why do people pay over 1K to wrap their cars?

Wrapping a car is not an easy task! Takes a lot of time and a lot of patience, Even guys who do this on a daily basis lose there shit once and a while. But i agree for the price of a wrap id just repaint the car

you can get material for 50$. I personally would not wrap with it, it is way too difficult. there have been advances in wrapping material. the actual cost for a roll of material is $800. there are only 2 non-laminated films I would go with, 1080 and 970ra. I would like to try hexis at some point.

granted, you will not use the whole roll unless you are doing an SUV, many times you cannot nest the panels correctly. ie: you can technically wrap a 400sqrfgoot car with 400sqrft of material, bnut realistically you will be using almost 800 sqr ft. (note: not actual values)

anyways. the price is right for wrapping the cars. you are always welcome to do it yourself.

note: printed films are a LOT more expensive :p if you think 2-2.5k is bad for a wrap, you'll blanche at the cost for a printed wrap!

I own a vinyl wrap shop, so this kinda got me on the shiney side.... I dont understand why you cant awnser these questions yourself.

For starters, The cost of material....
I could Easily go pick up a roll of Chinese Calandared chinese vinyl for under .05 a sqft. But will it go on nice? Not a chance. Will it last longer then a week? fuck no. Its cheap, Sign vinyl.

Car wrap vinyl is a little different. For Starters its a cast vinyl which takes longer to make, and is a more expensive process, however the quality is top shelf.
So, for an average car wrap, you are using.
20m x 48" to 60" vinyl - $300-$1000 for 3m 1080 Scotchprint, 970ra or Avery Supreme (AMAZING vinyl) or Hexis (Surprisingly Amazing vinyl, with a HUGE choice of colors and textures at a inexpensive cost)
2-3 Felt tipped squeeges @ $7 each
Rapid tac Prep wash - $30-$50 a gallon
Magnets - $60
hired help - $$$

So your already at the $600-$1000 mark.
Then your looking @ 12+ hours labor, depending on skill, and car. What is your time worth... your expertise...

I love it when a customer comes and buy a roll of vinyl because they want to try it themselves... I warn against it, as it is a VERY expensive learning process if you mess up. But I am usually scoff'd at for trying to "Make money and get business" when they think its a easy DIY.

9 times out of 10, they are back within a few days. Needing to order another roll then getting me to install.

More importantly, why would someone want to spend $1000-$2500 on a wrap... well Maybe they dont want to destroy the value of the car with a paintjob... wraps are completely removeable, and usually have a "clean remove" time of 7-10 years... Which means they are removed with a minimum of tack and adhesive left on the paint... now this is removed, but it takes time.

Maybe they want to try something new, a new color, this way again, its temp or perm... When was the last time you owned a car for 10 years before u sold it. So chances are if you do love it, you will perm change the color to you... PLUS when it is time to sell... you can target 2 groups of people that are looking for now a CHOICE between what color they want.

Not to mention a full wrap = FULL car protection against the elements and usually rock chips (Small ones)
PLUS someone keys your door? They will just scrape the vinyl, probably wouldnt do much of if anything to the paint below...
Cost of getting a door resprayed and blended.... --- $600 + 2-3 days.
Cost of getting vinyl relaid.... $50 - maybe 2 hours. Most of which is removal and prepping for new wrap.

You drive a race car? New Sponsor this year? well now you dont have to look for another Auto Paint shop as a sponsor too for $3000.
Buy some of the cheaper (But still cast vinyl) $400 (enough for 2-3 full wraps) and you can change full colors without spending $3000.
Rub doors with a car beside you? well now you can make your car look mint again, without a respray... see above lol.

Not to mention You can try something new... get it done for a relativly low cost at a few hours notice... Wraps, spray wraps, dips etc.
My car is below...Single turbo G35 Coupe thats Silver to Matte black in less time it takes to watch Schindlers List.
My GT2871R 1.8TGolf is below too, it has a Full CF vinyl wrap.
550130_10150844026515619_501580618_12129379_83339110_n.jpg

191728_152798304780198_152038421522853_315929_5233299_o.jpg

hey! good argument

I own a vinyl wrap shop, so this kinda got me on the shiney side.... I dont understand why you cant awnser these questions yourself.

For starters, The cost of material....
I could Easily go pick up a roll of Chinese Calandared chinese vinyl for under .05 a sqft. But will it go on nice? Not a chance. Will it last longer then a week? fuck no. Its cheap, Sign vinyl.

Car wrap vinyl is a little different. For Starters its a cast vinyl which takes longer to make, and is a more expensive process, however the quality is top shelf.
So, for an average car wrap, you are using.
20m x 48" to 60" vinyl - $300-$1000 for 3m 1080 Scotchprint, 970ra or Avery Supreme (AMAZING vinyl) or Hexis (Surprisingly Amazing vinyl, with a HUGE choice of colors and textures at a inexpensive cost)
2-3 Felt tipped squeeges @ $7 each
Rapid tac Prep wash - $30-$50 a gallon
Magnets - $60
hired help - $$$

So your already at the $600-$1000 mark.
Then your looking @ 12+ hours labor, depending on skill, and car. What is your time worth... your expertise...

I love it when a customer comes and buy a roll of vinyl because they want to try it themselves... I warn against it, as it is a VERY expensive learning process if you mess up. But I am usually scoff'd at for trying to "Make money and get business" when they think its a easy DIY.

9 times out of 10, they are back within a few days. Needing to order another roll then getting me to install.

More importantly, why would someone want to spend $1000-$2500 on a wrap... well Maybe they dont want to destroy the value of the car with a paintjob... wraps are completely removeable, and usually have a "clean remove" time of 7-10 years... Which means they are removed with a minimum of tack and adhesive left on the paint... now this is removed, but it takes time.

Maybe they want to try something new, a new color, this way again, its temp or perm... When was the last time you owned a car for 10 years before u sold it. So chances are if you do love it, you will perm change the color to you... PLUS when it is time to sell... you can target 2 groups of people that are looking for now a CHOICE between what color they want.

Not to mention a full wrap = FULL car protection against the elements and usually rock chips (Small ones)
PLUS someone keys your door? They will just scrape the vinyl, probably wouldnt do much of if anything to the paint below...
Cost of getting a door resprayed and blended.... --- $600 + 2-3 days.
Cost of getting vinyl relaid.... $50 - maybe 2 hours. Most of which is removal and prepping for new wrap.

You drive a race car? New Sponsor this year? well now you dont have to look for another Auto Paint shop as a sponsor too for $3000.
Buy some of the cheaper (But still cast vinyl) $400 (enough for 2-3 full wraps) and you can change full colors without spending $3000.
Rub doors with a car beside you? well now you can make your car look mint again, without a respray... see above lol.

Not to mention You can try something new... get it done for a relativly low cost at a few hours notice... Wraps, spray wraps, dips etc.
My car is below...Single turbo G35 Coupe thats Silver to Matte black in less time it takes to watch Schindlers List.
My GT2871R 1.8TGolf is below too, it has a Full CF vinyl wrap.
550130_10150844026515619_501580618_12129379_83339110_n.jpg

191728_152798304780198_152038421522853_315929_5233299_o.jpg

Est-ce qu'on est vraiment en train de comparer du mactac chinois avec du vinyle 3M et de la main d'oeuvre chinoise VS de la main d'oeuvre canadienne??

carbon fiber vinyl in china is 3 dollars a meter square so under 50 bucks of material because of china.

We do wraps here from time to time, and when we have the cheaper material, the job is a pain in the ass, takes allot longer and looks like shit in the end. You cant get Scotchprint vinyl for less than a hundred bucks a yard or so.

Évidemment, tu as AUCUNE IDÉE du talent/patience/minutie que ça prend BIEN ( je dit BIEN) wrappé une voiture.

Je le crois que ça prend 15 heures. + le matériel. Faut ben que le gars mange à fin de la semaine, il te le feras pas à 10$/hr + prix de cost matériel. Anyways, ça coute 2-3x moins cher faire un detail complet. Je préfère une peinture toute shiny que look mat. personal preference.:p

Sure it is, Just not for you. Especially if you dont want to change your cars color for a year or two...
if you paint it youll still be paying more, then your fucked with paint, and there goes your resale value.

My business is geared towards the high end car owner who bought a Yellow Gallardo, and wants to go black, or on the low end scale, the guy who bought the Purple Corvette because there was an awesome deal.... but doesnt want to keep it purple while he owns it.

Hexis vinyl is really nice, if you look on US forums there are many guys that switched from 3M and refuse to use anything else except Hexis.
They also have a lot of really nice colors, including crocodile skin as well as pearls, gloss and matte finishes. I saw swatches of their vinyl, it's top notch stuff and can pass for paint.

I agree that using cheap vinyl is absurd when you consider the labor involved, and that you basically need a full roll for most vehicles to do a nice job and minimize seams.

So I'm guessing the cost adds up as follows:

Hexis 54" x 65 feet of satin white is about $900 CAD shipped (Status Motors out west sells this if you want to verify) .
Approx. $100 is needed for supplies and wear and tear of equipment (digital heat gun, usage of magnets, etc.)
So that's $1000 in materials to do an external wrap on an average car.

I saw the 3M guys at SEMA perform a multi-layer (3 different vinyls) wrap on a whole car in 5 hours with a crew of 3 guys, so 15 hours for them total.... Either way, these guys are real pros doing this every day, so I'll assume a shop here with 2 guys doing a single layer vinyl would take 12 hours. At $65/hr (which is a fair shop rate considering cost of renting, hydro, and such) each that's $1560 in labor.

Total about $2500....

Is that basically it?

Back