'96 Grand Cherokee Project!!!

Thanks guys! I am really doing my best - lots of work ahead but with the nice weather, I'm happy with that :)

I went to CT to look for a Cherrybomb Turbo muffler, but apparently they stopped selling them (and crushed all the old stock, wtf?) Something to do with new laws, and a corporate decision. I checked pretty much every store on the island before asking lol. Probably going to install a flowmaster 50 instead.

To me a truck shouldn't have a loud sounding muffler, if i were you i would work on saving money and dumping it into the suspension and bumpers and fender flares and transmission, i just don't think it's worth it replacing a muffler if not needed to. just my 2 cents. i'm not bashing your preferences in modding.

To me a truck shouldn't have a loud sounding muffler, if i were you i would work on saving money and dumping it into the suspension and bumpers and fender flares and transmission, i just don't think it's worth it replacing a muffler if not needed to. just my 2 cents. i'm not bashing your preferences in modding.

I don't want a loud muffler at all. My stock muffler is pitted, and I wanted to get a Cherry Bomb turbo on there, which is just as quiet as stock easily. If it was a V8, that would be a different story ;)

Updates since last time, went to Federal and got a Dynomax Super Turbo welded on... At idle it sounds like a V8, and it's not too loud. A bit of drone at around 1500rpms, but I'm quite happy with it. Apart from that, picked up a hood deflector on kijiji for $20.
My rear diff is leaking a bit, which I need to take care of. I'm waiting on a new front grille from a friend who can get cheap prices from scrap, and my 2'' lift will probably come in a few months, when I've got more cash to spend.

Last edited:
I haven't updated this in a while.

A lot has been done recently, basically still correcting older owners mess. I got a header panel off a MR member with new headlights, because my old one was destroyed and my lights didn't sit straight. Been running bumperless for a while now, painted my metal bumper with gravel guard. Also painted all my side moldings and rear bumper black, along with a bunch of other long overdue maintenance (trans fluid and filter, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, etc...)

Lift is waiting for tax returns. 2 or 3'' depending on what I decide.

Here are some quick pics

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

Recently cleaned engine bay
DSC00601.jpg

You should leave it without the bumper cover. It looks good that way. :bigup: Your engine bay looks 100% cleaner than mine... Actually, your jeep is way to clean :p

You should leave it without the bumper cover. It looks good that way. :bigup: Your engine bay looks 100% cleaner than mine... Actually, your jeep is way to clean :p

Thanks guys! My Jeep is really not clean at all in person; it's quite a mess actually, just hasn't been in the mud enough :p Engine bay was a half an hour job, super easy!

I have my 2'' Fat Bobs lift on the way. Looking forward to installing that :)

Also went to Federal and got them to install a Dynomax Quiet Flo SS instead of my old Super Turbo. The sound is so much better; a lot more defined but still not too loud.... I'd compare it to a Flowmaster 50 :)

Weirdest thing, trans went from grinding and slipping to like brand new. I don't know why, but I'm not going to complain because I really didn't feel like swapping that right now a anyway. Got my 2'' lift on with some Procomp shocks as well. Rides pretty nicely!

DSC00768.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

Thanks!

An argument for the 2'' lift, they're just coil spacers, 70$ shipped for a set of four, and very easy to install. Anything bigger and you're changing a lot of parts and replacing bushings left right and center. Plus my tires aren't big enough to fill the wheel wells if I had gone with a 3.5'' lift. My buddy's WJ is lifted 4'' and he's always having to get it aligned and change bushings or his whole front end shakes out of control. That's something I really wanted to avoid considering I don't need the extra clearance.

Most people that just want a daily driver with some offroad potential go with 2''. Cheaper and a lot better than stock :)

I need all new front balljoints but I'm not going to do that for a little while. I am still debating whether I want to spend 300$ on a rad support with tow hooks.

I need all new front balljoints but I'm not going to do that for a little while. I am still debating whether I want to spend 300$ on a rad support with tow hooks.

300$$? I'm sure you could find a bumper with d-rings or with tow hooks for that price. Check on quebec4x4 if you're not a member yet.

Back