Buying an MB from the US

OmegaBoost

Shop Representative
Hey,

I heard that buying a benzo from the US and getting it here, you can get a few issues from MB Canada or something like that. Any one can clarify this? Anyone tried it in the past? How well did it go and is it worth going thru all the headache?

I'm seriously starting to think into getting a benz. Like them alot. I just kinda noticed how in the US they go for much cheaper and are generally in better condition/lower mileage

Thanks for your inputs!!

if it's stillunder warranty, I guess you would simply have to call MB Canada to check if they cover US cars, but otherwise, I don't think you'll get any issues. I would do the same. Lot cheaper then here.

NO warranty on US MB, unless you change the cluster. You will spend a BUTTload of cash getting it "conform" to MB canada.

MB is hard to import from the states, I was getting a 2001 ml350 (i think?) for free last year. was too much of a pain to bring in.

NO warranty on US MB, unless you change the cluster. You will spend a BUTTload of cash getting it "conform" to MB canada.

okay but the only reason you wan to conform to MB canada is because of warranty issues right? after all, I dont think a 05 is still on warranty.

yea id like to know more about this as well.. looking to import a diesel from the states as they are reletively cheap.. any insights if I dont care about warranty how hard is it to import a US car to canada?

Not too hard. Before you had to change the cluster so that it would show KPH (on teh newer gens, the cluster does not have metric and imperial, only one of either). However the HUD can be set to display in KPH (in actual numbers) and so now, you don't need to change the cluster anymore to conform to transport canada. You still need a letter of conformity from the manufacturer, costs you $1k i believe. I got an ML and and SLK from there, wasnt too bad. Don;t forget they charge you an extra 15% duties if it's not a truck (made in USA). Hits the wallet pretty hard.

Not too hard. Before you had to change the cluster so that it would show KPH (on teh newer gens, the cluster does not have metric and imperial, only one of either). However the HUD can be set to display in KPH (in actual numbers) and so now, you don't need to change the cluster anymore to conform to transport canada. You still need a letter of conformity from the manufacturer, costs you $1k i believe. I got an ML and and SLK from there, wasnt too bad. Don;t forget they charge you an extra 15% duties if it's not a truck (made in USA). Hits the wallet pretty hard.

This is incorrect, the duties is 6.1%. and only applied to the models that are not made in the USA. the ML is manufactured in the USA, therefor there are no duties to pay.

It is less of a headache buying in Canada. There is also a much greater peace of mind knowing you will be serviced right. Keep in mind reselling the car as well.

Also, sometimes when buying from the US there is very little price difference at the end of the day.

shnapper27 based on the service I have received on all my cars purchased in Canada I can tell you that if you can do it yourself (even if you search and use youtube) it is way better than the average dealer quality. I have had to tell many dealer what to do when servicing my cars, from BMW to Jeep. Wrong spec oil, wrong procedure (blew some seals), fault found but no warranty coverage BLA BLA BLA and general disregard for your vehicle (had two scratched and damaged).
I am waiting to see how Audi fairs as I got the Audi care as I am traveling a lot and the cost was probably close to that of parts.

MB and BMW are in Class Action suits for the protectionist attitude and gouging of their customers; this should tell you something.

Cluster may be able to be reprogramed in Star Diagnostic look for details on the MB world or specific sites and ask there as it can be done easier than the dealer. They may have you by the short and curlies for warranty but in general they make it up as they go and have stopped the famous bumper swap BS.

I am looking to buy a US spec MB and one thing that bothers me is the fact that even after paying the $3000 plus cluster change rip off and warranty charges you still can not get any extended warranty. Based on that what will the service be like in Canada for warranty?

I heard that buying a benzo from the US and getting it here, you can get a few issues from MB Canada or something like that. Any one can clarify this?

From Mercedes-Benz Canada website:

Warranty and service benefits

A U.S. vehicle is entitled to the standard 4 years/80,000 km warranty, 8 years/130,000 km emission warranty and an adjustment period of 1 year/20,000 km, once the vehicle has been modified to meet Canadian specifications at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer in Canada. Requirements vary by model and may include the installation of day time running lights and changing instrumentation, gear shift selector and certain comfort features. This process can add up financially and take an extended time to complete. After modifications have been carried out, the vehicle must be inspected by a representative of Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. for which a service fee of $500 applies.

Equipped-for-Canada vehicles have the following coverage not available to U.S. imports:

- 2 years / 40,000 km wear & tear, covering brake pads, rotors as well as light bulbs.
- 5-year perforation corrosion coverage.
- Full battery coverage up to 4 years / 80,000 km (U.S. vehicles are covered for 2 years / 40,000 km).
- Extended Limited Warranty or Star Certified / pre-owned warranties will not be issued by Mercedes-Benz Canada for U.S. vehicles.
- Free service pick-up and delivery for S-Class, SL-Class, CL-Class, and G-Class models from and to customer's residence or office.
- Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. provides vehicle owners with Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance, 24 hours, 365 days of the year, for four years.
- Goodwill consideration after the expiration of the new car warranty.

Additionally, there are service implications regarding imported vehicles. The Canadian dealer organization is trained and equipped to service equipped-for-Canada vehicles. While the Canadian dealer organization provides warranty and other services for U.S. vehicles "visiting" Canada, the organization is not set up to provide such services for U.S. vehicles "resident" in Canada. For example, U.S. only parts in U.S. vehicles are not stocked in Canada.

Mike

Back