OFFICIAL- getting into the sport- but too lazy to read all the threads

I was looking to try out lapping this year and was looking at the AISA academy, but I am not sure I want to spend 600$ not counting the helmet I have to buy to see if I actually like it or not. I know I probably can just pay the membership fee, but how does that work for someone that never tracked their cars before? Is there a time that only newbies use the track?

I was looking to try out lapping this year and was looking at the AISA academy, but I am not sure I want to spend 600$ not counting the helmet I have to buy to see if I actually like it or not. I know I probably can just pay the membership fee, but how does that work for someone that never tracked their cars before? Is there a time that only newbies use the track?

Hello JF450,

The AISA academies are usually the best way to become familiar with the sport, but if you wish to try it out before going into it, the ASE Monday nights are also a decent option for anyone who is starting. Your progress may be a little slower, though, because you get a lot more track time during the academies. As you become familiar with lapping, you will soon learn that practice is the #1 thing to invest in to become a better driver.

For Monday nights, you need to be a member of the club for a minimal fee (100$ I think, anyone correct me if I am wrong), and sessions were 25$ for 20 minutes last year. If it is not the same this year, the fees will be similar.

Newcomers getthe following on Monday nights at the ASE:
- Theory course about safety, the track, what to do, what not to do, flags, etc.
- 20 minute sessions available every hour, dedicated to just newcomers, with an instructor on board all cars and no passing, all in a controlled environment
- Instructors will drive your car every now and then for a minimal amount of time, but only for a few laps, just to show you things that are difficult to explain. The goal is to put you behind the wheel as much as possible (another hint about practicing and how it makes you a better driver ;)).
- Once you are cleared as safe for you and the others to drive alone on the track, you will be promoted to the intermediate level, where passing will be controlled and only allowed in certain circumstances, to make sure that everything is kept safe.

You will need:
- A car in good working condition, with a passenger seat. If brakes and/or tires are soon to be due for a change, I highly recommend you change them before showing up at the track.
- A helmet Snell SA or M 2005 or later
- A will to learn and to have fun

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them. Note that you can always show up and say "hi" when we are at the track. It is free and some instructors may take you for a ride along if you have your helmet.

Hi JF450,

I was in your position last year as a newbie and I went to the AISA Academy to start out. It was the best decision I ever made!!! Instructors are really great, the organization of the event is awesome, and it's the best bang for the buck as far as quality track time you'll ever find.

After the AISA academy, I liked my experience so much (so much to learn!) that I went to the Academy in Calabogie and it was again a great experience.

I got hooked, did a lot of lapping during the summer (even bought a race car!) and I can tell you that 600$ for 2 full days of track time and great learning is the best deal you'll find out there.

The academy will give you the tools and understanding to become a better driver, tools you will need to enjoy a full summer of lapping. Also, it's a great place to meet a fun group of drivers and instructors.

Enjoy!

Are there lots of Mazda 3s running around on the track? How are they for a beginner track vehicle? Potential? Cost?

Hi Andrew !

If you already have the car , a Mazda 3 is a great car to start of with.
With good brakes , handling should be a lotta fun on technical tracks like ASE.
Wait for a year before you spend big bucks on Mods though.

If you are getting one for the track, you may he better off with a Miata or Civic.
Or...... Well you know ! :D Almost any one will do.

Best regards !

Dave

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and I have a ton of questions regarding Lapping. I did some browsing on the forum but have not found any of the info I was looking for. I hope some of you kind souls will be willing to help me out ;)

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a package deal with Experience exotic and got to drive a Ferrari F430 on the Sanair track. I loved the experience but it felt way too short. 6 laps took less than 5 minutes and just as I was starting to get a feel for the car and the track, it was over ;( Also I think 250$ for 6 laps is a bit crazy LOL

So I am trying to find out how I can do laps with my own car. I don't want to get into racing, I just want to be able to drive fast without risking the life of others (as in doing it on a track not on the streets).

Right now I own 2 vehicles: A 2016 Kia Rio (1.6 Naturally aspirated, 6 speeds) and a Dodge caravan. I don't want to get a third vehicle and I need my caravan for my work, so what ever I decide to do, it will have to be with the Rio or a replacement car for the Rio.

So here are my questions:

1. What is the best place to do what I have in mind close to Montreal? I went to Sanair, quite a long drive to get there and back, but would be worth it if they offer the best options for me. I know iCar offers something similar. If you lived in Montreal, where would you go and why?

2. Without expecting speed records, would lapping using my current car be ridiculous? I don't mind putting money into it to upgrade things like the tires, suspension, brakes and maybe boost the power through a small supercharger or turbocharger if the engine can handle it. Or would it be better to sell the car and get something better to work with like a Civic? Also, if I decide to use my car, I assume my insurance would not cover any damage if I crash it?

3. Are there other options, like maybe renting a track ready civic or other inexpensive car to lap for a few hours?

i think those are the most urgent questions I have.

1) IMO ASE Lapping or/and School your choice, both are excellent for beginners.
2) Your Kia is fine , IMO a Clean Civic wins hands down.
3) Better to believe you are Not Unsured.
Your real answers to this lie with your insurance company.
Be good and pay attention so you won’t have to deal with it.

Please read/re-read this thread , most of this is has been covered.

Back