OFFICIAL- getting into the sport- but too lazy to read all the threads

Just chiming in because you wrote about it and no one here covered it yet. I lapped with a 2001 Sentra 2.0l (SR20 platform) for about 6-7 years. I enjoyed it, but it was always hard to find parts and because not many people shared the platform here, I was always on my own to upgrade or fix it. It ended up with a lot of trial and error (as an example, I had to go through 5 suspension setups before I found one that worked well on the track), and that was nowhere close to cost effective.

With the Civic, not only am I faster at the track, but most parts are always in stock at auto parts stores, and the platform has seen so much track use that the info is much easier to find. Also, in the paddocks, you are with a buch of people that know about the car and the common issues. Also, the car being a little older, it costs lot less to maintain.

Just goes to show that originality is fun, but it comes with a price.

woah, that ECHO cup car is a hell of a deal for starters. Just need a 4A-ge 20V swap and call it a day...I'm preparing my miata for lapping this summer, 210whp at 850kg is going to be fun to drive and push around corners.

Go with Honda or a Protege, easier to build a Honda but the Mazda's handles very well. Forget the Neon.

Also think about an Integra, very good lapping cars

I was thinking, though...

If you are just getting started, shopping around for a track-dedicated car might not be the best way to go. What if you don't like it, or what if the car you bought does not suit your driving style once you start getting used to the track?

I would suggest that you come to an ASE monday night with your current car. In the beginner/red group, there is no passing and you are always with an instructor, so chances of you damaging your car in that group are very low.

Just food for thought, before you get into huge projects that may end up not suiting your needs...

I was thinking, though...

If you are just getting started, shopping around for a track-dedicated car might not be the best way to go. What if you don't like it, or what if the car you bought does not suit your driving style once you start getting used to the track?

I would suggest that you come to an ASE monday night with your current car. In the beginner/red group, there is no passing and you are always with an instructor, so chances of you damaging your car in that group are very low.

Just food for thought, before you get into huge projects that may end up not suiting your needs...

He already mentioned in the OP that he was going to start with his current car for a few events to get a feel for things ;)

Most importantly, get lots of seat time first.

The rest will follow. You'll have time to see others lap and we do have a large variety of cars in the ASE Lapping Club.

See at the track!

woah, that ECHO cup car is a hell of a deal for starters. Just need a 4A-ge 20V swap and call it a day...I'm preparing my miata for lapping this summer, 210whp at 850kg is going to be fun to drive and push around corners.

Yeah, for 4500$ aproximatly, you got 6pts roll cage, koni yellow and coil spring at all corner, stainless steel brake line, rear sway bar, strut bar, air intake, racing seat...

and like the guy says, he don't really want a lot of power, he want to know how to drive. And every body know that an echo like this car be fast at ASE...

I think for the price, you're on a very good way to start !!

He already mentioned in the OP that he was going to start with his current car for a few events to get a feel for things ;)

I guess I somewhat misread then, but still, my comment still stands. He should wait to see what works for him after getting started to see what his preferences are.

The thing about forums is that people will always vouch for what they own based on their own preferences (I actually did it myself :)), but the best way to get a properly suited race-dedicated car is to know what you actually want/need, and the only way to accomplish this is to get some time behind the wheel and make the decision later on.

Thank you very much for awesome comments guys! Very good stuff. I am definitely going to get on the track with what I have first before making any further purchases... I really love my A4 to beat it on the track so If I like it, I'll have to get something else.
Vend la A4, achète un daily driver performant sur la piste.
Give me your track M3 :D. On a serious note, props for that car, sickest track M3 I have ever seen!

il l a vendu son m3... pour vrai j irais avec un civic, une integra c est plus pesant. pis un civic tu peux t en trouver une deja swappé pour pas trop cher

Seat time and track behavior with your own car seems like the best logical choice. Then, buy a dedicated track car without selling your daily driver.

Yeah, for 4500$ aproximatly, you got 6pts roll cage, koni yellow and coil spring at all corner, stainless steel brake line, rear sway bar, strut bar, air intake, racing seat...

and like the guy says, he don't really want a lot of power, he want to know how to drive. And every body know that an echo like this car be fast at ASE...

I think for the price, you're on a very good way to start !!

You also have a car with 100hp.. Okay for ASE but take it to any of the big tracks and you'll be getting run over/always looking in the mirror. I lapped an Echo Cup car 3 times in one Session at Calabogie with my Neon... For 5-6k you can have a very quick civic, just look around at some for sale.. Not saying it's a bad choice but you can do better and won't have to worry about tipping over ;)

Another choice is a Protege with a JDM KLZE Swap.. You'll have good power and torque, the trans already has short gearing which makes it more fun. The drive train is dirt cheap and is a rather simple swap. You can get all the parts needed from a junkyard nearly for free! You can find a protege for cheap with disc brakes and after market is decent, not great but you can get good parts. Did I mention that Proteges handle great even with factory suspension? The only downside is they rust worse than Honda's... You can even make a "big brake kit" using parts from other Mazdas...

http://www.themazdaforum.com/showthread.php?t=4835

I had this in a 2nd Gen Protege and it was a blast to drive.

Last edited:
J'irais avec une echo aussi, c'est tellement plaisant à conduire, et d'après moi plus fiable qu'une civic ek (on a eu les 2 à ma job et elles sont battues à mort). Et un kit supercharger ou un blacktop 20v dans 1-2 ans n'est pas impossible.
Une Civic ça peut être intéressant seulement si elle est déjà montée, mais 90% ont l'air rouillées et/ou montées tout croche par des ti coune.

Dans ce cas ci ça ne s'applique pas, mais la echo est une des rare autos qui peut être utilisée comme daily driver et voiture de piste en état d'origine je trouve. Une Civic ek pas vtec c'est trop mou (suspension, steering, puissance) pour la piste, j'ai essayé avec la mienne (la suspension n'étais pas toute jeune faut dire) et la deuxième vitesse est longue comme une journée sans pain.

Last edited:
Broody, my mom used to own an echo and when it is stock, it is anything but fun to drive with the suspension that rolls like there is no tomorrow and the way the steering wheel, the dash and the shifter are placed with respect to the driver seat... Not the best combination in my view. Only things I liked about it were the revvy engine and when the car is completely empty - feeling light.

Greg you are talking pre-1995(I believe) body? Our family used to own one like that. Oh the memories... lol

Greg you are talking pre-1995(I believe) body? Our family used to own one like that. Oh the memories... lol

yea mine was a 93! beige with beige interior.. Made an excellent sleeper.. lol 3k for that thing? I paid 500$ for my Protege already swapped, the previous owner parked the car because it didn't hold idle and would stall. I knew what the problem was (torn wires on the air flow meter) fixed it in his driveway and took the car home.

Back