Buying used private car from Ontario

I've purchased several vehicles from ontario each time was a little different.

They MAY ask for insurance, so bring proof just in case.
I was with the previous owner twice to the ontario license bureau and once with only the signed ownership and used car seller's package. They asked for proof of insurance and they asked for the signed ownership and used car seller's package but the seller did not need to be there.

I was once asked to provide PROOF OF CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP. I showed my qc driver's license and they refused to sell a trip permit to me unless I showed them a passport or birth certificate. I obviously had neither on me and the women there were complete bitches, I was 2 hours passed toronto I asked them "am I gonna have to drive 10 hours back to quebec and here?" they looked at me and pretty much said "yes".

I had to have my dad fax over a copy of my birth certificate, the women wouldn't give me a trip permit without seeing it. It only happened once, but apparently they are allowed to ask for it and some ontarians really hate quebecers so they will do everything they can to screw you over. I've always brought my birth certificate since, just in case I had to deal with some crazy bitch again lol

You get a 10 day trip permit in the meantime you have to pass the QC safety, once you have your safety certificate and vignette, you go to the SAAQ and plate your car/pay your taxes.
Did you have to pay taxes when doing the transfer at the Ontario DMV?

Did you have to pay taxes when doing the transfer at the Ontario DMV?

Never when buying from a private seller, you're going to have to pay hst if you're buying from a dealer though, and pay tvq when you plate the car in Quebec but they also give you a form to get the Ontario tax refunded once you paid tvq.

Back