2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i base CVT - Test

Lexus

So I took my Impreza for servicing and they gave me a new Impreza as a courtesy car. Got to do a bit of driving with it and I wanted to share my assessment:

I won't touch too much on design, it's personal anyway. I really like it, although not necessarily much more than the previous generation. What I really do miss is the projector headlights.

What impressed/surprised me the most about the car:
- The suspension calibration and setup is very very well done (for an econobox, of course). It's comfortable and quiet yet sporty. Much better than the previous generation that's kinda boaty.
- the acceleration at highway speeds. Maybe it's the CVT or I dunno what but 100-140 is done much faster then in the previous generation despite having 22hp less.

The good:
- Gas mileage for an AWD is indeed pretty good and considerably better than the previous generation. It is of course far from what the manufacturer says but that happens with pretty much all car makers. It will take on average about 1.5 to 2l/100 km less than the old Impreza, which is a really good improvement.
- Although outside it is the same size, the interior feels much bigger and more airy and the trunk is considerably larger and more ergonomic as well.
- Interior quality and fit and finish is a big improvement. Many soft touch materials, trunk finish is much better, nice big display on the center of the center console.
- they added a trip computer with more functions even to the base model. Pretty much the same functionality as I have in the Legacy.
- Pretty quiet cabin and just feels very solid on the road
- Very good visibility with more "window surface"
- acceleration from standstill is better than I expected. Not sure if it's faster or slower than the old generation (magazines say it is slower) but it does not feel slower and if it is, the difference is very small.
- the CVT is really not too bad for a CVT

The Bad
- sound system on the base model is horrific. The one on the old generation was not good either but this one is just ridiculous, at least on radio. Didn't try a CD so maybe it's a radio problem only but still....
- I'm not a huge fan of the identically sized gauges. I actually really like the gauge style of the last generation, with the bigger speedometer in the middle and 2 smaller gauges on the sides. The new style is not bad but I just prefer the old ones.
- no projector headlights
- a bit too much wind noise caused by the sideview mirrors
- they removed the auto on/off headlights from the standard features of the base model which I find silly. They are present from the Touring on but still...
- the interior door handles went from metal/chrome to plastic. The look and feel of the old metal ones was much better.
- they still cheap out on little things like illuminated and auto up/down on all window switches that you don;t even get on the Limited.
- addition of a pointless BMW style analog fuel consumption gauge under the speedometer but still no engine temperature gauge (just the little blue light when cold) WTF?
- still an inefficient foot-well heater ducts design
- CVT is still a CVT...feels a little weird compared to a tradional automatic

Anyway, all in all I really liked it and it is definitely up there on the list for possible replacements for our current Impreza when the lease is up.

Nice review *tu*
Seriously considering this as my new car. It's starting to grow on me.
2012_Subaru_Impreza_Sport_--_02-29-2012_front.JPG

Moi j'adore la mienne !

Ton review ressemble pas mal à la réalité, heureusement la mienne est Manuelle !! J'ai le modèle de base blanc hatchback comme sur la photos avec mags aftermarket cheap RSSW 16 pouces avec 4 Nokian Hakka 7. Une machine d'hiver !!

Je metterais des photos a soir ou demain.

Les gros + du chars : AWD pour 20 000$ et excellente consommation. En Conduite normale sur la grande route par temps pas trop froid, ca peut faire en bas de 7 litres au 100. Meme en ville par temps froid on s'en tire en bas de 10 litre au 100 ce qui est excellent pour un AWD. J'aime le son du moteur, même si c'est neuf, on peut déceler légèrement le son du moteur Boxer ce qui est très plaisant à l'oreille. Cependant c'est pas puissant pour 5 cennes et pas beaucoup de torque. Le drive-by-wire est lent et souvent plate pour les rev-match.

Je tenais absolument a avoir une AWD... Ya pas beaucoup de choix
Ma blonde a une Matrix AWD 2010 et c'est seulement automatique et c'est 13 litres au 100km de moyenne et AWD plutôt bof. La SX4 est cher et c'est un AWD cheap qui embarque quand ca glisse (comme la matrix cependant on peut la locké). La nouvelle Lancer AWD est seulement automatique. Sinon dans mon range de prix il restait Audi A4 Quattro used ou BMW 325/328Xi used mais c'est un autre gamme de prix et l'entretien plus cher.

Si vous cherchez une vraie AWD qui va bien et consomme raisonnablement, c'est un pensez y bien. Mais c'est pas un char de course !

the cvt on most cars seem to make the car faster , but it's only because the engine is stuck at red line for as long as you keep the throttle floored..but it's not faster in reality..toomuch noise from the engine..sine it's stuck in the high rpm..

J'ai vu un review sur Youtube et en Manuel, sur un quart de mille, c'était 16.2
Avec CVT on tombait a 17 secondes. Tres lent dans les 2 cas mais encore pire en CVT

j'avais essaye le lancer cvt et en demarrant d'un stop c'etait long a monter le rpm..une fois passe le 4k..ca allait bien..

I drove the hatch in Manual and it's beyond slow. Sorry 140hp was acceptable for 15 years ago but not today, ill glady take a couple MPG less but have some power on tap. The CVT is MUCH better then Subaru's former 4sp slushbox offering but I find there is just too much spread in power in the Impreza range. The base should come with 200hp, 265WRX and 300hp STi. I love the look of the white hatch back posted above and Subaru's but it's not a purchase I can live with knowing my car only has 140hp... Have fun going skiing with 4 people in the car and a load of gear.. You won't make it up hills unless you're revving the hell out of the engine.

I drove the hatch in Manual and it's beyond slow. Sorry 140hp was acceptable for 15 years ago but not today, ill glady take a couple MPG less but have some power on tap. The CVT is MUCH better then Subaru's former 4sp slushbox offering but I find there is just too much spread in power in the Impreza range. The base should come with 200hp, 265WRX and 300hp STi. I love the look of the white hatch back posted above and Subaru's but it's not a purchase I can live with knowing my car only has 140hp... Have fun going skiing with 4 people in the car and a load of gear.. You won't make it up hills unless you're revving the hell out of the engine.

AWD + 200HP @ 20k...you're asking too much I think.

The new Acura ILX will get a SOHC 148HP engine so it's not that bad heh..

- Interior quality and fit and finish is a big improvement. Many soft touch materials, trunk finish is much better, nice big display on the center of the center console.

c'est plate à dire mais ya juste broody qui est qualifié pour juger de ça!

joke à part, si j'avais pas ma corolla, j'y penserais en mosus à une impreza :)

L'intérieur est mieux finit, mais c'est vraiment pas écoeurant, le style de l'intérieur fait déjà vieillot je trouve et l'habitabilité (le coffre surtout) très bof.

AWD + 200HP @ 20k...you're asking too much I think.

The new Acura ILX will get a SOHC 148HP engine so it's not that bad heh..

Justement, ils seraient mieux de charger un peu plus cher 23k$-24k$ et mettre un moteur qui a de l'allure. J'ai pas acheté la Legacy pour ça. 170HP dans un Legacy c'est pas suffisant. Pour avoir du power ça prend la GT et le prix commence à être dans la cour des grands. Pas sur que je prendrais une Legacy à 40k$...

J'ai un ami qui vient d'avoir la sport, manuelle, blanche. Elle est belle, mais en blanc je trouve qu'elle est un peu anonyme. Noire elle aurait été sûrement mieux. Je l'ai conduite, pis à l'évidence je suis pas habitué aux moteurs subaru parce que je trouvais qu'elle faisait un putain de vacarme. 5 vitesses manuel c'est outdated, j'suis déçu que ça vienne de chez subaru surtout en 2012. L'intérieur est beaucoup mieux qu'il était ! Il manque toujours de raffinement mais bon, c'est japonais.

I'm shopping for a car, and would've considered it, but the interior looks like it came straight out of a late 90's japanese econobox.

I'm also looking for an automatic, and the CVT is a big no-no for me. Give me a direct shift gearbox, or a tight shifting 5-6 speed automatic.

Oh and under the hood, also looks like a late 90's econobox.

I love Subaru, but they're not for me, too bare bones. They cater to a niche market, so they give you one of the nicest platforms and one of the best AWD systems, but not much else. They know they will sell based purely on the drivetrain and functionality. That is of course, unless you go into the WRX range...

I would like an in between. You either get an underpowered boring, bland car, or a 265+hp beast. If Subaru offered a 200hp version capable of the same fuel economy of the old 2.5, with some nicer interior trimming, I'm in!

Je deteste les transmissions teton-matique et encore plus les CVT.
Manuelle 5 vitesses, cest outdated.

Pour moi la puissance nest pas un no-go, je ne roule pas vite , mais le choix de transmissionl l'est. Donc pas d'Impraza dans ma cour d'ici peu. Domage pcq l'ensemble du package est tres interessant.

I'm shopping for a car, and would've considered it, but the interior looks like it came straight out of a late 90's japanese econobox.

I'm also looking for an automatic, and the CVT is a big no-no for me. Give me a direct shift gearbox, or a tight shifting 5-6 speed automatic.

Oh and under the hood, also looks like a late 90's econobox.

I love Subaru, but they're not for me, too bare bones. They cater to a niche market, so they give you one of the nicest platforms and one of the best AWD systems, but not much else. They know they will sell based purely on the drivetrain and functionality. That is of course, unless you go into the WRX range...

I would like an in between. You either get an underpowered boring, bland car, or a 265+hp beast. If Subaru offered a 200hp version capable of the same fuel economy of the old 2.5, with some nicer interior trimming, I'm in!

I was actually talking a while back with the sales director at Sources, when they announced the new Impreza, and I asked him if there will be any other engine choices since 148hp seems low for an AWD car, even if a compact. He said they won't and I pretty much told him it would of been a very smart move to add something at around 200hp in the line-up, for a few thousand more of course and it's a shame they don't.

That being said, the power is really not that bad, it's more than enough for our traffic and driving conditions (people drive way to slow and our speed limits are...well, we all know) and at highway speeds, as I said, it is very surprising how quick it accelerates. Hell, if europeans are more than fine driving around their awesome roads with higher speed limits in their 60-90hp cars, having 148 is still pretty good for mr et mme tout-le-monde.

Not sure if you tried it, if not take it for a spin....a longer one.

As for the interior, it actually reminded me a lot of the Rabbit interior in terms of feel and design, except for the crappy radio of course (the radio is different from the Touring up, which I would go for anyway) and just the way the car feels (interior, ride, suspension), more european than typical econo-japanese IMO.

L'intérieur est mieux finit, mais c'est vraiment pas écoeurant, le style de l'intérieur fait déjà vieillot je trouve et l'habitabilité (le coffre surtout) très bof.

Je dirais pas que c'est vieillot mais c'est tres conservateur, plus genre VW que style ultra-moderne genre Elantra ou Focus.

Le coffre n'est pas aussi grand que dans l'Elantra ou Jetta mais c'est quand meme grand, bcp plus qu'avant, l'ergonomie est bcp mieux (les "barres" du coffre ont du casing en tapis, il n'y a plus de "bosse" a cause du AWD et c;est juste bcp plus soigneusement fini. Pour le fun je me rappele qu'a salon j;ai fait expres pour regarde cette aspect la, et c'est drole comment bcp de constructeur ignore le coffre. Le Focus as de loin le meilleur interieur dans les compactes mais quand t'arrive au coffre j;ai etait shocke (et chui pas shocke facilemenet) comme c'etait mal fait.

Moi j'suis rendu a 4400km avec la mienne et tout ce que j'ai à dire c'est : wow je suis satisfait à 100%
Une 5 portes manuelle, blanche, le modele en haut de celui de base, je sais pu le nom

Pour le radio je sais pas comment y ont patenter leur affaire mais la radio le son est vrmt dla marde, mais le bluetooth avec mon iphone sa sonne super bien (pour un radio subaru)...

Have fun going skiing with 4 people in the car and a load of gear.. You won't make it up hills unless you're revving the hell out of the engine.

That's BS and you know it Gregster. I've been rolling in my cars for almost 5 years now. I have a fwd 100tq/109hp of furry and been going snowboarding with 3-4 friends lots of times, loaded with our gear and never had any issue...Unless you have poor driving skills, you wont have any problems getting there.

Back