Who does rustproofing themselves here?

ElliottG

Using a gun like this from any auto parts store:

Air_Rust-proofing_Gun_W_Cup(DS-7)_2.jpg

Please just post here and say what oils you use.

I'm having problems spraying some of the oil I bought...I bought the 9000 stuff from the auto parts store and it sprays fine through the gun but when trying to spray through the little hose attachments that it comes with it's like a no go. Do you guys spray the thinner stuff (5000?) through the little hoses and then 9000 through the gun? Like WTF? I thought it was suppose to spray both fine...

Thanks,
Elliott

Yes,

I also go to this dude:

514 519 1726

Ask for Martin they do an Unbelievable job for 75 bucks.

5000 stylex. That's what I spray. Then he lifted the car and sprayed the rest with the same. It sticks like crazy.

I do it myself using some rust proofing stuff I bought at the flea market..No idea what grade it is but it works really well.

Does it have any numbers on it? And are you using that same gun that I showed here? With the two attachments?

i have the same gun and have been using it for a few years...

The little thing for the attachement has been loose lately so i usually wrap a terry towel around it so it doesnt spray everywhere...

Also i dont put any attachment when spray the undercarriage , the only attachment is for the interior.

Hope it helps.

PS: Put the grease in a hot place so it becomes liquid, in my opinion it shoots better.

Thanks guys.

Davidn what oil are you using? Is it pretty thick or kind of liquidy? And exactly I don't use them for the undercarriage but I want to use them for inside the doors and the fenders where I drilled the holes...right now I can't cause of this "problem".

Spaenaur merci. Oui j'ai déja essayé plusieurs pression sur mon régulateur de 30psi jusqu'a 80psi. Ca dis max 80psi à l'éntrée et 30psi au nez...mais ca aide pas! Je pense que pt l'huile que j'ai est trop d'épaisseur pour shooter dans les petits tuyeaux... :(

When we rust proof under the doors, under the hood ect..... we use the small tube attachment and we run it around 120psi. Otherwise the wax we use wont flo.

Wow that high. Hmmm...the gun I'm using says max 80psi so I'm not sure I should go that high? I don't want to break something on it...Or are you using the same gun?

un de mes amis en fait et il s'est patenté une ancienne tank à propane de BBQ pour mettre l'huile et il la met sur un réchaud de camping électrique pour la rendre plus liquide. Je ne sais pas quel grade il utilise mais ça sort aussi bien que de la peinture. Peut-être que la chaleur pourrait t'aider

wear a mask when you spray. I've been around places and I see guys just spraying the shit out of cars with nothing to protect their lungs. ***cough*** steve's carwash ***cough*** duratech ***cough***

You're giving yourself a guarantee to serious lung problems.

J'ai les 2, le 5000 et le 9000.

Le 9000 j'le shoot jamais au gun. J'le spray au pinceau c'est beaucoup plus épais, beaucoup plus durable. Donc celui la je l'applique sous le plancher partout ou c'est accessible. Prend un pinceau de genre 5 pouces c'est tres rapide et c'est bon pour 3-4 ans si tu le sort pas le véhicule l'hiver.

Le 5000 est adapté pour le gun. Il est plus liquide. J'men sert pour les endroit restreint avec le gun + le cable. Par contre il dure moins longtemps, environ 2 ans s'il sort pas l'hiver.

Thanks for your input. Also what air hose sizes are you guys using? I'm using 1/4" hose and hoping that's not too small for this application...

Will have to pick up some 5000 tomorrow and pray to god that it works.

seriously, i keep the oil when i do an oil change. so I recycle that engine oil to do rustproofing on my 12 years old beater, which is still clean.

Any oil is good...just how long it will stay is a different story.

Anyway I bought the more liquid 5000 today vs the 9000 and still more or less the same problem...will shoot out of the 90 degree attachment BARELY, and will not shoot out the 360 degree one at all.

I think it's a problem with my air line now...using 1/4" and should be using 1/2"?

Thanks guys.

Davidn what oil are you using? Is it pretty thick or kind of liquidy? And exactly I don't use them for the undercarriage but I want to use them for inside the doors and the fenders where I drilled the holes...right now I can't cause of this "problem".

I don't remember the name by heart but it is not too thick not too thin a bit thicker than a mcdonald poutine gravy (sorry for the bad example couldn't find any thing else...)

Here's some troubleshoot you can do :

1. Check your compressor , Is it strong enough? Did you plug it to a multibar? Did you let him compress all the air ?
  2. Check your air line. The shorter the better. Maybe move your compressor closer to car...
  3. As mention earlier , check your oil, put it in a hot place so it "becomes more liquid"
  4. Worst case scenario , Something might be jam in your gun , clean it and shoot some thinner to rinse it.

Thing to do while and before rustproofing:
  1. Jack your car and put something to protect yourself in case it falls.
  2. Block 2 of your wheels with a brick
  3. Put plastic tarp/cardboard under your car (dollar store sell it)
  4. Gear up (Glove,glass,mask,terry cloth,suit if possible)

I think thats it!

Good luck!

PS: I didn't understand when you said you won't shoot undercarriage?

Back