1998 BMW M3 Track Car Build Project

don't worry Dave, we're putting the knee protection back in. It was removed to gain accessibility to wiring, tar and stuff.

Je suis entrain de faire un peu a la raven avec mon E46 et je peux vous dire qu'il y a beaucoup de poids dans le rear bulkhead! Je suis rendu a enlever la tole au dessus des roues pour en arriver comme sur les photos et je crois qu'il y a encore quelques livres de plus à aller chercher la. Pour la rigidité à environ 1.1lbs le pied pour du tube (1.75 x 0.065")... tu peux enlever bien des affaires et renforcir en tube pour être plus léger et plus fort!

Oktay, try to keep some good knee protection in there. :)
If the weight concerns you, remove your other four pounds of tar.

Link to parts weight:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10543252&postcount=1

According to this links, we have removed close to 450 lbs of the car as of now.

Putting back some race buckets, harnesses and roll bar should add back 100-150lbs to the car. So we're between 300-350 lbs of weight reduction. Don't forget though, we did not put the lightweight wheels yet (6lbs per wheel), suspension (maybe 10lbs overall) and other miscellaneous stuff. Looks like we may hit 27xx with the rollbar! woot! :)

Last edited:
You done well !
Car a lil higher off the ground ? :p

Did you remove the heater core ?..there is a mod using a lightweight convertible fan on Bimmerforums.
Monday nights I'm usually 250 pounds lighter with just bolt offs and carpet nonsense.
Will remove another 50 pounds before spring.

M3 brakes are heavy...but Seb may have a set of used floating lightweight front discs somewhere. ;-)

We did not remove the heater core, nor the A/C components (yet). Haven't decided if we we're removing them this year. It's a lot of work.
Not really interested in floating rotors. 500$ too much in my opinion, espacially for a "wear" item.

I will be cleaning up the wiring some more: remove airbag system wiring, all the headliner lights and crap like that. Dunno about the door cards yet. We may remove them too. As far as weight reduction is concerned, the objective is low 2800lbs with the rollbar in.

We did not remove the heater core, nor the A/C components (yet). Haven't decided if we we're removing them this year. It's a lot of work.
Not really interested in floating rotors. 500$ too much in my opinion, espacially for a "wear" item.

I will be cleaning up the wiring some more: remove airbag system wiring, all the headliner lights and crap like that. Dunno about the door cards yet. We may remove them too. As far as weight reduction is concerned, the objective is low 2800lbs with the rollbar in.

C'est le poids du E46 M3 avec roll bar ça:p

Si tu laisses les doors cards, enlèves les airbags et speakers au moins! Tu peux laisser les beam dans les portes, ils sont en alu et pas trop lourd même si ils ont l'air massif.

Pour les discs, les floating sont plus léger et dissipent mieux la chaleur. Mais si tu as du budget, achète des Performance Friction rotors 2 pieces, UNSPUNG WEIGHT!

Les airbags s'en vont, ça s'est sûr! Les speakers aussi.

Anyways, à ce point-ci, ce n'est que spéculation car on a pas mis la voiture sur les balances. :)

X2 what Marc said.*tu*
They should make a difference in your Time Attacks.(3-6 pounds less each wheel)
Floating discs don't warp and last a long time.

I would keep the front door cards until you put bars there.

If you remove the Air Conditioning belt, you can still use the electric Fan for additional cooling.
Would be good especially when sharing the car. :bigup:

Enough with the rotors already! :p I can get DBA slotted rotors for less than 300$ for a pair. Why would I spend 500$ US + shipping for floating rotors or over 600$ us for PF rotors and subsequent 400$ us replacement disks? To me it makes no sense. We will be eating through rotors with 2 drivers, and to me, 300$ for a pair of DBA slotted disks is more than enough.

At one point, the budget is not unlimited. We need to drive the car, not build a garage queen. :D

The floating rotors will last longer, and when replacing them you just need to replace the ring and swap the hat over. It's only more expensive on your initial purchase. ;)

No it's not. The replacement disks are 190$ Each + shipping + taxes.
The Euro spec floating rotors are sold as a set. You cannot simply change the disk. So those go for 500$ a pair.

DBA slotted disks cost me 300$ for a pair.

No it's not. The replacement disks are 190$ Each + shipping + taxes.
The Euro spec floating rotors are sold as a set. You cannot simply change the disk. So those go for 500$ a pair.

DBA slotted disks cost me 300$ for a pair.

I was referring to DBA floating discs. You can't get those?

Encore une fin de semaine terminée et encore une autre mise à jour...

J'ai travaillé pas mal fort sur la voiture ce weekend et disons que j'ai peu progressé!! ;) En effet, presq'une fin de semaine complète à installer 2 bancs et remonter le dash sans coussins gonflables. Pour les bases, nous nous sommes équipés de repliques de bases VAC Motorsports avec un anti-submarine kit et des adaptateurs pour ceintures. Voici ce que ça l'air sans sièges.

P1010603.jpg

Ensuite, beaucoup de gossage plus tard, voici ce que ça l'air avec un siège:

P1010617.jpg

P1010618.jpg

Voici le résultat du siège conducteur, un beau siège OMP HTE avec système de retenue pour tête:

P1010608.jpg

P1010609.jpg

P1010616.jpg

Et voici le résultat du siège passager, un beau petit OMP TRS de base:

P1010613.jpg

P1010611.jpg

Voilà, il ne reste plus qu'à attacher la ceinture d'origine et amener la voiture chez Bimmershop pour fabriquer l'arceau. Ce sera ensuite les modifications mécaniques pour donner un peu plus de "ommph" à une voiture ben ben ben torqueuse... ;)

Back