Official ChAmpcar thread

Grabbed this quote from the CC site, from the new east region tech director-

What you can expect from me is to promote the ChumpCar idea of a throw-back to the era when racing was fun and cheap... when bondo beat carbon-fiber; when a crescent wrench was the most valuable tool in your toolbox; when home-made engineering made everyone sit up and take notice; and when adding a little theme to your car didn't get you laughed off pit lane. These are just a few of the reasons I'm looking forward to being the tech and working with the eastern region team for the 2013 season.

Its what racing should be about!
well said Phil

These are the events I would like to hit!

CC 2013 schedule
•12-14 April / Watkins Glen / 5+7.5+7.5-Hr

•25 May / St. Eustache Motor Circuit / 12-Hr
•22 June / Charlotte Speedway / 14-Hr
•13 July / Nelson Ledges / 12-Hr
•27-28 July / Shannonville Motorsports / D-7
•24-25 August / Michigan International / D-7
•28-29 September / Calabogie Park / D-7
•19-20 October / Road America / D7
TBA October / Mosport-Canadian Tire / 8-Hr
•7-8 December / VIR / North Course D-7

OK, so far officially we are signed up for
•12-14 April / Watkins Glen / 5+7.5+7.5-Hr

•25 May / St. Eustache Motor Circuit / 12-Hr
with AISA Wringers, and

Spokane 36 hour with Mopar for Life.

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/5975-36hrs-in-spokane/

It's official, the Mosport race is the weekend of 12/13, so right before our track day!!

I'd love to run at least one of these races. Probably won't be able to get anything I own together this year due to lack of time and local workspace, but could provide a VW/Audi racecar and/or parts if anyone has some workspace and cares to team up.

I've got a couple of caged ex-SCCA VW Sciroccos, both probably needing engines, another couple of VW/Audi B5 1.8T beaters that could be either racecars or parts, some autopower rollcages to fit a VW Golf/Jetta Mk1 and Mk3, respectively, and a boatload of older DOT race tires (mostly 14", including some stickered BFGs, but some 13" and 15").

Eric

How do they value a car? I know it's not what we paid for.

I haven't read them yet, but found the complete rules here (over 3 MB): http://www.chumpcar.com/downloads/chumpcar-rules.pdf

I think we can find 3 published ads for same year/make/model and average them together. Ads can be from either country that ChumpCar runs -- think depressed US economy...

Not sure if we can go negative if someone pays us to haul it away. Also, I've heard that for the similar but different Lemons series, they can then subtract unneeded parts that are sold off of the car. Not sure if that applies for ChumpCar, though.

I'll try to follow up after reading the rules mre thoroughly.

Eric

Official Chumpcar thread

Thanks, Eric! I hope we can get into the US market. Otherwise we can't get nothing here at 500$
I saw a form on CC on the engine swaps and stuff. I wasn't clear on how that works.

Okay, I read a bit more of the rules. First off, the easiest way to value the car is if it's already on the pre-approved $500 list, but then it has to be "showroom stock". That list is on pages 54-57 of the rules, but it doesn't copy/paste well due to column formatting.

If the car itself is not on the list or won't be "showroom stock":

Sec. 4.4.1: "A car’s value is determined when the car owner or Team Captain finds and prints ten (10) “FOR SALE” advertisements from a minimum of four (4) different geo-markets and presents those ads to ChumpCar Tech Inspectors. Ads should include those from CraigsList; however, eBay and/or other comparable Internet sites may be considered. ChumpCar “AIV” is determined using the lowest average sales prices found across all markets for the year, make and model of the car being entered, or comparable car. For valuation purposes, Internet listed cars must be drivable, running, street-legal cars and must not require any frame work or (generally) more than $1,000 in commercially-provided body work to be “safely” driven. (That means… no, we will not consider a car that was crushed between a train and a semi-truck, and is available for $25 on some obscure website, as a comparable low-price listing. And, no, we will not consider a rolling chassis… or a car advertised with a seized engine or transmission.)"

I've seen a few different web tools available to search all of Craigslist at once. Here's a good review (with internal links): http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10048094-2.html

They also assign minimum (i.e., could be more) values to certain types of performance parts:

"4.4.4.3. Non-exempt components and their minimum values:
4.4.4.3.1. Aftermarket shocks or struts: minimum $15/corner
4.4.4.3.2. Aftermarket springs (on stock assembly, or with a ‘coil-over’ kit): minimum $75 per car (all 4 corners)
4.4.4.3.3. Commercially made camber/caster plates: minimum $ 20 front/ $20 rear
4.4.4.3.4. Non-stock sway-bar(s): minimum $50 front / $50 rear
4.4.4.3.5. Exhaust Header(s): minimum $50
4.4.4.3.6. Air Intake and open filter element: minimum $50 …OR…
4.4.4.3.6.1. Individual intake-specific mandrel tubes, silicone connectors, and performance air filters: minimum $10 each component
4.4.4.3.7. Aftermarket Ignition Coil: $20
4.4.4.3.8. Performance distributor or ignition system: $50
4.4.4.3.9. Heim joint tie rods and/or adjustable control arms: minimum $10/end
4.4.4.3.10. Non-OEM Polyurethane/Nylon bushings: minimum $75/whole car
4.4.4.3.11. Yes, we reserve the right to apply a value to any other component or part that may not be on this list but increases the value and/or performance of any car.
4.4.5. All non-exempt component values (Section 4.4.4.3) shall be added to the AIV of all cars
"

Engine (and/or other major component) swaps are allowed, but subject to the following formula using an "average of the lowest twenty (20), “A-rated” advertised prices for the exact same component, as found on Car-Parts.com":

"4.5. The “Formula” is: AIV + (ACPV/IN – ACPV/OUT) + Stuff + Surcharge = TCV"

So, basically, we have to add average price of swaped-in component, but can subtract average price of original (can assume good condition even if shot).

I'm not sure if same-line (pages 54-57) swaps have to be run through that formula.

Last edited:
PLease take the time to read the whole thread- there is plenty of info regarding what to do.

Only 5 weeks until WGI and then 5 more until ASE.

There is a great Neon for sale in the lapping for sale section.... just sayin...

First Quebec driver to Race Chumpcar in Hallett raceway in Oklahoma since...well ever

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=874322

Fine Sausage Racing car # 41 overcomes small mechanical issues on Saturday to make it to 3rd on Sunday at Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma.

Saturday was Counter-Clockwise and Sunday was the other direction. Chump car style track learning under full race conditions.

Pictures to follow once I figure out how to post them.

Alex

Back