thanks for the info!*tu*

je sais pas si quelqu'un sait de quoi je parle mais si je prend exemple sur ma Fiesta, j'ai pas besoin de rev match parce que quand je pese sur la clutch le moteur anticipe a quel RPM je vais rentrer ma prochaine vitesse et se positionne directement sur le rpm ideal pour la prochaine vitesse... serieux je sais pas comment ca marche, mais ca marche pis ca shift super doux sans jamais cogner

Personally i downshift when i need to slow down from a very high speed quickly. Even while downshifting i still use the brakes a bit. Other than that i usually just use my brakes. If your worried about wearing out your brakes get ceramic brake pads :)

je sais pas si quelqu'un sait de quoi je parle mais si je prend exemple sur ma Fiesta, j'ai pas besoin de rev match parce que quand je pese sur la clutch le moteur anticipe a quel RPM je vais rentrer ma prochaine vitesse et se positionne directement sur le rpm ideal pour la prochaine vitesse... serieux je sais pas comment ca marche, mais ca marche pis ca shift super doux sans jamais cogner

Ton char est automatique. Ta pas de clutch, la troisième pédale dans ton char, c'est toi :p

It will put more stress on the tranny if you don't rev-match but who the hell does that?? Freaking big noise and your head on the dash...

If you rev match it wont put anymore stress than if you let go of the gas while driving..not too much stress there if you ask anyone.

Tu uses quand même tous les mécanismes, les bearings, les joints, à force, de clutcher et shifter pour rien, à moins que tu sois un pro qui rev match assez bien pour te passer de la clutch. Je m'en crisse un peu, et un char bien traité devrait pas avoir de troubles, mais bon.

C'est cool mais ça use les syncros quand même à la longue si tu double clutch pas.

Et si vous croyez que des syncros c'est pas tuable, bous essayerez les yaris de ma job. La moitié ont des vitesses qui accrochent et elles ont toutes été rebuildées avant la fin de la garantie.

rev-match down shift...engine brake, then brake to a stop
(race pads are noisy)

Go to a race track at least once a week and they should stay quiet.

Only idiots regularly use the part of the car designed to make the car speed up to slow down. You're putting unnecessary stress and wear on parts of the car that weren't designed for stopping the car. While you're at it you may as well cut a hole in the floor and brake fred flinstone style. Engine braking has its time and place, and daily driving isn't it.

Des synchro ça peut durer très longtemps si l'auto est pas conduit en épais, ma corolla a 372 000km sur la transmission originale et les rapports rentre comme du beurre même à haut régime, et un kit de rebuild ( synchro ring, bearing , seals ) c'est pas super chère.

Generally, I leave the car in whatever gear it's in and then go to neutral just above idle.

Sometimes I downshift smoothly. The objective is not to slow the car with the clutch. Keeping the car in a low gear keeps the drive wheels from locking up. I'll downshift if I'm coming off the highway, or in poor conditions.

Des synchro ça peut durer très longtemps si l'auto est pas conduit en épais, ma corolla a 372 000km sur la transmission originale et les rapports rentre comme du beurre même à haut régime, et un kit de rebuild ( synchro ring, bearing , seals ) c'est pas super chère.

C'est cher à installer...
Et ta Corolla a sûrement fait pas mal de route.

never, brakes are retarded cheap

you will not brake faster anyways

heel-and-toe double clutch to take a corner is always fun though

i'm gonna sound like a welfare case; depends on the price of gas.
my reasoning is simple to be honest. if i'm revving up to 3000-ish rpm i'm using gas that may as well be gold. so if gas is high i'd rather use my brakes, if gas is cheap i'd rather use my gas. but i live in rural ontario, you guys in MTL stop 3281651293x more than me anyways lol

i'm gonna sound like a welfare case; depends on the price of gas.
my reasoning is simple to be honest. if i'm revving up to 3000-ish rpm i'm using gas that may as well be gold. so if gas is high i'd rather use my brakes, if gas is cheap i'd rather use my gas. but i live in rural ontario, you guys in MTL stop 3281651293x more than me anyways lol

When engine braking, you are using no fuel at all, so depending of the conditions, it may be more fuel efficient to engine brake, or to coast in neutral...

Back