Official ChAmpcar thread

Seriously... The best time i had in a long time on a track!!

I will always remember the 3 wide going to the carroussel, beeing on the inside was stressfull in a good way, just like the 3-4 laps batttle 2 wide with an E30 under hard rain (going trough the drag patch) was just insane!

Thanks to everybody that made the event possible!! Can't wait for the next event! I might do watkins Glen in November!

Oh YES!
They got everything!
Battle laden races, breakdowns, spins, offs, and in the wet to boot !

Yet So many teams shared tools to help with each other.

One of our pilots had bit of of contact with the walls (wet drag skids) then headed into the pits.
We ran down from the stands but before we even caught up, another team pulled off the dangling parts and sent the car back on the track ! That was amazing!
Best part and worth repeating , ALL the cars finished ! :victory:

Wonderful!!

Congrats guys for your third place....

Looks like Chumpy had another great outing, with a 3rd place finish- despite logging the 13th fastest lap time of all teams.

Congrats to team Lombardi racing for another victory!!

2015 rules

http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/2015ChumpCarBCCR.pdf

Discussion-
http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/11524-oh-boy-its-time-to-wine/

Helmets-

ChumpCar will allow the continued use of 2005 Snell-approved helmets until 1 January 2017, provided that all helmets are maintained properly and show no signs of wear, impact or abuse. On 2 January 2017, only 2010 and 2015 Snell-approved helmets would be allowed for club-based use by drivers.

Classes-

Endurance Racing
2.1.1. Within ChumpCar’s Endurance Racing program there are five (5) classes of racing:
2.1.1.1. CLASS A – All cars with an engine displacement of 1.91 liters and Under
2.1.1.2. CLASS B – All cars with an engine displacement between 1.92 liters and 2.41 liters
2.1.1.3. CLASS C – All cars with an engine displacement between 2.42 liters and 3.91 liters
2.1.1.4. CLASS D – All cars with an engine displacement of 3.92 liters and higher
2.1.1.5. CLASS EC – All EC cars
2.1.2. Vehicles with turbocharged or supercharged

Shocks

Wheels, brake calipers, brake rotors and shock absorbers are open PROVIDED all competitors maintain the “2X Rule” --- The 2X Rule: the retail price of any NEW replacement wheel, brake caliper, brake rotor, or shock absorber that you put on your ChumpCar has to be less than twice the cost of a replacement wheel, brake caliper, brake rotor or shock absorber that is available on-line by a nationally recognized auto parts retail chain (i.e. - Napa, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advanced, etc.). ChumpCar reserves the right to go on-line and pull-up retail prices… so have your part numbers ready

4.8.1.2.1. Shock Absorbers: Shock absorbers are defined and restricted to non-adjustable, non-revalvable, non-shimable and non-serviceable units. ALL SHOCKS MUST BE SEALED UNITS THAT CANNOT BE OPENED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE WITHOUT DESTROYING THE UNIT.
4.8.1.2.2. Shock absorbers which have been modified IN ANY WAY (including an exchange of internal oil) will result in a MINIMUM 10 point per shock value-add… or a DQ if its protested and wasn’t claimed.

The new rules do not change the single class format for the real race. The new classes are for giving away a few extra trophies to each class winner.

are you really a CC addict?

BTW, I was speaking with a few racers I know... several builds in the works......

AND, in Ottawa, 6 new cars being built!!!!!

The future of amateur road racing lies in this format!!

Chumpcar 2015 schedule- 5 races in canada

Google maps-

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zHsqTI4H9trQ.k0PqgyVQynUE

· February 7 -- Road Atlanta / 14-hour

· February 19 - 21 -- MSX (Motorsports Expo) Charlotte Trade Show

· February 21 - 22 -- Harris Hill Raceway / Dbl. 6 (Two-Fer Texas 24 – HH & TMS for one price; the first 12 hours)

· Feb 28 - Mar 1 – Thunderhill Park / 7-hr on the 5-mile on Sat; 7-hr on the 2-mile on Sun

· March 27 - 28 -- Texas Motor Spdwy / Dbl. 6 (Two-Fer Texas 24 – HH & TMS for one price; the second 12-hours)

· March 28 -- VIR South / 12-hour

· April 4 – Buttonwillow Raceway / 12-hour

· April 18 - 19 – Canadian Tire Mosport / Dbl. 7

· April 18 - 19 -- Pacific Raceway / 12 + 6

· April 18 - 19 -- Road America / Dbl. 7

· April 24 - 26 -- New Jersey Motorsports Park / Sprints Fri & Sun; 12-hour Sat

· May 16 - 17 -- Motorsports Park Hastings / 12 + 6

· May 22 - 24 – Thunderhill Park / Friday Test; Dbl. 7 & Sprints Sat-Sun

· May 22 - 24 -- Watkins Glen International / 4 + 8 + 8

· May 24 – Daytona International Speedway / 14-hour

· May 29 - 31 -- Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway / Friday Test; Sprints Sat-Sun & 4-hr. Sat

· June 5 - 6 -- National Corvette Museum / Dbl. 7 Enduros Fri-Sat

· June 6 - 7 -- Auto Club Speedway (Fontana) / Dbl. 7

· June 13 - 14 -- Summit Point Raceway / 10 + 6

· June 20 -- Michigan Int'l Speedway / 12-hour

· June 20 - 21 -- Calabogie Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7

· July 3 - 4 -- Charlotte Motor Speedway / Sprints Friday & Saturday (Night Races)

· July 17 - 19 -- Gateway Motorsports Park / Test + 2-hr. Fri ; Sprints Sat-Sun

· August 1 - 2 -- Barber Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7

· August 7 - 9 -- VIR Full / Friday Test; 24-hour (4pm Sat-4pm Sun)

· August 8 -- Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway / 14-hour

· August 8 - 9 – Portland International Raceway / 12 + 6

· August 15 – Brainerd International Raceway / 12-hour (Donnybrooke Course)

· August 21 - 22 -- Lime Rock Park / Dbl. 7

· August 22 - 23 – Autodrome St. Eustache / 8 + 6

· August 22 - 23 -- Gingerman Raceway / Dbl. 8

· August 28 - 29 -- Texas Motor Speedway / Sprints (Night Races - Full ROVAL)

· August 29 - 30 -- Las Vegas Motor Speedway / 13-hour (7pm - 8am)

· September 11 – 13 --Michigan Int'l Speedway / Friday Test; Sprints Sat-Sun; 4-hr. Sat night

· September 12 - 13 -- Calabogie Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7

· September 26 – Sebring International Raceway / 14-hour

· October 2 - 4 – Portland International Raceway / Dbl. 6-hr. Fri-Sat; Sprints Sun

· October 3 - 4 – Pittsburgh International Race Complex / CHUMPIONSHIP

· October 10 – 11 -- Canadian Tire Mosport / CHUMPIONSHIP

· October 10 - 11 – Harris Hill / Dbl. 8 (Reverse Course)

· October 17 - 18 -- Road America / CHUMPIONSHIP

· Oct 30 / Nov 1 -- Las Vegas Motor Speedway / Friday Test; Sprints Sat-Sun

· Oct 31 / Nov 1 -- Atlanta Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7

· November 3 - 6 -- SEMA Show / Trade Show - No Competition

· December 4 - 6 -- VIR North / “The 38” (awards at 12-hr; 24-hr and 38-hr; limited space available)

· December 5 - 6 – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca / CHUMPIONSHIP

· December 9 - 12 -- PRI Show / Trade Show

· December 29 – 31 – Homestead-Miami / New Year’s Eve “24-Hour With A Twist” (4 + 8 + 12)

All dates, locations and formats subject to change.

(Note – Underlined events are shared televised, spectator events with the ChampTruck World Series)

For 2015, you’ll note that we have added a few more sprint races. We heard you, very clearly, when you told us that the sprint races are a HUGE hit. Sprint racing makes it easy for single drivers or smaller teams to get great seat time... or, for for each driver of an endurance team get some intensive wheel-to-wheel racing action. So, we’re doing some stand-alone sprint races and some events as a combined enduro & sprint. Many of the sprints in the 2015 schedule will coincide with the brand new ChampTruck World Series (… bringing big-rig truck racing back to the US of A!). In addition, we’re also going to include more, longer endurance races with the Ultimate Street Car Series. Two great televised series that continue to bring more promotion and sponsors to ChumpCar.

Another important milestone… ChumpCar starts 2015 after FIVE years of operation with a PERFECT safety record. What does that mean? It means our insurance rates actually WENT DOWN. Yes! That’s right! In this ever cost-increasing world, ChumpCar is realizing a pretty decent savings for 2015 which we want to pass along to our members. You’ll note that as you register for many events, some of your entry fees are less than last year and less than those stated in the BCCR (Basic Club and Competition Rules). While we can’t shave every entry fee (some tracks are just expensive to rent), where we can, we did. Check-out the savings on the ChumpCar website, under "Schedule" or go to http://www.chumpcar.com/events.php

Okay, the next item of business --

Back in June of this year, I realized that migrating ChumpCar to a new legal entity – moving from the “for-profit” LLC to the “non-profit” and club-based INC – would create an issue for on-going events in Canada. Legal and financial restrictions are clearly spelled-out by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding international revenue streams. This left me with three possible options:

•Option #1 -- Shut-down all ChumpCar operations and withdraw from our moose-loving, beer-drinking and hard-racing Northern Chumps; or,
•Option #2 -- Set-up a separate commercial enterprise in Canada and operate as a US-based (foreign) business; or,
•Option #3 -- Establish a Canadian-based business – through partnership, license or franchise – with someone crazy enough to take this challenge on and partner with someone like… me.

Option #1 was never an option. I have a long history with Canada and will always feel at-home under the Maple Leaf. I have been and remain in complete admiration for all things Canadian… including its Chumps. From the day I set-up ChumpCar’s first trek into Canada and our 2010 event at Shannonville, until today, I continue to be pleased at our growth and expansion within the Provinces. I look forward to more events in Quebec, Montreal and British Columbia… as well as finally getting a race in at Gimly!

So, I looked into Option #2. My attorney put it to me very simply when he asked one very direct question, “Are you out of your mind?” I then received a 43-minute dissertation on conducting business as a Foreign National in Canada. One would have thought I was considering starting a small nuclear power plant in… oh, I don’t know… Iran?

Which led me to Option #3. After a few hundred hours of additional business-education lessons on the Arthur Wishart Act, the Canadian Municipal Franchise Act, the Canadian Business Regulation Reform Act, the Canadian Corporations Tax Act, etc., etc., etc., I determined that a partnership and/or franchise was out of the question. Which left one possible answer… I might be able to issue a license to operate the ChumpCar Canadian World Series to a Canadian citizen.

But who would be stupid engaging enough to want to do this?
Then, my phone rang and it was Sal and Wendy. They wanted to know a couple of things about the Discovery Channel film crew I was sending their way for their upcoming event at Calabogie Motorsports Park.
How do you say “serendipity” in French-Canadian? Thank goodness, it’s damn-near the same: sérendipité.
“Hey, Sal… I’ve got an idea I want to share with you…”

So, effective 1 January 2015, the agreement signed by Sal and Wendy and me now makes the three of us licensee/partners in ChumpCar Canada – an independent business entity -- with a full and exclusive license to market and promote and hold ChumpCar events in Canada --- from coast-to-coast and border-to-polar ice cap.

ChumpCar Canada will be set-up as a “club,” exactly as we have in the Lower-48. Each member of ChumpCar Canada will be required to pay dues… dues going to support the operations of YOUR club. ChumpCar Canada will, likewise, issue all members a “Membership Card” which will have your personal membership number on it and will serve as your “Competition License.”

ChumpCar Canada memberships will be recognized and 100% honored at all US-based events. Canadian Chumps will NOT need to join the US-org or hold membership in both clubs to race. Similarly, US-based Chumps will be allowed complete event access at all Canadian events without having to be a paid member in ChumpCar Canada. (See! Membership DOES have its benefits!)
The ChumpCar Canadian World Series will utilize the exact same rules and regulations as ChumpCar International Inc. and the ChumpCar World Series. Same race formats, same pit rules, same TCV and penalties.

So, will there be any differences between the two clubs? Yes, just a few…
•While US and Canadian Chumps will have complete and interchangeable event access, voting rights on will be limited by nationality. However, that doesn’t mean that a Chump doesn’t have a say in the way things are being run, or on the rules, or almost anything. Rules amendment petitions or comments on club management are completely welcome from BOTH orgs… so long as you send your requests, petitions or comments to BOTH parties. Both Sal and Wendy will retain their ChumpCar e-mail addresses (sals@chumpcar.com and wendye@chumpcar.com). To contact the US management, you have the three (3) Regional Directors (Cathy McCause-Fuss, Mike Morrison and Mike Chisek), myself, and you have the Board of Directors (board@chumpcar.com).
•Registration and payment for all Canadian events will be coordinated by a separate “ChumpCar Canada” website. More on this to come in the next few months…
•ChumpChange for Canada will now get a new look – ChumpLoonie! (I have no idea what Sal and Wendy will call it. I just made that up. Maybe it will have a picture of Stephen Harper on it!) Anyway, ChumpChange that is earned and received in one club will ONLY be allowed to be exchanged for events within that same club. You can use it for race events, sell or trade it, or give it away… there’s always a way to get rid of it.

I could not have asked for a better “partnership” in the on-going and future development of ChumpCar within Canada. Sal Sanfilippo and Wendy Edwards have already shown us all where their hearts and allegiance lies with respect to all things “Chump.” I know that you’ll support them in every possible way, as I will, too.

Finally, with this exciting news, we’ve completed some regional boundary realignments that have been necessary for a while. Real estate and race tracks north of New Jersey now become integrated with the East Region, and we’ve moved the boundary between the Central and East Regions slightly more to the right, giving Mike Morrison more opportunity to put 200,000 miles on that new pick-up truck of his.

MY planned Chump races for 2015-

· April 18 - 19 – Canadian Tire Mosport / Dbl. 7-----NOT SURE- AISA Academy weekend in Montreal

· May 22 - 24 -- Watkins Glen International / 4 + 8 + 8 MOST LIKELY

· June 5 - 6 -- National Corvette Museum / Dbl. 7 Enduros Fri-Sat PROBABLE

· June 20 - 21 -- Calabogie Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7 FOR SURE

· August 1 - 2 -- Barber Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7 WISH LIST- need partners

· August 22 - 23 – Autodrome St. Eustache / 8 + 6 FOR SURE- are you kidding?

· September 12 - 13 -- Calabogie Motorsports Park / Dbl. 7 MAYBE- In Lincoln for SCCA Nationals.... Grrrr

· October 10 – 11 -- Canadian Tire Mosport / CHUMPIONSHIP HELL YA- Monday lapping with ASE LC

· October 17 - 18 -- Road America / CHUMPIONSHIP WANT TO- Steve???

· Oct 30 / Nov 1 -- Las Vegas Motor Speedway / Friday Test; Sprints Sat-Sun I SHOULD IN Vegas for SEMA anyways
· November 3 - 6 -- SEMA Show / Trade Show - No Competition Hell Ya

· December 4 - 6 -- VIR North / “The 38” (awards at 12-hr; 24-hr and 38-hr; limited space available) Hmmmm TEMPTING- need partners

· December 9 - 12 -- PRI Show / Trade Show HELL YA

· December 29 – 31 – Homestead-Miami / New Year’s Eve “24-Hour With A Twist” (4 + 8 + 12) IF I like this years event- I may go back

2015 is just around the corner

Have to build a new car

Looking forwards to the road trip to Barber!

Can we actually make Laguna Seca insanity road-trip happen? Stay tuned...

Back