Hutchens Hybrid H&N restraint

-Johnny-

Hi guys, weighing options and looking for advice.

I've done some searching online regarding; head and neck restraints+lateral impacts.
Came across numerous discussions, its the same as every internetr discussion: ..mine is better than yours.
Ive read the HANS press release dated 2008.

My "gut" is telling me to go with the Hutchens Hybrid
http://simpsonraceproducts.com/head-neck/hybrid.html
SFI 38.1 Certifed as most all of similar products, as well as FIA 8858-2010 homogulated.
"highest level of multiple angle impact protection of any competing device."

Yes. HANS is the most popular H&NR device.
Yes, the above (Hutchens) quote is written to sell.

-I dont have lateral head support on my monocoque competition seat.
-car is equipped with safety cage+6 point harness.
-Ive once had a concussion related to an auto collision.
-Ive also regrettably suffered a "moderate" :rolleyes: traumatic brain injury.
..I want to protect myself best from that misery.
-no. I will not be competing. (yet.) ..doesnt mean I'm invincible to heavy collision/impact.

try to find who sells them locally and speak witht them, i know Carl sells ALLOT of hans devices, Hutchens idonno.

I have tried the simpson at PRI and let me tell you, never would i want to own one of these. Just a pain in the ass to put it on, so much strap to adjust and also when i tried it, i had a buckle that was very uncomfortable on my rib.

Also the legislation are thinking about geting the thetter change every 2-3 years, and the number of thetter on the simpson does bring the price of recertification up compare to the hans device single thetter

but the extra straps/tethers are for additional control of head movement in event of lateral impact!

I wouldn't mind taking the extra time, or paying the extra fees to be safe..r

thanks for responding Alex! :)

Hey John,

You've been going on a bit of a safety craze these past couple of months. One of the things to remember is that you've already taken some of the best steps possible to prevent getting into an accident on the track... learning how to drive!!

If you we're going road or rally racing, then yes, Head restraint systems are required. It's added protection; just like a suit, fire supression system, etc. You're driving 11/10th, and so is everyone else around you and the risk of getting into an incident, either caused by you, or by someone else, is much higher.

One of the things that we pride ourself on in the ASE LC is that we like to imagine, and we try and teach all of our drivers to have cool heads, and not push the limits... there is no prize money, there is no trophy at the end of the day. I'd like to think there is more potential for someone to slip and break their neck leaving their house to come to the track; than actually getting into an accident at the track.

Yes; there is no such thing as being too safe, and some people go further than others... Biokenetics thinks it's a good idea to bolt your helmet directly to your shoulders to eliminate any neck movement what-so-ever.

In the end, they both provide the same protection that they we're designed for... personally... the HANS costs less, it's an awesome product, it's used everywhere... I don't know anyone who has the Hybrid... or even where you could buy one.

Goodluck man!!

Last edited:
HANS.. Why? Every series uses them because they work.

However there is also this.. I know a couple of people who own it and love how it's not restrictive you still get full range of movement.. However I never felt "constrained" with a hans so I guess everyone is different.
http://www.isaacdirect.com/

I like it when people take time to properly research safety equipment. Driving skill won't save you from a basilar fracture.. If you are serious about a restraint system then you should also be looking at getting a helmet that is very light to complete the package.

I've never felt constrained with a HANS, and for lateral impacts, IMO, a seat with good head restraints wins every time when combined with the HANS Device.

Nascar, F1, Indycar all mandate HANS- nobody else.
Drivers in other professional series,who can choose any model, choose HANS.
I can sell any brand I feel is right for my clientele- I choose HANS
When it comes your safety, you do not want to find out after the fact that you made the wrong choice.

In your case, if the car is dedicated for the track, sell your current seat and buy an affordable "Halo" seat. You will be best protected.

Back