600 hp BMW 335 correcting 2 different mess | Showroom correction, 3 days |

cobrAAA

Shop Representative
Okay here’s a very interesting story; Car got detailed twice at the dealership. It then went to a performance shop where, as you might imagine, got damaged, mostly on the front-end of the car but because of all the dust and stuff, you just need to touch the car to induce micro-swirls and stuff.

Car finally got detailed and bumper got painted twice because the job wasn’t nice at a body shop that I won’t name not to get into the bashing sh*t we saw lately. The owner said I was his last resort, if I can’t do it right, he’s repainting the whole car! So here I come.. to finally show him that a good detailer can actually give a second life to his 23k km bmw.

dsc0783sn.jpg

dsc0819jr.jpg

Process:

This is a showroom correction. This means that cost is not a factor, we simply do the best we can, no matter what times it takes and cost.

I started by doing a 5-step polishing (from compound to jewelling) and I put the car in the sun and…. Welllllll I wasn’t happy! Boys! So many RIDS! I had to redo a 3-step polishing but this time I tried the MF system and it did well to really remove another couples of microns to level these deep scratches to show a nice finish.

So basically, I did a 8-step polishing whatsoever. I also had to wet-sand the roof.

1 coat of Swissvax Cleaner fluid

And 4 coat of Raceglaze Special reserve made for me, Waxxon Spa automobile.
dsc0844s.jpg

1) Engine bay:

These items are suppose to be brand new but for some reasons, I guess they were left on the floor without microfiber to protect the finish:

dsc0694ml.jpg

dsc0695fl.jpg

Polishing the scratch on both the strut bar, engine cover and under the hood:
dsc0786o.jpg

Waxing with Hi-temp wax + black label
dsc0784c.jpg

Trim were treated for a darker look:
dsc0787wg.jpg

dsc0788w.jpg

dsc0789pf.jpg

dsc0790g.jpg

Also waxed:
dsc0793hy.jpg

2) Some random pictures of me cleaning the car, see how important theses brushes are for a complete clean-up.

dsc0697t.jpg

dsc0698v.jpg

dsc0699s.jpg

dsc0700l.jpg

dsc0701o.jpg

dsc0702s.jpg

3) Paint before: here’s how the paint looked before

Paint reading was pretty uniform on all panels. Considering most bmw reads from 120 to 160 from factory, I’m wondering what the 3 other details looked like ? only a glaze or a light polish ? Because the reading looked like a factory paint reading without correction whatsoever. I mean if a car get detailed third, I could expect maybe 110 microns panels but I didn’t.
dsc0703c.jpg

dsc0707s.jpg

dsc0727qw.jpg

dsc0708s.jpg

Taped the whole car:
dsc0731m.jpg

So here I wanted to showcase what a compound is.. Unfortunately, most people use the term ‘’Compound’’ to say they want a polish or a wax applied to their car. I would like to be clear once for all, a compound is VERY abrasive and leave an ugly finish to the car! Every week I get asked, how much for a compound? 99% of the time, the person meant a polish or sometimes it was only a wash and wax.

So I took this car to demonstrate you what a compound really looked like: On the left, you have the actual condition of the car and on the right, you have the compound.
dsc0711j.jpg

dsc0712a.jpg

dsc0713gz.jpg

Sure there’s no scratch or swirls but that’s because the whole panel is hazed and ugly haha! So the ugly look is somewhat more uniform on the panel, but look closely, you will clearly look that the left side has way more gloss and definition to it.

So what happens is when the compounding step is done, we need to do more polishing step with lesser abrasive paste to get back the same level of gloss we had on the left side but WITHOUT the swirls and scratches.

After a couple of polish step, I came down to this:
dsc0715e.jpg

dsc0716vl.jpg

Now, see the difference? A picture is worth 1000 words here.

And at this stage, I still wasn’t 100% happy with the result:
dsc0717do.jpg

So I redid the step with another system and end up with that:
dsc0752v.jpg

Now, we’re talking guys!

Here’s some after-after:
dsc0829h.jpg

dsc0830g.jpg

dsc0833d.jpg

dsc0834x.jpg

dsc0836sc.jpg

dsc0837c.jpg

dsc0838t.jpg

4) Wet-sanding:

So we say the least aggressive, the better? I tried compounding the roof in order to remove the water spot and it didn’t do anything. At that moment, I knew I had to wet-sand the whole roof.. Not something I really like but I had to do it.

Wait till the paper are fully soaken up and twisted:
dsc0719y.jpg

dsc0721vn.jpg

It is now easier to see the etching that occurred in the clear coat here:
dsc0722jy.jpg

Obviously I took a lot of reading during the whole process:
dsc0725xz.jpg

dsc0726o.jpg

5) Importance of cleaning your paint after, IPA, Citrus wash, Cleaner fluid, it has to be done.

Here you can see the water perfectly bead and sheet on the paint with the polish still on the paint. So a polish can act like a wax !? or is it only the fine oil from the fine polish that give this effect.

dsc0747q.jpg

dsc0748y.jpg

To clean the paint..
dsc0749ne.jpg

And now… the long awaited moment.. when you take out the car into the sun to make sure the correction is fine and then you can enjoy applying one of the most exclusive high-end wax on the market as we speak.

dsc0750i.jpg

dsc0751l.jpg

dsc0752v.jpg

dsc0753a.jpg

dsc0754w.jpg

Fuuuu!!! Isn’t that nice!? No wax or cleaner fluid now.. just the bare paint. I know the owner would be thrilled when I saw that .

6) The D.E.T.A.I.L.I.N.G !

Now, it’s where the fun really starts, IMO. Well, this paint was a real challenge by itself, but usually the difference between a good detailing and a great detailing is how the detailer tackles the small detail. So here we go,

Applying Wolfgang ETS on all trim. This stuff works very well and has a durability of +4 months. On top it does have a matt look perfect for this matt black trim so it doesn’t alter the finish. This product isn’t cheap but heck when you only want the best right?
dsc0756r.jpg

dsc0757b.jpg

I’m now waxing this baby with 76% carnauba by volume. This is an upgraded version of the regular Black Label wax by Raceglaze made especially for myself. You get pure wetness with the durability of Swissvax Crystal Rock. I actually gave 4 coats in a time span of 24 hours. (About 6 hours between each) Oh yessss, I waked up at night to wax the car, devotion anyone?

dsc0758o.jpg

Same goes for the carbon hood and trunk:
dsc0760o.jpg

Swissvax cleaner fluid on the rims:
dsc0794z.jpg

Then, I gave it 2 goof coat of wax to make it stand out and give it a slight darker look:
dsc0839s.jpg

On door jam + wax:
dsc0795m.jpg

dsc0806i.jpg

Plastic polish on the lens of the gauge.
dsc0796h.jpg

dsc0842i.jpg

Cleaner fluid again:
dsc0797e.jpg

little seal that got some polish and need to be cleaned with a QD:
dsc0804fm.jpg

After the wax and cleaner fluid:
dsc0839s.jpg

7) Interior:

I took the air compressor to really move all the dirt between crevasses:
dsc0798hq.jpg

Making sure all door jam was taken care and making sure no residue were left:
dsc0799p.jpg

Interior was washed using my extractor and leather were treated using Leather cleaner + conditioner.

Anecdote: when the owner took his car back, he pulled down his windows once inside the car and almost yelled; HEY!! You did the interior also, what you did to the leather!?? It’s so nice! (I just love when the customer find by himself what I did. It shows even more the detailing going through the detail)
dsc0805pv.jpg

dsc0808w.jpg

dsc0809b.jpg

dsc0810y.jpg

dsc0841eb.jpg

dsc0840h.jpg

8) Final shot:

This was after 1 coat of Black Label and Swissvax Cleaner fluid:

dsc0761cc.jpg

Umm lovely, if you ask me :)
dsc0762z.jpg

dsc0764h.jpg

dsc0766i.jpg

dsc0767jb.jpg

dsc0768c.jpg

dsc0769t.jpg

dsc0770p.jpg

dsc0773g.jpg

dsc0776s.jpg

dsc0775yp.jpg

MEAN!
dsc0779up.jpg

Rims didn’t had a treatment, just focus on the paint héhé
dsc0781na.jpg

dsc0782gd.jpg

And these shot were 2 hours before he came to pick up his car:
dsc0811k.jpg

dsc0812k.jpg

dsc0813p.jpg

dsc0816ph.jpg

dsc0817u.jpg

dsc0814t.jpg

dsc0818t.jpg

dsc0820e.jpg

dsc0821c.jpg

dsc0824v.jpg

dsc0825e.jpg

dsc0826h.jpg

2 videos :

obviously the camera wasnt able to pick up all the sound coming from the exhaust but you get an idea. very loud.

And a little wrap around of the vehicule:

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed it because it’s not everyday I write for that long!

P.S: Talentless,bullshit someone said ? yeah.. yeah.. I will leave it at that.

Pour une question de polissage réalisé à montreal.. alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca
For more info regarding this polishing job, detailing , done in the greater Montreal , please contact me at alexandre.lemay @ hec . ca

Pour les primeurs, MR passe en second maintenant..? haha

Comme certain te l'on déjà mentionné, nice write-up.

Wow qu'elle belle job Alex!!!! Je suis tres heureux de t'avoir rencontrer parce que dorenavant tu sera le seul et unique a entretenir mon auto. Je suis plus que satisfait, et j'ai deja hate de te l'amener au mois de aout pour un petit refresh. J'etais vraiment decourager de voir la job de cochon qu'ils m'ont fait dans le passé, et je me disais il n'y a plus rien a faire. Merci encore une fois.

you should have a TV show where people bring you their high end cars in horrible shape, and the transformation back into a new car :p

WOW! vraiment une belle job mon gars, et aussi je croit que c'est ton tread le plus detailé a date que j'ai vue et C'est plaisant a regarder. Belle voiture en passant, et juste comme sa comment trouve tu le mf system de meg? j'ai tjrs hésité a l'acheter, l'an passer j'avais acheté les pad pour combiné avec le m105 et le velcro a carrément décoler du pad, donc j'ai pas vraiment réessayer avec... Suis-je le seul a qui sa arriver ou ?

Pour les primeurs, MR passe en second maintenant..? haha

Comme certain te l'on déjà mentionné, nice write-up.

Bah non, ça pas rapport, je voulais voir de quoi avant, mais finalement, j'ai pas vraiment le temps de le traduire en français, donc je pense bien que ça va rester comme ça.

Merci,

P.S: J'ai du respect pour toi. ( tu va surment comprendre!)

you should have a TV show where people bring you their high end cars in horrible shape, and the transformation back into a new car :p

inb4thehater ; yo bro! that was photoshopped you can clearly see he missed a 1cm square spot on the very bottom of that car. OMG he's so shiiittt! LOL

But I have an announcement soon to make..it's a bit of what you just said . thanks btw!

So was the owner happy this time??

And great work yet again[/QUOTE

Actually, he posted just 2 post before :) he was indeed very happy. I must be honest, he couldn't kept smiling lolll that was funny. I think he smiled for maybe 15 minutes haha.
Wow qu'elle belle job Alex!!!! Je suis tres heureux de t'avoir rencontrer parce que dorenavant tu sera le seul et unique a entretenir mon auto. Je suis plus que satisfait, et j'ai deja hate de te l'amener au mois de aout pour un petit refresh. J'etais vraiment decourager de voir la job de cochon qu'ils m'ont fait dans le passé, et je me disais il n'y a plus rien a faire. Merci encore une fois.

Fait plaisir Claude! Merci de ton temps :)

You are my hero.

Man it's almost signature-worthy lol! tHANKS :p

WOW! vraiment une belle job mon gars, et aussi je croit que c'est ton tread le plus detailé a date que j'ai vue et C'est plaisant a regarder. Belle voiture en passant, et juste comme sa comment trouve tu le mf system de meg? j'ai tjrs hésité a l'acheter, l'an passer j'avais acheté les pad pour combiné avec le m105 et le velcro a carrément décoler du pad, donc j'ai pas vraiment réessayer avec... Suis-je le seul a qui sa arriver ou ?

Non, le thread de la skyline est plus détaillé et j'ai quelques autres threads aussi bien détaillé selon moi, c'est juste que, tu peux pas passer à chaque job un 3 heures sur ton ordi pour écrire ces threads, j'ai d'autre polissage à faire, manque de temps haha :p

C'est un système comme un autre. ça remplace pas la rotary. J'aime pas la vibration de l'orbital. J'aime pas M105. haha . C'est important d'avoir plusieurs système, tu vois, moi j'ai 4 gammes de poli différent + 5 machines, quand un marche pas, je prend l'autre.

based on the stitching, that's a leatherette interior, not leather. Shouldn't use Leather cleaner + conditioner on leatherette.

Bah non, ça pas rapport, je voulais voir de quoi avant, mais finalement, j'ai pas vraiment le temps de le traduire en français, donc je pense bien que ça va rester comme ça.

Non, le thread de la skyline est plus détaillé et j'ai quelques autres threads aussi bien détaillé selon moi, c'est juste que, tu peux pas passer à chaque job un 3 heures sur ton ordi pour écrire ces threads, j'ai d'autre polissage à faire, manque de temps haha :p

Je blaguais, t'inquiètes.

Dieu sait que ça peut être long faire un write-up comme celui-ci. Big Up à tout ceux ici qui prenne le temps de concevoir des discussions de qualités.

Pour les MF pads qui délaminent, non tu es pas le seul. Il y a eu des ratées dans les premiers lots de production.

based on the stitching, that's a leatherette interior, not leather. Shouldn't use Leather cleaner + conditioner on leatherette.

Leather cleaner are least harsh than other cleaner so using a a leather cleaner on any type of leather is just beeing safe.

Exact! Cobraaa aurait bien pu utiliser un dégraisseur pas très agressif et ça aurait quasi fait pareil. Le conditionneur est unitile, mais il ne dégrade en aucun cas le similicuir.

leather products won't damage the leatherette and are OK to use, but why wouldn't you use the correct product for the job?

The leather cleaner, fine, could of done it with diluted apc but that's your choice..it's more then applying of leather protectant on something that isn't leather, which strikes me as odd. If you want to apply something to leatherette/vinyl, which isn't really necessary in the first place, then why not use something actually made for vinyl/leatherette which will also provide uv protection and last for a while, like 303 or lexol vinylex, ect. Unless you had no idea that what you were cleaning was leatherette, which would explain it, but id hope that a detailer could tell the difference.

leather products won't damage the leatherette and are OK to use, but why wouldn't you use the correct product for the job?

The leather cleaner, fine, could of done it with diluted apc but that's your choice..it's more then applying of leather protectant on something that isn't leather, which strikes me as odd. If you want to apply something to leatherette/vinyl, which isn't really necessary in the first place, then why not use something actually made for vinyl/leatherette which will also provide uv protection and last for a while, like 303 or lexol vinylex, ect. Unless you had no idea that what you were cleaning was leatherette, which would explain it, but id hope that a detailer could tell the difference.

Tell me, how a product that is suppose to be good for about 10 differents things should be more effective than the one that is suppose to be for leather ? APC over leather cleaner ? ( why because you are cheap and you want to cut corner ?)

Multipurpose. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on vinyl convertible tops, vinyl seats, tonneau covers, car bras, vinyl awnings, dashboard, trim pieces, and all over your boat. It is safe on vinyl, rubber, plastic, acrylic, finished leather, and fiberglass

Unless you are a chemist with actual fact of what your trying to tell me that I was wrong, I will keep using the product that I used back then when I was working for an upholster. Thank you :)

On dirait vraiment que tu as envie de t'ostiner pour rien du tout. lol.

Leather products are designed for leather, with chemicals suited for animal hide and allowing it to breathe. If you were working on leather, there would be no issue.

What you worked on is not leather. It's vinyl. 303 is made for vinyl. 10 seconds on google or spending some time on a detailing forum and you quickly learn that when it comes to vinyl or leatherette, 303 is one of, if not the best product. Don't want to use it? that's fine. But trying to make an argument that a leather product is better then 303 on vinyl? Come on guy.

see the only reason i asked is because it seemed you couldn't tell the diff between leather and vinyl in the bmw, which would explain why you used leather products. Now you keep arguing that leather products are better for vinyl then actual VINYL products, so it's just something that i wouldn't expect to hear from one of this sections top detailers.

Leather products are designed for leather, with chemicals suited for animal hide and allowing it to breathe. If you were working on leather, there would be no issue.

What you worked on is not leather. It's vinyl. 303 is made for vinyl. 10 seconds on google or spending some time on a detailing forum and you quickly learn that when it comes to vinyl or leatherette, 303 is one of, if not the best product. Don't want to use it? that's fine. But trying to make an argument that a leather product is better then 303 on vinyl? Come on guy.

see the only reason i asked is because it seemed you couldn't tell the diff between leather and vinyl in the bmw, which would explain why you used leather products. Now you keep arguing that leather products are better for vinyl then actual VINYL products, so it's just something that i wouldn't expect to hear from one of this sections top detailers.

You still haven't proved me that there is a difference between both products. I prefer the look and smell of my leather conditionner. I had 303 and sold it because it didn't suit my style. Why do you want me to force to use a product ? Do your homework you will see that half of the leather conditionner are also suited for vinyl. Your not going to make me change my position on that. Sorry.

For your information, I started washing sofa before doing car detailing. In 7 years, I haven't had one single come-back so let me re-ask you an ACTUAL scientifical lab test showing the difference between a leather and a vinyl conditionner and how bad would it damage the opposite material. Till then, I will keep using my product since I'm quite happy with them.

Vinyl/ leatherette are usually a form of artificial leather wrapped in some sort of plastic coating so they barely absord any product and don't breath as much, no matter 303 or leather conditionner but it will feel nice for a week. Just like tire shine, it last a week but you still apply it.

I originally pointed out that leather products are not for vinyl. And said that they are ok to use, but only in the sense that they wont damage the vinyl. But since you're a detailer i would expect that your goal isn't just to give the interior a fancy smell but also to protect the surface? RIGHT?

now heres what makes 303 better over using a leather product:

"303" is the world's most powerful UV screening treatment for vinyl. Regular use prevents UV fading and degradation. It truly is like "SPF 40 Sunscreen

"303" protected vinyl repels dust, dirt, oils, tree sap and stains to maintain surface integrity.

"303" treated vinyl stays cleaner longer, cleans up easier. Safe for rubber, plastic, glass and paint. DOES NOT CONTAIN Silicone Oils or Petroleum Distillates (ie what you might find in some leather products).

fox max protection, you can reapply it once every 30-45 days (does not last a week like you claimed. I had some on my dash and could still see the finish 1 year later without reapplying it).

"303" minimizes plasticizer evaporation.

"Most recommended by manufacturers. 303 Aerospace Protectant is recommended by name by more manufacturers of awnings, RVs, tonneau covers, vinyl convertible tops, and spa covers than any other protectant in the world.".....So to recap this, 303 is the top recmmended product for basically anything that gets serious sun exposure.

now do i have the LAB tests. No..although im sure 303 does, so you can email them..the stuff was designed for aerospace and aviation applications. I dont usually drive close to the sun but it's good to know that if i do get close, my interior will stay in good shape. Usually when i pick a product i go by what other detailers are saying, the guys who use it on a daily basis and have see the results. So when all of them recommend 303, i know i cant go wrong. But im sure before you switched to sonax or before you invested in 1000$ wax, you asked the sellers for the lab tests. Send me a copy of those tests id like to take a look at them.

also, your statement of "leatherette is artificial leather with a plastic coating" is also wrong. Vinyl is not coated leather. here: "Vinyl is a plastic made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). A vinyl's topcoat holds in plasticizers, softening agents which keep vinyl supple."

Sometimes it's a fabric base with a top layer or plastic. But it isnt "coated leather". Infact It's actually the opposite of what you're saying, some leather interiors are coated with a top layer of vinyl.

And where did i say you HAVE to use 303? if you like the smell or feel to your leather product, that's your own opinion and it's fine. Had you of said that initially, i woudlnt of even replied. It's your arrogance to say that what you use is clearly better, is what got this started. if you started spraying peoples tires with windex, i could care less. If you started spraying peoples tires and then defended it, then id chime in.

i've wasted too much time with this reply.. fuck why do i even get started with these things.

I originally pointed out that leather products are not for vinyl. And said that they are ok to use, but only in the sense that they wont damage the vinyl. But since you're a detailer i would expect that your goal isn't just to give the interior a fancy smell but also to protect the surface? RIGHT?

now heres what makes 303 better over using a leather product:

"303" is the world's most powerful UV screening treatment for vinyl. Regular use prevents UV fading and degradation. It truly is like "SPF 40 Sunscreen

"303" protected vinyl repels dust, dirt, oils, tree sap and stains to maintain surface integrity.

"303" treated vinyl stays cleaner longer, cleans up easier. Safe for rubber, plastic, glass and paint. DOES NOT CONTAIN Silicone Oils or Petroleum Distillates (ie what you might find in some leather products).

fox max protection, you can reapply it once every 30-45 days (does not last a week like you claimed. I had some on my dash and could still see the finish 1 year later without reapplying it).

"303" minimizes plasticizer evaporation.

"Most recommended by manufacturers. 303 Aerospace Protectant is recommended by name by more manufacturers of awnings, RVs, tonneau covers, vinyl convertible tops, and spa covers than any other protectant in the world.".....So to recap this, 303 is the top recmmended product for basically anything that gets serious sun exposure.

now do i have the LAB tests. No..although im sure 303 does, so you can email them..the stuff was designed for aerospace and aviation applications. I dont usually drive close to the sun but it's good to know that if i do get close, my interior will stay in good shape. Usually when i pick a product i go by what other detailers are saying, the guys who use it on a daily basis and have see the results. So when all of them recommend 303, i know i cant go wrong. But im sure before you switched to sonax or before you invested in 1000$ wax, you asked the sellers for the lab tests. Send me a copy of those tests id like to take a look at them.

also, your statement of "leatherette is artificial leather with a plastic coating" is also wrong. Vinyl is not coated leather. here: "Vinyl is a plastic made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). A vinyl's topcoat holds in plasticizers, softening agents which keep vinyl supple."

Sometimes it's a fabric base with a top layer or plastic. But it isnt "coated leather". Infact It's actually the opposite of what you're saying, some leather interiors are coated with a top layer of vinyl.

And where did i say you HAVE to use 303? if you like the smell or feel to your leather product, that's your own opinion and it's fine. Had you of said that initially, i woudlnt of even replied. It's your arrogance to say that what you use is clearly better, is what got this started. if you started spraying peoples tires with windex, i could care less. If you started spraying peoples tires and then defended it, then id chime in.

i've wasted too much time with this reply.. fuck why do i even get started with these things.

At least I respect the fact that you did some research but I can also get 1yr of shine on my dash also with other products. I don't do lab test but I do my own personal test and felt like this was the best product IMO.

By the way, taken from the description of optimum protectant plus.. http://www.autogeek.net/opprpl1ga.html

Optimum Protectant Plus protects your leather and vinyl by depositing UV inhibitors and hydrating oils deep in the pores while cleaners remove marring contaminants.

So yeah some product can do both, maybe I should have stated '' interior protector'' for your own satisfaction ? I just prefer to use the term leather 2-step, just easier.

At least I respect the fact that you did some research but I can also get 1yr of shine on my dash also with other products. I don't do lab test but I do my own personal test and felt like this was the best product IMO.

By the way, taken from the description of optimum protectant plus.. http://www.autogeek.net/opprpl1ga.html

Optimum Protectant Plus protects your leather and vinyl by depositing UV inhibitors and hydrating oils deep in the pores while cleaners remove marring contaminants.

So yeah some product can do both, maybe I should have stated '' interior protector'' for your own satisfaction ? I just prefer to use the term leather 2-step, just easier.

If you used a product that is made for leather AND vinyl, why wouldn't you have said that in the first place. It would of ended the conversation.

Instead you ARGUED how using *LEATHER* products are BETTER for vinyl then using products that are actually made to work on vinyl..

here are YOUR OWN WORDS: "Tell me, how a product that is suppose to be good for about 10 different things should be more effective than the one that is suppose to be for leather".

and now you are telling me that you were actually not using a leather product, but instead using a product that works on multiple surfaces (exterior trim, molding, leather, vinyl, ect ect). How are you supposed to win an argument when you are now arguing with yourself?

After all your replies, it's fairly obvious that one of these best describes the situation:

1) you had no idea you were working on leatherette/vinyl. it explains why you would use a product you thought was meant for leather, on vinyl.

2) based on your description of what leatherette is, you thought it was some form of cheap leather, so it would explain why you would argue that using a leather product on it is better then using a vinyl product.

if i had to guess id say it was #2.

Last edited:
Back