Going USA with someone else's car?

Shield4life

I'm off to US tomorrow, all tho I'm not going with my car but instead going with my girlfriends car (better condition) but it's under her mom's name ... do i need any kind of proof that it's not stolen or would they give any problems any past experience care to share!

been to the states several different cars, they never asked me those car it was, if i have a driver license or anything related to the car, i dont think they care. what they ask is where you live and what you do in life and youre planning on doing in the states.

I go to the states every weekend (I must have at least 400 passages to the US)

yes they can ask who the car belongs to. We are asked that question every few weekends (we have a modified truck so it looks maybe a little sketchy hehe)
they have asked us proof of that a few times, but not normally.

In your case, I'd simply take a common bill (like hydro) as "prof" that you live together so they can match the owner's name on the papers to yours by that bill.

odds are that they won't ask anything, but they definitively can and it's a possibility.

2/3 of the time they ask me who's car is this, especially if you drive a higher end brand like BMW and a recent model.

They might check your registration papers, just dont start hesitating when they ask you.

^was never asked such a thing, i have maybe 20-30 passes in the states in the last 2-3 years. what they seem to ask me each time is where i work

You drive a pontiac ;)

when you don't look like the profile to drive the car, they ask.

They also ask randomly to see if you freeze or to put you "out of balance". same as the questions like what do you do for work, how do you know each other or sometimes very random questions like why are you so early/late, etc.

Justement je fait la meme chose la semaine prochaine mais avec le camion à un ami!! donc j'ai pas plus de preuve de résidence vu qu'on reste pas à la même place!! au pire je vais lui faire signer un papier wtv

They asked for my regi and proof of purchase when I was crossing with the s2k... I was like... uhhh, I don't carry my bill of sale when I'm driving my car around

You drive a pontiac ;)

when you don't look like the profile to drive the car, they ask.

They also ask randomly to see if you freeze or to put you "out of balance". same as the questions like what do you do for work, how do you know each other or sometimes very random questions like why are you so early/late, etc.

maxima, ser spec v, camry, mazda 3, yaris, vibe on top of my head is what i crossed with. but thanks for trying. i always remain cool, give them my business card sometimes and never had any foul play at the border. they seem to know when you tell the truth and when you lie.

maxima, ser spec v, camry, mazda 3, yaris, vibe on top of my head is what i crossed with. but thanks for trying. i always remain cool, give them my business card sometimes and never had any foul play at the border. they seem to know when you tell the truth and when you lie.

ahah calm down.. the wink meant it was with humor.

and i can guarantee you that they sometimes ask for the papers. whatever if you think you look legit or not.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

i crossed at lacolle few weeks ago with an ML63 (obviously not mine, not do i look like a guy that drives a 100k benz)

they asked for almost every paper you can think of, but all i had was a reggie and my license.. they let me through after about 5mins of interrogations

If you're Caucasian, go for it, but if you're any type of visible minority, save yourself the trouble of getting cavity searched.

every time i cross i get ask:

- where do i work
- who does the car belong to

i usually cross with my forester which is worth like 3k ...

Everytime I crossed with the TL they had several questions for me.
Always asked if it was mine, then they'd as what year it was, if it was good on gas, if it was fast...just random questions that if I wasn't the owner, i would hesitate.

Depends what car it is, I drove through customs with my brother in law's S2000 once and I was given the third degree but eventually they let me in.

I did cross with my parents car and they asked me who's car it was. I had a paper signed by my dad saying that he's allowing me to go to the united states for 'X'' days with his car and a photocopy of his driver licence/passport. Didn't have a single problem with that.

Do this, when I crossed with my friends new IS350 they told me I should have a paper stating the owner of the car let me take it across the border.

I did cross with my parents car and they asked me who's car it was. I had a paper signed by my dad saying that he's allowing me to go to the united states for 'X'' days with his car and a photocopy of his driver licence/passport. Didn't have a single problem with that.
My car is registered on my mom's name and when they ask me who's car it is, I say it's my mom's. They've never asked for registration or anything.

Do this and take a picture of your mother in law holding the letter, pointing at the car.

Bonus points if she is hot and you post it here.

Triple points if she's really hot and wears a bathing suit.

Back