2012 Calabogie Gentleman's GT Race Series AND Calabogie Cup

Mechs02

Hi Everyone: It was suggested by Carl at Perry that i pass by here and send along some info on the Calabogie Gentleman's GT series as one of our event dates coincide with the AISA Race School at CMP. So for those of you looking to step up the game, for a step higher than lapping, without the dangers of wheel to wheel racing yet, check out our grass roots series. It was amazing last year, and promises to be even better this year. So what are the details? Check 'em out:

THE 2012 CALABOGIE GENTLEMAN'S GT RACE SERIES AND CALABOGIE CUP

It's BAAAAACK! As of today i finalized the dates for this years GT Race Series, and I have also worked out some pretty fancy deals for the folks who buy in bulk!! Details below!!

First the official stuff:

Think you have what it takes to Race at Calabogie Motorsports Park. Why not test your racing skill in the 2012 Calabogie Gentleman's GT Race Series AND the Calabogie Cup.

What's a gentlemen's race?
It is all about camaraderie, safety, sportsmanship and just good fun! There will be specific passing zones on a fully marshalled track, so playing nice is mandatory! This are must do events, and ask any previous participants, try it once and you are hooked. This makes lapping feel like a drive to the grocery store

How do I Qualify
1. You DO need to have been signed off to drive solo at Calabogie Motorsports Park, but you DON’T need a Race License. This entails having completed at least one full day at CMP with an instructor or equivalent.

2. You and your car must have an average runtime around the full track between 2:19-2:50. This series will run on the GT Short Track, cars will be broken into multiple classes based on qualifying times.

3. You must be running a Hero Cam or some other video recording system with a removable memory card inside the car to record the race from the drivers perspective. This reason this is mandatory is for safety ad legalities in case of an incident. For the most part videos are all for your fun and review/training.

4. You will require a SNELL Rated Helmet, M2005+ or SA2005+.

5. Your car must adhere to the CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Safety Specifications located in SECTION 1 here:http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/files/2011_time_attack_regulations_online.pdf
The annual inspection list can be found here: http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/files/2012_vehicle_self_check_form.pdf
Calabogie Race officials hold the final word regarding the apparent safety of a vehicle. If they feel your vehicle is unsafe for the event, your vehicle will not be allowed on the track.

Registration

To register for an event please email me at CalabogieGT@gmail.com with the following information:
1. Name, Address, Email Address, Phone Number and DOB
2. Emergency Contact information: Name, Relation, Home and Cell phone number
3. Car: Make, Model, Year, List of Modifications
4. Experience: Minimum requirement of being signed off to drive solo at Calabogie Motorsports Park.
5. Your average lap time around the full track, and GT Track if you know it.
6. Event(s) you are registering to attend.
7. Payment – UPON SUCCESSFUL Qualification/Screening, a registration/payment link will be forwarded to you. Event registration and payment will be made here.
8. No charge cancellations can be made up to 7 days prior to an event. If purchased in bulk, cancellations will be limited, and the fees for non cancelled races (even if they have already been completed) will be changed to the single race fee, and your refund will be made accordingly. Cancellations within 7 days of the event will be charged out at the full rate.

Pricing - Single Events
Per Event - $250.00, HST included (Not Including the Calabogie Cup)
Calabogie Cup - $450.00 HST Included
Full Day Test and Tune - Subject to standard 1 day CMP Lapping Fees

Pricing - BULK EVENTS
Package 1:
Bulk any 3 GT Race Events (Not Including the Calabogie Cup) - $600.00 (HST Included) -
This price also includes 1 Full Day Test and Tune of Your Choice
To Include the Calabogie Cup, Please add $350.00

Package 2:
Bulk all 6 GT Race Events (Not Including the Calabogie Cup) - $1,200.00 (HST Included) -
This price also includes BOTH Full Day Test and Tune dates
To Include the Calabogie Cup, Please add $300.00

Event Dates
1. TEST AND TUNE #1 - Saturday April 28th (FULL DAY)- GT Track Configuration - Pricing (if bulk events are not purchased) is subject to regular CMP rates.

2. GT RACE #1 - Saturday May 5th (EVENING) - This coincides with the AISA race school, so it is a great event for those who attending the school who want to try their hand at something a little closer to racing that just lapping.

3. GT Race #2 - Friday June 8th (EVENING)

4. GT Race #3 - Friday June 22nd (EVENING) - This event will follow the full day MCO Lapping day. Great opportunity for MCO Instructors to join in since they will already be at the track. Great event for people attending the school to watch and experience what Gentleman's Racing is all about. Maybe take a ride along passenger during the race to give them the 1st hand experience.

5. TEST AND TUNE #2 - Saturday July 14th (FULL DAY) - GT Track Configuration - Pricing (if bulk events are not purchased) is subject to regular CMP rates.

6. GT Race #4 - Saturday July 21st (EVENING) - This coincides with the BMWCC 3 day weekend event. Again great exposure for the series and hopefully lots of extra participants since they will already be at the track!

7. Calabogie Cup - August 10th - Aug 12th - Multiple Races over the weekend - a guaranteed blast every year! Full schedule to be released in the spring - Coincides with the IMSA Finals.

8. GT Race #5 - Friday August 24th (EVENING) - Follows the AISA Lapping day - Hopefully bringing in more participants

9. GT Race #6 - Friday Sept 14th (EVENING) - Follows the Track and Time Time Attack Event - Hopefully bringing in more participants

Event Schedule - Subject to modification
4:00 to 8:00 PM
4:15 to 4:45 Check-in & Registration
4:45 to 5:00 Driver's Meeting - Mandatory
5:00 to 6:00 Practice & Qualifying
6:15 to 7:00 Gentlemen’s Race – GT track
7:00 to 8:00 Post Race Award Presentation & Social

Prizes
With a minimum of 5 GT Class registrants for a specific event, there will be a $250.00 Calabogie Motorsports Park Gift Certificate awarded to the first place winner of that event. More registrations = More prizes, i.e. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and same for multiple classes.

This is a pretty grassroots event, so we are currently looking for other sponsors to provide prizes and/or gifts for either placed finishes (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Last) and/or for draws. If you or someone you know would be interested in providing prizes of some sort (gift certificates, cash, merchandise, etc.), please contact me at CalabogieGT@gmail.com

Race Rules
Race Rules Gentlemen`s GT Race (Subject to change)
1. Passing will be in specific zones and is by point by only, one point by per car. If you are the second car and don’t see a point by, you must wait until you do.
2. Under no circumstances is a pass to take place without a point by signal. Once you give the point by, you must let the car pass, you may not out drag it to the next corner.
3. Passing without a point by, or passing in a non-passing zone will result in a black flag, a warning will be given in the pit lane and a second violation will result in disqualification from that session.
4. It is your responsibility to watch your mirrors. If someone is on your tail for at least 2 corners you MUST let them pass. If you stay on their tail for next 2 corners they must let you pass. Blue flags will be used, and if you are blue flagged, it means you are not doing your job and playing fair. Repeated disregard for the blue flag will result in a black flag and a drive through penalty, and or disqualification from the session.
5. This race is intended to introduce people to racing without the danger of car to car contact and drivers are expected to keep other’s safety in mind the whole time. We will do our best to not intrude on the racing with the blue flags but keep in mind that this series is a fun introduction, not the Montreal F1. Safety is paramount and we will pull anyone driving in an unsafe manner.
6. Minimum requirement for safety apparel will be: SNELL Rated Helmet, M2000+ or SA2000+, Full Length pants, closed toes shoes, and LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS. Full Racing Safety apparel is recommended.

I look forward to another fantastic series this year, and for many years to come. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

For more information on the track or the mustang race series, please visit calabogiemotorsports.com

Thank you, and I hope to see you at the track!

Matt Edmonds
CalabogieGT@gmail.com

Last edited:
Mechs,

I found some Youtube footage from some of last year's GT race and I saw that I wouldn't be comfortable just hopping on the track to race like that without having some practice on the track. You mentioned the possibility of getting signed-off for Solo at the test & tune day if I take a 3-race package; is that still a possibility? I have no doubt I would be comfortable racing around the track with traffic after having done a test day.

How long are the races/sessions?

Raptord, I believe you have 1h practice/qualifying and a 45min race, from the schedule posted.

Sounds like a nice stepping stone to W2W!

Some links to those videos would be nice...

Most of those videos you have seen are all guys out there for their first time, and the 1 hour lapping time and warm up really gets you more comfortable. But, if you buy three races, the full lapping day is free. Or if you want, we could get you to buy the regular lapping day, and if you are comfortable, and want the races, then you can buy that, and get the purchase price of the lapping day put towards the races... The biggest thing is us screening you, we want this to be safe for you and everyone else. Do you have anyone of note, Carl etc, that can back you up, saying you are good and safe?

As for timing, about an hour of practice time (with the qualifying in there), and then around a 45 min race.

Mechs,

I found some Youtube footage from some of last year's GT race and I saw that I wouldn't be comfortable just hopping on the track to race like that without having some practice on the track. You mentioned the possibility of getting signed-off for Solo at the test & tune day if I take a 3-race package; is that still a possibility? I have no doubt I would be comfortable racing around the track with traffic after having done a test day.

How long are the races/sessions?

Here is the very first one we held last year. I am in the white mustang.

[video=vimeo;25558378]http://vimeo.com/25558378"[/video]

Most of those videos you have seen are all guys out there for their first time, and the 1 hour lapping time and warm up really gets you more comfortable. But, if you buy three races, the full lapping day is free. Or if you want, we could get you to buy the regular lapping day, and if you are comfortable, and want the races, then you can buy that, and get the purchase price of the lapping day put towards the races... The biggest thing is us screening you, we want this to be safe for you and everyone else. Do you have anyone of note, Carl etc, that can back you up, saying you are good and safe?

As for timing, about an hour of practice time (with the qualifying in there), and then around a 45 min race.

Carl's seen me drive at the race academy last year and a lapping day at St-Eustache; he may be willing to vouch for me.

other than the start and the fact it is 45 minutes, what is the difference with a lapping day?

Other than the amount of track time, it is an actual race, so the intensity is through the roof, it really makes lapping look like a walk to the store. It's not comparable at all. The last race last year had 18 cars on the track, and was some pretty intense stuff. Point by passing is used to ensure safety. But you can't hold someone up. If someone is on your tail for two corners you HAVE to let him pass, or the flags start coming out. The Marshalls are very good at watching for closing speeds, and if you hold anyone up, you are flagged, or brought in, etc. Basically, if you get a blue flag... you are not doing your job.

Plus there are prizes, how often do you finish a lapping day with money or gift certificates in hand :)

Mech..... I know its easy to say, but if I had a car, I would be SO in for that. My only fear is the point by passing... I think I would tend to forget and not wait for them! ...or think of giving them. :(

Pour ceux qui veulent avoir un "apperçu" sans le facteur de risque, un événement du genre sur une piste de haut calibre, c'est dur à battre.:bigup:

Je suis co-driver pour n'importe qui.... prêt à accepter une pénalité à cause de dépassement sans respecter les point by (sans faire exprès).:dunno:

: )

Mech..... I know its easy to say, but if I had a car, I would be SO in for that. My only fear is the point by passing... I think I would tend to forget and not wait for them! ...or think of giving them. :(

Pour ceux qui veulent avoir un "apperçu" sans le facteur de risque, un événement du genre sur une piste de haut calibre, c'est dur à battre.:bigup:

Je suis co-driver pour n'importe qui.... prêt à accepter une pénalité à cause de dépassement sans respecter les point by (sans faire exprès).:dunno:

: )

Dave, you can use my Civic... if you're willing to run near the back.

Don't worry you only miss the point by once (giving or receiving) and you are getting flag to come in ;) you learn quick

Carl's seen me drive at the race academy last year and a lapping day at St-Eustache; he may be willing to vouch for me.

Missed you at the last track day, but I am sure that instructors Antoine and Vince who were present can vouch for you.
In addition, most all people that take the academy are signed off.
This should be enough.

I've been to Calabogie a bunch of times.
Fun place. If ya see a snake..kill it !

Not an instructor, but I have shared the track with Raptord on a few occasions.
Raptord is a safe driver and gentlemen on the track.
I know because I have a momentum car and he gives me a "lift" whenever I need. :)

Have Fun !

Dave S

That's my in car Matt posted up above from the first GT race.

I did all 4 GT races last year, such a blast. It's a step up from the usual lapping day. The point bys and use of Blue flags was well respected last year. Unlike a lapping session, you can't slow down, gotta stay focused for 45min, hitting every mark and going for the win really steps up your game. The Stadium track is the best kept secret there too. Turn 1 through Turn10 is a roller coaster, truely unique driving experience, you won't regret it.

I'm in for 3 races this year, plus the Cup weekend. The irony of purchasing a new(to me) car has limited my budget for 2012.
Hoping to win some of the prize money to keep going. :)

283423_10150718094455646_757775645_19902511_4989215_n.jpg

285263_10150718094630646_757775645_19902515_1814893_n.jpg

198638_10150748814265646_757775645_20307247_1247312_n.jpg

299852_10150758539870646_757775645_20432972_5132639_n.jpg

296512_10150758539890646_757775645_20432973_5685303_n.jpg

Agreed, anyone who has passed the academy would be eligible. If they haven't, that's when a vouch is required.

Missed you at the last track day, but I am sure that instructors Antoine and Vince who were present can vouch for you.
In addition, most all people that take the academy are signed off.
This should be enough.

Back