Official ChAmpcar thread

BBQMAN

Shop Representative
Post anything about events, results, builds, looking for rides, offer of rides and questions here!!!

From my buddy Lee, in Ontario, a longtime Chumpcar entrant, driver and car builder-

ChumpCar World Series Double-7h Enduro Weekend @ Calabogie Motorsports Park June 22+23, 2012
ChumpCar is hosting two 7 hour endurance races at Calabogie Motorsports Park, in Calabogie Ontario.

$500/car + $100/driver

The atmosphere at a ChumpCar event is like no other race that I've been to. On track, the racing and battles are intense -- commonplace to have an epic 30-minute on-track battle, spoiled by the need for more fuel. Off track, repairing a broken racecar is a multi-team effort.

ChumpCar has teams with four drivers, and teams with ten. Teams with onboard telemetry being fed live to the pits, and teams that don't have a torquewrench. Teams with seasoned pro drivers, and teams with drivers that have never been on the track. ChumpCar is where wheelbearings are changed more frequently than tires, Neons and 12 cylinder Jaguars drag race down the straights, and blown engines are swapped mid-race so the team is on track for the checkers. ChumpCar has real racing, on real tracks, with really cheap cars.

Cars:

There are two classes of car: "Crap Cans" and "Exception Class". All cars must run on tires 190 treadwear or higher and meet all safety regulations. (Note: ChumpCar WILL NOT claim your car for $1500. That stupid claim rule did exist in CCWS's first year, but they disposed of it, and introduced the Average Internet Value, and Exception Class ruleset, below.)

"ChumpCar" class: chassis+drivetrain+suspension must have an Average Internet Value (AIV) of $500 or less. Find 10 Craigslist/Kijiji ads for your car's year+make+model, average price is AIV. Every team must do their homework, and bring printouts to prove their car's AIV. Performance parts added to the car count towards cost on top of the AIV. With a few hours of digging, we AIV'd our 1992 Civic hatch at $345. The remaining $155 we "spent" on headers and suspension bits. Should your AIV+Performance parts be over $500, your team will receive penalty laps: starting 1-100 laps behind the field. if that $100 performance part won't help you make up 10 laps over 7 hours, consider leaving it on the shelf. Safety and drivers comfort items are NOT included in AIV: Cage, Seat, Steering wheel, exhaust (except headers), fuel system. Check the rulebook for more details.

Exception Class: EC cars do not have to meet AIV ruleset -- these could include CASC GT4-6 cars. EC cars are scored/timed, but are not eligible for the purse. EC trophies will be issued if there are 10 or more EC cars at an event. Don't get upset when your EC car is lapped by a ChumpCar. before entering EC, try to AIV your car -- if you are very close to the $500 AIV, you might be able to make up the penalty laps that are issued! We know your race car is your baby -- ChumpCar IS NOT a demolition derby. Your car is more likely to have contact in a 20 minute sprint race than a 7 hour endurance race -- risky/bonehead passes are not required when there are HOURS left in the race!

More details, complete rules, ChumpCar forum @ http://www.chumpcar.com

CANADIAN REGION Contacts:

Regional Director:Sal Sanfilippo
sals@chumpcar.com

Last edited:
Ive been meaning to ask Carl, whats the status of your chumpcar?
will she be ready for bogie june 23-24?
whats the team name? (something simple/motorsport oriented..?)

..at hands of AISA instructors, that team will be unstoppaaaaable!

I was lucky enough to have been invited as driver to the Shannonville event held 2-3 weeks ago.
It was my first "race".
I drove +/-1h40 minutes the first day, and +/-1h 30/35minutes the second.
Its the longest Ive ever been turning laps in a car! (with a bit of heat management+water..i think I could have done 2-3 stints in a row =)
Had some regrettable incidents/moments; put her off 2-3? times, but..I brought the car back in one piece when I was called in to pit.
Also had some "yee-haw" moments.. :D Excecuted some nice passes, and executed some..optimistic/seat of pants/last second passes.
Some drivers were defensive *tu* put up a nice dog fight, some were..oblivious.. and a few were overly courteous(..?)
The competition really changed from one day to next, (i was opening driver both days) on the second day, there were 4-5 cars that were just haaaaauling ass. they overtook me and slowly worked themselves a few corners ahead. i pushed the car and myself, made errors, over worked the tires and I could never regain the distance, I lost time :C
We had toyed with the car the night before, did some alignment, had new tires up front, adjusted damping; for some strange reason, car was a pig.
I experienced the pressures of having competitor attack, work the mirrors.. i was not really ready for that..it was pretty draining!
but,its all part of the fun (especially when I was the one doing it!!) I hope to practice under those conditions again..many many times to come haha Ide like to improve!
My strategy will change though, preferably with the addition of tips from BBQMAN.. :D
Next time..I wont let it disrupt my driving.
I was not the quickest driver both days(which is acceptable..I guess); ..I was also the least consistent. :/
this really bothered me. still does, infact..I dont think I have a seat with that team again. ;_;

anyway.. it was an AWESOME!!! experience, hope to/want to do it again

As Lee typed, its not a destruction derby.
dont discount chumpcar! team does not have to have comedic/unprofessional theme, driving does not have to be novice!
fantastic/inexpensive way to get into the sport!!

Exception class = any car? Must be big speed differentials?

EDIT

Whoops, nope:

SCCA-NASA: ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, GT3, GTL
SCCA-NASA: Spec E30, Spec 944 and Spec Miata
SCCA-NASA: HP, FP, EP, SSB, SSC
CASC: GT4, GT5, GT6, GT Challenge 5, and most ice racing cars
FMAD – Federación Mexicana de Automovilismo Deportivo, A.C : all sedan and GT classes;
no sports racing classes allowed
IMCA Sport Compact or Hobby Stock competition cars (sedans)

This was an epic weekend for Mealtime for sure!
The gang loved the track, and i think Chump will be back for 2013.

So the Mealtime gang is planning to go to the 24hr at VIR, aug 11/12, but I cannot make it. The next is Chumpcar Chumpionship in Grand Bend, again I will not make it.

Newly added to the list of events will be Road America late October, I AM IN!!!

Man O'Man... VIR, I was ther elast year and what a wonderful place! I also need a new pair of shorts after reading that Road America is part of the gig. Elk Heart Lake, boy, talk about a man's track!

Have fun and be safe guys. Please grace us with a race report!

We had a blast !!!

chumpcar.jpg

Man O'Man... VIR, I was ther elast year and what a wonderful place! I also need a new pair of shorts after reading that Road America is part of the gig. Elk Heart Lake, boy, talk about a man's track!

Have fun and be safe guys. Please grace us with a race report!

I just spent 15 minutes doing a write up only to hit esc instead of enter.... I am pissed.

Look for my write up later in the week....

Time to revive the thread.

video of latest action,

2013 schedule is up November 1st. see their forum for the latest.

http://www.chumpcar.com/community.php

New teams in our region!!!

ASE LC ringers- Ase staff!! CRX
Wrenched racing- most likely a BMW from Ottawa.
Go Racing- David Gosselin and crew from touring car- Chris and dan Thibault- a CIVIC!
Built By SEb or Bimmershop- most likely a BMW- Seb, Mikie and the crew!

anyone else looking to build??

We are working hard to have a date at ASE- details will be revealed November 1st!

*jawdrop**jawdrop*
Time to revive the thread.

New teams in our region!!!

ASE LC ringers- Ase staff!! CRX
Wrenched racing- most likely a BMW from Ottawa.
Go Racing- David Gosselin and crew from touring car- Chris and dan Thibault- a CIVIC!
Built By SEb or Bimmershop- most likely a BMW- Seb, Mikie and the crew!

anyone else looking to build??

We are working hard to have a date at ASE- details will be revealed November 1st!

The teams name is WE BE JAMMING and the car is sponsored by Built by SEB .:):)

i know of another team ,, they just pick up a E30 to do chumpcar .:yikes::yikes:

14 hrs of ASE !!!!!!!! AMAZING ....:run::run::run::run:

Wished I had picked up the e36 for.sale. oh well, too many break downs on the m3 prevented us from doing so.

Wished I had picked up the e36 for.sale. oh well, too many break downs on the m3 prevented us from doing so.

Well, at least you got to hone your bimmer mechanical skills. Ya know, might come in handy if you ever do decide to enduro race a $500 E36... ;)

Back