3800 L67 RWD Conversion

Evan666

Hey I'm posting here my swap that I am going to be doing. I am going to be putting a Buick Regal GS 3.8L (L67) SuperCharged in my RWD car. I've been doing alot of searching on the internet for RWD transmission that will bolt up and so far I found is T5 mustang/camaro (with a S10 2.5L bell housing), R154 from a supra (with a Dakota 2.5L bell housing) and a W58 with a Jeep 2.5L bell housing.

I already have a W58 in my possession so that is going to be my option. The only Flywheel I can use is the Camaro/Firebird 3.8L flywheel. The only thing i need to figure out is my clutch option. The Supra clutch is 9.25" and the Camaro 3.8L is 9.625" so there is only a .400" difference so I'm thinking The W58 seems like the best option so far. I will be fabricating a U bend pipe for the intake to relocate the Throttle Body and clear the fire wall.

Here are some pictures I've gathered from the web. The L67 comes in RWD platform in Australia in the Holden Commodore with a T5 transmission with a way longer bell housing and input shaft.

2hp2efa.jpg

W58 and Jeep 2.5L bell housing

2nk75tx.jpg

The Eaton M90 from the Holden L67 that comes with a cast U-bend for the throttle plate. I will make my own custom one.

2ia8mqb.jpg

Someone's home made inlet bend

34yz792.jpg

L67 in a 1979 Toyota Corolla with air redirect to intercooler then to lower intake manifold. It is chunky and gives a lag since it has alot of volume of air it needs to go through before getting into the motor.

rjehrq.jpg

Corolla with L67

2v97k1y.jpg

Holden Commodore

21kxyro.jpg

Camaro 3.8L headers on the L67 (If any one has a pair they could sell me that be awesome! Cuz I cant find any >.<)

So this engine can make a decent amount of power with a few mods. And if the SC is not enough I could always strap a Turbo to it and it'll be an absolute beast. So headers, pulley, 180 degree thermostat, ecu flash and rockers arms and a cam its gunna be over 320hp and 360lbs trq plus less power train loss since it won't be using that shit slush box. So tell me your thought on my swap and if any one has some info do share! Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh ! Good luck with the swap, finally something new! Keep up with the good work, this gonna be mad !

So it is going into this

6tlits.jpg

Heres some bellhousings I got (these arent the actual ones but I have these bellhousings.)

23r3klt.jpg

The stock T50 vs the Supra W58 that i'm mating to the engine

xd8488.jpg

Here's the Jeep 2.2L bell housing. I marked the places I want to weld one some ribs to give it some more strength.

1jn6u1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I haven't updated this in awhile so I thought that I should. So here are some pictures

Surgery on the Buick Regal removing the L67
2ypm1qu.jpg

Test fitting my OBX Camaro 3.8L headers. I just hope it clears the steering column!
2hcn81h.jpg

Making the adapters for the trottle body relocation!
2m6qzyv.jpg

More to come very soon! Going to modify the Jeep bell housing to make room for the started on the opposite side

Love the set up, I wanted to do the same thing in a Chevy Monza body v6....but couldn't find a clean one for cheap!!!

So I decided to install a M90 supercharger from a Ford Thunderbird 1990 in my 1996 Passat Wagon VR6. I'm glad I did it, what fun it is to drive now at only 6-7psi.

I work for a GM dealership, if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask.

Here is a picture of my set up.

projectsupercharger1147.jpg

any update?, y you just don't get a camaro bell housing and using a camaro clutch and flywheel?

Let me know if you need any help with your PCM

Love the set up, I wanted to do the same thing in a Chevy Monza body v6....but couldn't find a clean one for cheap!!!

So I decided to install a M90 supercharger from a Ford Thunderbird 1990 in my 1996 Passat Wagon VR6. I'm glad I did it, what fun it is to drive now at only 6-7psi.

I work for a GM dealership, if you have any questions, don't be shy to ask.

Here is a picture of my set up.

projectsupercharger1147.jpg

Yeah I might have a few questions in abit

Check out this link , look at the pictures at how the air inlet is done......I was thinking of this one for my Monza if I decided to do it.

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/mgb-v8-supercharger.htm

Yeah thats a sick build! That dude has some mad skills! the Update with my build is the Corolla is on jack stands with the differential almost on I just gotta get some 1" solid bar to make my rear Coilover mounts. The engine is disconnected and transmission is off... I lost my license, I drove with no license to get the crane and so my truck is at the impound waiting the 30 days of bull shit with the engine crane in the bed. another 800$ ticket and 600$ impound fees... Fun.

the engine is on the engine stand waiting until i am able to pull the 4ac 1.6L 8v 60hp motor out of my Corolla to finally test fit. Supercharger is off and I purchased a Gen 5 one which is better but I am going to mod both Eatons M90s test first with the stock one then the Gen 5.

any update?, y you just don't get a camaro bell housing and using a camaro clutch and flywheel?

Let me know if you need any help with your PCM

Yeah i will probably need help with my PCM. I am going to be using a bigger throttle body, I already have a 3.4" pully and 180degree thermostat. I have a T5 bellhousing but no T5 transmission... I found the Jeep bellhousing for cheap and I already had a W58. I am using a Camaro flywheel. I will probably use a Supra friction disk until I can afford a custom clutch. I am hearing that I need to machine down the flywheel from the overall hight but I dont know about that yet... I gotta test fit everything.

Why you don't just use the T5?

And a camaro v6 clutch kit out off ebay? At the same time try to find a M90 supercharge casing from austria. They already in the good side.

And you mix it with your M90.

That solve all your problem.

Good luck

I've looked fora a Camaro T5 transmission and didn't find anything under like $700 they average $700-1000. I would be able to use the mustang transmission but i'd need the camaro input shaft and would need to switch it.... Then where the hell would i find the damn input shaft.

I already have bought a W58 for $100.00 few months back for my previous project which is incomplete. I have the bell housings for the T5 (bell housing from a 1995 2.2L Chevrolet S10) and for the W58 (from a 1992 2.2L jeep wrangler) photos are above. I'm just going to use a supra clutch until i can afford a custom one. The friction disk is only like 70$ so it'll be able to move for now.

Progress on the car finally got my crane back!

4AC engine out!
ears6r.jpg

Dirty engine bay!
53s2ft.jpg

CAN I MAKE IT FIT?!
11b5gu0.jpg

And for the Australian M90 on the Holden Commodore 3.8L ecotech has a whole different body. I am going to copy what this dude did to put in a Camaro

27xh4yw.jpg

1zo86q9.png

Just trying to freakin locate some 90 degree 1/8 thick aluminum elbows.

Last edited:
Some updates of the thermostat housing modified. Gunna need a radiator with both inlets on the driver side.

2s6jwhs.jpg

2n0ojsp.jpg

x2rmup.jpg

OK so some more updates. Sorry for the few months delay just been slacking hard core and had a few other projects and jobs to do before I get back into my project seriously.

This is the Jeep bell housing that I gotta trim up abit to just have alittle more clearance so I dont have to hack my trans tunnel too far but I will have to anyways. Width reduction from 13" to 9". Also the starter pocket is on the wrong side :S So gotta cut and patch that and notch the other side to make room for the starter

After Trimmings

Camaro 3.8L Flywheel and the L67 flex plate

So I've read you have to get the fly wheel balanced with the motor and they say you gotta tare the engine apart... But luckily I read more and found out you can get the balance from the Flex plate and just match that to the flywheel! Funny thing is they both had the same spot for the off balance tuned for the engine. Only thing is that the Camaro manual flywheel was about 20g lighter then the flex plate. So you remove 20g from the opposite side to give the exact 141g balance for the L67. (Special Thanks to Zekes Performance)

So I mated the W58 to the Jeep bell housing.... Im running a little short for the input shaft :(

Its almost 1" too short... BUT I heard that the input shaft from the Jeep AX5 (Which is an Aisin company which made the W and R series transmission) could be swapped into the W58!!! I just was reading off the forum pirate4x4.com that someone replaced the input shaft in his R150F from the AX15... So I assume that the AX5 will be able to be swapped into the W58!!!

So the engine fits pretty nicely but I need to get it farther back for sure to give some clearance for the 2" radiator I want to put.

Doesnt it look at home! I still gotta cut the sub frame some more and add a spacer to drop the engine down lower

The only clearance issue I have is the damn rack and pinion... The Camaro oil pan has the notch in front cuz the rack and pinion is infront oil pan!!!

More photos coming soon!!!

Last edited:
So some progress for once. Making motor mounts so far passenger side is done here is a sneak peak for now but will post some more progress next week!

Got my 1997 Camaro T5 WorldClass transmission!
rosbBl3.jpg

Oil pan, oil pickup and oil filter sound from Australia from the Holden Commodore that came with a L67 3.8L in a RWD platform. Was a long 3-4 months wait to get it shipped here but it is here and cleaned and mounted to my motor!
N9vR1J3.jpg

Passenger side motor mount welded and mounted to the engine, you can see the oil pan and filter housing mounted to the motor. Some great progress So I think 2015 is going to be the year to have this monster running!
piXjWOk.jpg

Everything is moving forward finally taking time to get this sh!t done so I can join the rest of you at UR or which ever other meets.

Stay tuned for next week when I have the driver side mount complete and transmission mount made.

Then you guys will watch my detailed work on modifying the supercharger and making the header manifold since the Camaro one is horrible fitment for this frame.

If anyone needs welding work done don't hesitate to contact me.
evan66@gmail.com

So driver side mount is done but I have to cut a hole to access one of the bolts since the boxed end interferes with the bolt fitting in. Here are some pics

iYJDawd.jpg

As you can see my sharpie mark to where I gotta cut the hole
hSkA3n0.jpg

I am going to go full force into this build now since I have the time to do it. So send your support with a comment ;)

See you ppl soon and I'll snap some more photos soon!

Back