Earbud Review. Shure Se215 and Bose Ie2

od_man99

I wear headphones/earbuds for quite long periods. I consider myself an amateur audiophile. I thought I'd review my experience with two very popular designs.

For 15 months I owned and used, on a daily basis these guys:

ie2_headphones_bh_lg.jpg

IE2 audio headphones

High quality audio with instrumental and vocal detail
Advanced design, durable materials for lasting quality
StayHear® tips for greater stability during exercise and other activities
Hours of comfortable on-the-go listening
Options available for music listening and mobile calling Compare

Bose® in-ear headphones set a high standard for sound performance that conventional earbuds can't match. They feature an enhanced acoustic design that helps music sound smoother and more natural.

Quality construction combines a secure fit with durability, making these headphones ideal for music whenever you want, wherever you go. And there are options for mobile calling with iPhone®, Android™, BlackBerry® and Windows® phones.

The Good

These headphones were quite good. They offered decent, though a tad sluggish sound. They did sit well in the ear though and they wouldn't fall out on the casual jogging or the intense weight lifting events. I would use them between 2-3 hours per day at low volumes and they were pretty comfortable.

The Bad

Again, for anyone who loves music and look forward to faint notes these aren't the headphones for you. You don't get that bose crisp sound. Again, the bass feels off and in terms of range I felt it was quite limited.

After about 14 months the wires started cracking and stripping. I felt that for the price 120$ they did their job quite decently and lasted about a year, which is what I expected or what I've experience with other brands.

I'd say on 5, I'd rate them a solid 3.

Shure Se215

se215k_thumb.jpg

KEY FEATURES

Sound Isolating Design

Comfortable sound isolating sleeves block up to 37 dB of ambient noise. Sound isolation technology prevents outside noise from interfering with your listening experience, whether on-stage or on-the-go. Shure Sound Isolating Earphones require a proper fit to achieve the best sound.

Unmatched Personalization and Comfort
Ergonomic, Professional Design

Lightweight, low-profile shape with optimized nozzle angle is designed to rest comfortably in the ear.
Over-the-ear configuration keeps cables out of the way.

Detachable Cable with Wireform Fit

Durable Kevlar® reinforced cable allows easy replacement or customization.
Formable wire ensures secure placement, and over-the-ear configuration keeps cables out of the way.
Gold plated MMCX Connector has a lock-snap mechanism allowing 360-degree rotation for comfortable fit.

Fit Kit Includes:

Sound Isolating Sleeves

The role of the included sound isolating sleeves is twofold: blocking ambient noise and ensuring a comfortable customized fit. Because every ear is different, the Fit Kit includes three sizes (S, M, L) of the Flex and Black Foam Sleeves. Experiment with the size and style that creates the best fit for you—a good seal is key to optimizing sound isolation and bass response as well as maximizing comfort during extended wear.
Carrying Case

A soft-zip, compact carrying case is included to provide a convenient, tangle-free solution to store and travel with your earphones.

Two-Year Limited Warranty
The SE215 comes with a two-year limited warranty on materials and workmanship. See warranty information.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Speaker Type: Single Dynamic MicroDriver
Sensitivity (1kHz): 107 dB SPL/mW
Impedance (1kHz): 20 Ω
Noise Attenuation: Up to 37 dB
Frequency Range: 22Hz – 17.5kHz
Input Connector: Gold-plated 3.5 mm (1/8”)
Cable Length: 64” Detachable (at ear) with wireform fit
Color Available: Clear or Translucent Black

*In an effort to continually improve our products, technical specs are subject to change without notice.

I've used these for the past few days. After the bose broke, I read a bunch of reviews and decided to buy myself a pair. Note these are quite cheaper 89.99$ compared to the bose 99.99$.

The Good

Well, where to start? These headphones are the best I've ever owned. The design is flawless, they seriously cut all outside sound out. In terms of the quality of build, the part that goes into your ear is a small cushion like plug. Kind of like earplugs you'd use at a shooting range. The material quickly fills up your ear canal and gives great outside sound suppression, which I really didn't expect.

In terms of the range, wtv music you play you'll get excellent quality. Note I'm no expert, but let me tell you these headphones will give you goosebumps when they thump that low note or hit the highs. It's as if you are there and the artist is playing just for you. Again, the Shure Se215 are midrange headphones, you can buy the Se315 and Se425 and heck I'm going to consider them once these headphones get old.

The Bad

Well, I use these when I'm at work, in the lab, jogging or lifting weights. All four of the aforementioned activities require a bit of awareness of your surrounding environment. Considering I can't hear a thing when I have these headphones on, yes even at low settings, it's hard for people to communicate with me. Which is frustrating at times, but hell what could they have to say that's more important compared to wtv song or radioshow I'm playing :).

Apart from the aforementioned, I would say the other issue is getting use to the fit. It takes a few hours to get use to the design of the outer lobe but once that is done you'll love them.

Overall, for the price, 90 bucks, I'd say easy 4.5/5.

I hope you guys find the review useful for your future purchases. I quite enjoy finding information before buying a product.

I have a pair of Shures. I absolutely love them. The sound quality is amazing (for me) and they completely cut out ambient noise. I've praised them several times when flying and there's a crying baby, I just pop these guys in and I'm enjoying peace and quiet.

If you like earphones, you should try the Westone 3. My friend lent me his for a few months and they sounded amazing straight out of my Sansa Fuze. I bought the Westone 4 afterwards, but I wish I would've gotten the Westone 3. They sounded a lot better unamped. My Westone 4 with the Sansa Fuze + AudioMinor LOD (ELNA capacitors) + Graham Slee Voyager portable amp with Contour (hardware bass boost) on sound pretty good, but it's too bulky to be portable.

watch out for the Shure. Make sure you take care of the wiring. My last 3 pairs lasted only 1 year each. I have cheap Sennheiser's now. Sturdy but, of course, sound is not that great.

I work with my Shure eadphone since 2 years. They almost completely cut the sound of the machinerie I work with and Ibarely have to put the volume past 60%. I use them about 40 hours a week, I'm rough with them, and they stille look and sound like they are new. They are the best headphones I have ever owned, by far.

The Bad

Well, I use these when I'm at work, in the lab, jogging or lifting weights. All four of the aforementioned activities require a bit of awareness of your surrounding environment. Considering I can't hear a thing when I have these headphones on, yes even at low settings, it's hard for people to communicate with me. Which is frustrating at times, but hell what could they have to say that's more important compared to wtv song or radioshow I'm playing :).

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/awareness!-the-headphone-app/id389245456?mt=8

I have the SE210s, very happy with them over the last 5 years. I bought them strictly because they came with the triple flange inner ear piece.

Only problem with them is the extension wire is kind of iffy now, but it's $15 to replace it.

I work with my Shure eadphone since 2 years. They almost completely cut the sound of the machinerie I work with and Ibarely have to put the volume past 60%. I use them about 40 hours a week, I'm rough with them, and they stille look and sound like they are new. They are the best headphones I have ever owned, by far.

Thin I can use them at range.

i had shure and then bought westones.

i prefer by far the comfort of the westones and alsi the twisted wire instead of plain

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

bump, im looking for the shure se215 but It seem that it go for 129$ +tx is anywhere that I can find them cheaper ?

earphonesolutions $100 and often they have 20% discounts.

they ship free to canada if you buy $200 or more

bump, im looking for the shure se215 but It seem that it go for 129$ +tx is anywhere that I can find them cheaper ?
Ebay, beware of fakes tho (apparently). Honestly, just get Westone 3 and call it a day. You won't be disappointed.

Ebay, beware of fakes tho (apparently). Honestly, just get Westone 3 and call it a day. You won't be disappointed.

ebay shure are 99$ + shipping
westone 3 are 280$ + shipping lol... (I only need earbud for ride on my bike :p )
earphonesolutions look nice and its free shipping over 98$ :p probably going to buy from them

Best earbuds = Yuin.

I have the PK1, which are discountinued, and they are the kings. You can get the OK1 now if I remember.

ebay shure are 99$ + shipping
westone 3 are 280$ + shipping lol... (I only need earbud for ride on my bike :p )
earphonesolutions look nice and its free shipping over 98$ :p probably going to buy from them

ebay and amazon no warranty... earphonesolutions 2 tears.

i bought Shures and 2x westone from them.. very satisfied

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

^They broke within 2 months.

Guess what? No warranty. Fuck that guys, get Bose.

No warranty? How come? I bought my Shure earphones on eBay and had them replaced under warranty. They just checked the manufacturing date by looking at the number on the headphone jack instead of a bill.

By the way, the funniest thing about earphones is that their warranty is usually one year and they break as soon as it expires ;)

Back