Kumho Ecsta V700 Competition Tires (DOT Legal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverViper

Premium
I bought these tires for street use and they are pretty amazing. They stick like glue to the pavement. Here are the specs:
UTQG : 50 Traction: AA Temperature: A

I can't even compare with the Michelin Pilot Sport with respect to dry traction or cornering. However, they stress the drivetrain a little bit which is not a real issue. Also, they pick up every little rocks on the road since they are really sticky; 3M plastic cover is mandatory to avoid excessive sandblast!

9 out of 10 for these superb tires. *tu* *tu*

However, if treadwear life is an issue for you, DON'T buy them!!

Toyo RA-1s would be better for street use than V700s (especially for rain). but my guess is the V700s stick better in the dry.

regards,
Liam

Reactions: Sev
Veritech said:
Toyo RA-1s would be better for street use than V700s (especially for rain). but my guess is the V700s stick better in the dry.

regards,
Liam

The Toyo RA-1 is not available in these sizes: 335-35-17 and 275-40-17. It is hard to find tires which fit the Viper!! *banghead*

:D

Yes, RA1s would be better for the street. They can last like 10k kilometers with excellent grip... The Kumhos will offer better grip but they won't be as good for the street.

I was running RA1s on the street back when I had my s2000, they are great, lots of fun.

The interesting thing is that they offer a real smooth ride. They are more comfortable than the Michelin Pilot even at 38psi!!

SilverViper said:
The interesting thing is that they offer a real smooth ride. They are more comfortable than the Michelin Pilot even at 38psi!!
If you pulled an 11.8 with those michelins, imagine how much faster you can pull with the added grip of the kumhos...

They aren't drag tires but the compound still offers better grip than a street tire in a straightr line.

Sev said:
If you pulled an 11.8 with those michelins, imagine how much faster you can pull with the added grip of the kumhos...

They aren't drag tires but the compound still offers better grip than a street tire in a straightr line.

You are right! They are not drag tires (the sidewall is really stiff) but the grip is much better than the Michelins and this could likely help at the drag strip.

THey offer AO32R in that size? I know that RWD guys are supposed to prefer those tires. That and the hoosiers... but those are too "slick" for the road.

Sev said:
Yes, RA1s would be better for the street. They can last like 10k kilometers with excellent grip... The Kumhos will offer better grip but they won't be as good for the street.

I was running RA1s on the street back when I had my s2000, they are great, lots of fun.

You ran the Ra-1s daily? Even in the wet? Impressive. I was under the impression that the RA-1s sucked in wet. When I say "they suck in the wet" I realize they probably don't pump water like the T1-Ss, but I thought running them in any kind of wet was dangerous?

In my case, I don't take my car in the wet at all so it is not an issue. However, with 6/32th of tread (I got them heat cycled but not shaved), they can be used in the wet without any problems!!

SiRGodfather said:
You ran the Ra-1s daily? Even in the wet? Impressive. I was under the impression that the RA-1s sucked in wet. When I say "they suck in the wet" I realize they probably don't pump water like the T1-Ss, but I thought running them in any kind of wet was dangerous?
Actually, I've heard that while there is still decent tread left on an RA-1 they are very good in the rain. I've yet to try them out myself though...

SiRGodfather said:

First, a distinction has to be made between wet asphalt and standing water.

When they are new, they come with 8/32nds of tread, they are better than any street tire in the rain. When they get down to about 5/32nds which takes about 3-5k kilometers, then you have to be careful and not go out on days when there is standing water on the ground. At 4-32nds, you have 4 lines left in the middle which basically a slick at that point... In montreal it very rarely rains heavily in the summer. Ya it rains but not crazy amounts.... Also, at the time, I had a second car...

Its doable as long as you take it easy on the heavy rain days or stay in.

Last edited:
hahaha! Jesus Christ! 335-35-17 and 275-40-17 ... :D :D :D

That's pretty amazing. We had 295s on one of my friends' Chevelle and thought they were sick wide. 335, that's hilarious. :D

I was thinking of getting some R-compounds for the street next year but I'm worried about the tread life. Do you guys think they'll last the summer if I drive them hard?

I've got Yoko's Advan A032R and pretty satisfied of them! :thefinger For your monster, i think advan make the A048R :bigup:

Clement :p

What size and what car? I have tried small ones in a civic, but thats not what I need... I want some 245's in back and 225's in front (sorry... not a viper but fat tires by NORMAL standards MR. Steamroller)

SiRGodfather said:

RA1s are considered the "poor man"'s rain race-tire (full thread). they're great in the rain.

regards,
Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back