Your PRs?

Don't care about others, your goals are your own. You are training, that alone is already better than 98% of the population.

Je dirais plus 99.999999 % de la population ... prend un echantillonage mondial pis je pense pas que grand monde benche 2 plaques !!!

Pis je suis daccord avec ce que tu dis, avant je regardais ce que les gens autour fesaient et ca me gossait, ca me rendais pratiquement malheureux :p
Il y aura tout le temps quelqu'un de plus fort, plus riche, plus beau ...

185cm or about 5'11 and 92-93 kg, dunno whats that in pounds.

TW how hard was it for you to get to a muscle up? Tis my personal objective this year

Cool, 2 plates for 8 reps is not that bad for someone who weighs 205 lbs. You can definitely do more, though. I'm the same height (185 cm is 6'1" BTW), but I'm 35 lbs lighter than you and I do 10 reps.

BTW, I'm also interested in muscle ups. I saw a trainer at my gym doing one last week, I liked it. I think I can do it, but I'm too scared. Any advice?

Cool, 2 plates for 8 reps is not that bad for someone who weighs 205 lbs. You can definitely do more, though. I'm the same height (185 cm is 6'1" BTW), but I'm 35 lbs lighter than you and I do 10 reps.

BTW, I'm also interested in muscle ups. I saw a trainer at my gym doing one last week, I liked it. I think I can do it, but I'm too scared. Any advice?

That's sick actually, I want to get to 10 by the end of this year as well. Stable 10 that is, not 10 at the beginning of the week and 5 and the end haha. Why would you be scared of a muscle up, there isn't much that can go wrong really :p Maybe it's just me cause I've been into gymnastics for a long time and have done all sorts of crazy shit on and off the bar.

As for advice, well I know the techincal bit of it but I've never been able to do it yet. You gotta be good at dips and chinups. Mostly chinups though because the more inertia you build up at start the easier it will be. The trickiest part is the transition from hanging to "standing" on the bar/flip of the wrists/elbows up.

I know I'll get there eventually, chinups is my fav exercise.

TWhy would you be scared of a muscle up, there isn't much that can go wrong really :p Maybe it's just me cause I've been into gymnastics for a long time and have done all sorts of crazy shit on and off the bar.

As for advice, well I know the techincal bit of it but I've never been able to do it yet. You gotta be good at dips and chinups. Mostly chinups though because the more inertia you build up at start the easier it will be. The trickiest part is the transition from hanging to "standing" on the bar/flip of the wrists/elbows up.

I know I'll get there eventually, chinups is my fav exercise.

A LOT can go wrong with muscle-ups. You can easily get a shoulder rotator cuff injury if you're not careful.

Chin-ups and dips won't help that much. What you guys are probably struggling with is the transition and that's 100% shoulder strength. Start doing hand-stand pushups or strict presses to build your strength there. Alternatively you can build up to a real muscle-up by doing:

1. Kipping muscle-up
2. false-grip muscle-up aided by leg push
3. strict false-grip muscle up

Final result should look like this:

TW: what's your snatch PR ?

im following you but cant picture very well how are shoulders involved 100 % in the transition... cause i dont even feel them engaging when I try

A LOT can go wrong with muscle-ups. You can easily get a shoulder rotator cuff injury if you're not careful.

Chin-ups and dips won't help that much. What you guys are probably struggling with is the transition and that's 100% shoulder strength. Start doing hand-stand pushups or strict presses to build your strength there. Alternatively you can build up to a real muscle-up by doing:

1. Kipping muscle-up
2. false-grip muscle-up aided by leg push
3. strict false-grip muscle up

Final result should look like this:

TW: what's your snatch PR ?
Is that you?

My gym doesn't have a chin-up bar, they only have wide, medium, and neutral grip handles which are all angled. They don't have rings either. I'm assuming that this makes it more difficult. Should I try kipping muscle-up or go slow? I'm afraid that I'll lose my balance and do a faceplant or something since I've never done any gymnastics. I do strict presses, 145 lbs for 5 reps (military press).

Is that you?

My gym doesn't have a chin-up bar, they only have wide, medium, and neutral grip handles which are all angled. They don't have rings either. I'm assuming that this makes it more difficult. Should I try kipping muscle-up or go slow? I'm afraid that I'll lose my balance and do a faceplant or something since I've never done any gymnastics. I do strict presses, 145 lbs for 5 reps (military press).

Nope, just a video from the Internet. Also, a bar muscle-up is a bit different than rings MU. I'm not sure which one is more difficult. For me, it's the bar ones, for others it's the rings. The risk of doing a faceplant is nonexistent unless you are attempting a back lever or maltese cross which I'm assuming you will still be years away from :)

The biggest risk I find is the shoulder injury. Most people when they start they tend to have a wide grip which is way harder than a short grip. With wide, you place a lot of torque on your shoulders and you can definitely break something there if they are underdeveloped.

Regular gyms suck but see if maybe you can bring your own rings ? I would recommend you hang them low and start with the kneeling muscle-up:

!

You can buy rings from here: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/store/homepage/xtreme-rings-black.html but don't buy the 'Gymnastics Bodies' book though, it sucks. Get "Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low if you want a good intro to gymnastic movements book

Edit: here's what a maltese cross looks like :)

thats some pretty good info regarding muscle ups.

and I definitely agree. When I teach a muscle up to a member, I always ask 2 questions first. Can you do (several) chest to bar pullups? and can you do (several) dips? if the answer is yes, I work on the transition with them until they can do it in their sleep.

@catharsis my snatch PR is 195, I'm usually able to put up 180-185 pretty consistently during a heavy snatch session. Trying to break 200 but no success yet :S

I wouldn't know actually, I don't bother with 1RMs. I could tell you how much I lift using my usual rep ranges but I've never measured 1RMs.

Back