2008 BMW 335i Reliability

CAPOTES.CA

Shop Representative
Hey there,

I'm seriously considering buying a 2008 335i with ~75 000km or less.

I do around 5000-10 000km a year, so I don't drive much. My work is at 4km from home. I have a summer car, so the BMW would be for winter/commute.

I am wondering if I should look at specific things, looking at buying and keeping it for a while, but is there something I have to be afraid of ?

Specs would be manual with sunroof, 4 doors.

In winter, I need to go (up) hill as my garage is underground and I was wondering if the DSC(?) is good on these cars or will cause me troubles ?

I know about the HPFP, but when it fail, is it something that costs $1000+ or it's just annoying ?

Thanks!

I had a 2006 330i (Up to 130 000km) and now own a 2008 335i (Now at 88 000 km) and I can say that both car have an equivalent reliabilty. Out of warranty I only changed a 30$ parts on my 330i and nothing special on my 335i since new. It seems that the HPFP problem was solved with the recall.

The only things that bugs me it the frequency I need a wheels alignement: at least one per year to keep my "expensive" tires to wear even :-(

On the other hand, you probably going to have problem during the winter to go uphill specially in reverse. I used to have my garage underground and that's really a problem. But nothing that a good traction aid can't solve.

I had a 2006 330i (Up to 130 000km) and now own a 2008 335i (Now at 88 000 km) and I can say that both car have an equivalent reliabilty. Out of warranty I only changed a 30$ parts on my 330i and nothing special on my 335i since new. It seems that the HPFP problem was solved with the recall.

The only things that bugs me it the frequency I need a wheels alignement: at least one per year to keep my "expensive" tires to wear even :-(

On the other hand, you probably going to have problem during the winter to go uphill specially in reverse. I used to have my garage underground and that's really a problem. But nothing that a good traction aid can't solve.
That's good news. I'm not going uphill in reverse, so I guess I should be fine.

I've heard that the HPFP is guaranteed up to 10 years which is pretty nice.

The only thing I'm a bit afraid is turbo, wondering if there's any special maintenance to do to avoid damaging them in long term (low-km) use.

est-ce qu il va y avoir un nouveau thread sur la fiabilité de la 335 / 135 a chaque jour? :p

C'est que... quand tu en test drive une, tu sais tout de suite que tu en veux une. Le feeling... :)

Mais c'est juste épeurant des fois les histoires qu'on entend et on se demande s'il y a quelque chose à faire de préventif, au moins, pour pas que ça arrive.

That's good news. I'm not going uphill in reverse, so I guess I should be fine.

I've heard that the HPFP is guaranteed up to 10 years which is pretty nice.

The only thing I'm a bit afraid is turbo, wondering if there's any special maintenance to do to avoid damaging them in long term (low-km) use.

I don't want to discourage you but if you start on the slope with snow at zero speed you won’t make it. The only way I found was to get some speed in my garage and hope to do not have to stop haft way uphill!!! Even with good winter tires their is two main problems: Open diff and a lot of torque at low RPM. On the good side, their is only 4-5 days per year (In Montreal) that I really have to deal with heavy snow. For me it's not enough to get XI and loose the sporty RWD feeling.

I think that the extended warranty is only in the US.

For the Turbo, nothing special to do only regular maintenance (See Mike Miller maintenance schedule from the Bimmer magazine) and if they broke they are not too expensive from getbmwparts.com (635$ US Each). On the other hand these engines don't need turbo timer, that's a good news.

BMW certifiée dans une dealer rajoute 2 ans et 80 000km... donc la garantie totale devient 6 ans / 160 000km et un bon taux d intérêt en prime.

Il y a eu, jadis, naguère, quelques histoires de HPFP. C est plutôt de l histoire ancienne maintenant.

Ensuite, rattle de wastegate sur turbo...

C est vraiment les 2 troubles reconnus que tout le monde parle. J ai 3-4 bons amis mécanos chez BMW et ils sont tous d accord pour dire que c est une bonne voiture avec moins de trouble de conception que les E46: table de roue avant a changer au 25 000km... coils qui cassent, subframe qui craque, rouille dans le hood..

Back