Sharing a house with 3 roommates (Experiences needed)

Subzero

I'm moving into a house in Chateauguay with 3 Rommates in July and was wondering if anyone has ever lived a similar experience and what their thoughts might be. I've lived with roomates before, but this is a first in house.

Specs: We each have our own bedroom, 3 are on the second level (Me and the 2 chicks) and the other dude's room is in the basement. We have 2 independent living rooms, a dining room, kitchen, 3 washrooms (2 with showers, one with bathtub) and a semi in-ground pool.

I won't be sharing a bathroom with the ladies, so a huge bullet has already been dodged. Aside from that, there seems to be enough personal space for everyone to be able to chill independently.

My worries:
- A house is a shit load more work than an apartment.
- we need to take care of a heated pool + yard + front yard
- We have a two door fridge, but I'm still worried about food/spending in general

So, any tips/experiences/no no's that anyone has lived and would recommend? Any comment is welcomed really.

Edit: Important note: I'm not part of the lease and have an agreement that I can leave at any given time (a bonus IMO)

Don't do it! I lived with roommates (3 girls) in a 6.5 in the McGill ghetto for a semester, never again! Living alone is much better than living with roommates.

The apartment was huge ($2,200 per month) and it was always dirty. My room was clean, but the kitchen, bathroom, as well as the living room were a mess. I don't even want to image what it would be like to live in a house. My roommates weren't even that bad, we didn't really get on each other's nerves and tried to be civil, but it still sucks.

If you can, get a 2.5 or 3.5 and live there alone. It's much, much better. I would never live with roommates again, no matter what. It just doesn't compare to renting your own place.

Sounds like a sweet deal if you don't mind living in a college dorm environment.

Pool parties galore, better hope the girls are hot or have hot friends. Put up a sign where you have to be topless to be in the pool.

x2 on lack of fridge space.

I lived with roommates for some time and TBH it wasn't bad, apart from some other guy's pimp making me nervous. One Sunday morning the fat hambeast in a Cadillac was parked on the sidewalk across the street honking and calling like a madman. I just like... "Ohhhkayyyy...".

Could've been on A&E, actually but it made life fun and tolerable.

Also avoid girls. They're dirty and filthy animals.

Depending on what your standards of healthy living are, with 4 people living under the same roof, you might have to lower them, or raise them. In the sense that if you are a slob you will have to clean after yourself, but if you are a clean freak you might have to let go of some of your peaves.

I'm kind of a neat freak, I'm hoping I'll be able to sort of content myself with the cleanliness of my room lol. But I've been to the guy and girl's current condo and it's really clean. Although they might have cleaned up before anyone got there.

I'm moving in June 21. This will be a story thread starting on that day.

I lived in a house with 4 other people for a month but one guy was only there on weekends. We had a cleaning lady come once a week and we kept on top of the cleaning. 3 of us were sharing a bathroom and I really didn't like that. We all spent most of the time in our bedrooms...I never felt confortable there.

Right after that I moved in with a girl that had posted an add looking for a roommate for a 4½: again we shared the bathroom witch really didn't make me feel confortable...and she had two cats with long hair so it got everywhere. Other than that it was a positive experience, I met tons of people and got laid twice because of her(her sister and her friend.:))

Would I do it again? Not if I didn't have to, but if I did I'd make sure I would have my own bathroom. I don't mind the kitchen being a little dirty, I just clean an area big enough for the cooking I have to do.

Back