Educate me: Eastern Europe

Cool we'll look into renting a car looks like a great idea. The main reason why we wanted to travel mainly by train was to be able to travel at night and sleep, reducing wasted times and renting hotel rooms.

Cool we'll look into renting a car looks like a great idea. The main reason why we wanted to travel mainly by train was to be able to travel at night and sleep, reducing wasted times and renting hotel rooms.

From what I've heard and seen, Train is a cluster-fuck-fest in many countries of Eastern Europe. It's good for months long trip where losing a day ain't critical. It sure is cheap though, especially in Serbia.

just a heads up , i wouldnt travel between croatia and serbia at all . no sure how it is on the serb side but entering croatia with a serb stamp on ur passport could give u headaches u dont want . a few year ago i went i a lil field trip from split to medugorje in bosnia . i was travelling with 2 croats and a serb girl that lives in hungary and they almost held her at the border . i dunno how it would pass with canadian passports as i havent been to belgrade since yugoslavia but i can tell u the hatred between the 2 country's although somewhat diminished is still very present , so be carful .

honestly though people can say what they want , but between serbia and croatia , u will see and have way more fun in croatia if u stay on the coast . if u go inland to zagreb or gonna bore ur ass to death during the summer . just my 0.02 cents

just a heads up , i wouldnt travel between croatia and serbia at all . no sure how it is on the serb side but entering croatia with a serb stamp on ur passport could give u headaches u dont want . a few year ago i went i a lil field trip from split to medugorje in bosnia . i was travelling with 2 croats and a serb girl that lives in hungary and they almost held her at the border . i dunno how it would pass with canadian passports as i havent been to belgrade since yugoslavia but i can tell u the hatred between the 2 country's although somewhat diminished is still very present , so be carful .

honestly though people can say what they want , but between serbia and croatia , u will see and have way more fun in croatia if u stay on the coast . if u go inland to zagreb or gonna bore ur ass to death during the summer . just my 0.02 cents

I literally pulled my girlfriend (Serb and living in Canada since her 18th birthday) and her cousin (all time Belgrade'er) through all of Ex-Yugoslavia on that road trip with my ever lasting optimism. They were full of the apprehensions you are talking about. I'm super easy going and gave no single fuck about the possible ethnic problems. Everything went super smooth at borders. Especially if you are not crossing at small crossing. Just stick to the main roads/highway but as a Canadian... you won't get shit. Serbia and Croatia are begging the Euro for a member ship and have already started adapting their border to Euro standards. It totally felt like crossing from France to Switzerland or Germany to Austria.

We did stay away from Zagreb (because dirty/boring/dangerous for Serbs) and were super careful with the car in Split. I also made sure the cousin wasn't going around with his "Red Star" soccer shirt ;)

I think that right now the only border hot spot is with Kosovo or with tiny frontier were idiot locals work.

Fuck I could also talk alot about my encounter with the local police and my my discovery of my girlfriend's amazing talents at bribery... fuck so much good memories.

Best advice. Stay away from Serbia. Very lame country. But that's advice coming from a Croatian.

Seriously though listen to what skybox recommends above. Key thing to remember Croats and Bosnians, don't mix well with Serbs

I literally pulled my girlfriend (Serb and living in Canada since her 18th birthday) and her cousin (all time Belgrade'er) through all of Ex-Yugoslavia on that road trip with my ever lasting optimism. They were full of the apprehensions you are talking about. I'm super easy going and gave no single fuck about the possible ethnic problems. Everything went super smooth at borders. Especially if you are not crossing at small crossing. Just stick to the main roads/highway but as a Canadian... you won't get shit. Serbia and Croatia are begging the Euro for a member ship and have already started adapting their border to Euro standards. It totally felt like crossing from France to Switzerland or Germany to Austria.

We did stay away from Zagreb (because dirty/boring/dangerous for Serbs) and were super careful with the car in Split. I also made sure the cousin wasn't going around with his "Red Star" soccer shirt ;)

I think that right now the only border hot spot is with Kosovo or with tiny frontier were idiot locals work.

Fuck I could also talk alot about my encounter with the local police and my my discovery of my girlfriend's amazing talents at bribery... fuck so much good memories.

split is home of FC hajduk . they are the worst hooligans soccer has to offer second to maybe only the english. its almost a garanteed death to walk around with a zvijezda jersey on lol but im sure the OP aint gonna be sporting that so no worries ...

also about the border crap . no idea how it actually is now , was merely stating my experience a few years back .

also safe to say m85iroc-z dont like the serbs lol

Best advice. Stay away from Serbia. Very lame country. But that's advice coming from a Croatian.

Seriously though listen to what skybox recommends above. Key thing to remember Croats and Bosnians, don't mix well with Serbs

When I went to Novi Sad, Serbia for the Exit Festival (which OP SHOULD aware himself about), there was a lot of Croatians and Slovenian adults and teen enjoying their time very much. IT IS one of the nicest music festival in the world. That music festival WAS created by the youth of the early 2000 as a "Fuck You" to the Nationalists of Milocevic. Time and the horrors of wars have changed people drastically in the last 20 years. The same nice vibe is present in Belgrade. I agree, outside of Belgrade, in the countryside, it gets "redneckish" but I still had great party-all-night-long time even in Nic.

I've been to Poland 3 times in the last 2.5 years. Most younger people speak English. You shouldn't have a hard time getting around.

Wroclaw, absolutely fantastic city with gorgeous women.
Krakov, Lots of tourists, kinda cool to see the castle on the top of the hill. Wieliczka Salt Mine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine Is seriously cool to see. and is really close, Also Auschwitz is really close, and worth the visit.
Zakopane, very nice tourist destination in the hills, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakopane. Kinda cool, not a must see.

Thanks A LOT everyone, better to receive advice from people on MR that actually went to those places than just randomly choosing where we will go!

remember what i said about homophobia....it's the major leagues over there... i know you're straight....but i just want to reiterate. hehe, just saying :p i love to point it out.

Russkiis and little-simili-Russkii-countries are so funny *byewhore*

remember what i said about homophobia....it's the major leagues over there... i know you're straight....but i just want to reiterate. hehe, just saying :p i love to point it out.

Russkiis and little-simili-Russkii-countries are so funny *byewhore*

Don't worry I love vagins lol.

@ Russian_M3, where should we go in Russia to have a blast?

yeah, let's go to moscow, stop the gay pride, and hit those gayish Brits :banana:

Would love to go Russland....looks like an amazing place to party and see some nice winter/summer landscapes, sick ass nightclubs, beautiful girls, historical buildings...etc...

Gotta beware of the gazillions or neo-nazis skinheads, but im sure its doable.

Don't worry I love vagins lol.

@ Russian_M3, where should we go in Russia to have a blast?

Moscow to party and to spend money .. St-Petersburg for historical and cultural tourism AND is always considered one of the MOST romantic cities in the world (best time to visit is for the white nights)

Everywhere you go you will find beautiful women and lots of interesting things to see that you don't see in north american on daily basis.

Be prepared to spend some extra money in Moscow as its one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Most non Russian people that I know who have visited Russia were VERY happy with their trip and some even returned.

The rest of eastern European countries will be fun to visit for a few days not more.. Russia requires a week at least to enjoy the sights. ( Moscow and St-Petersburg only).

First things that come to my mind for you to visit in Moscow and St-Petes are : Kremlin, red square, Lenin's mausoleum, Gorky park, Hermitage, Petergof, Ekaterina's palace, the opening of the bridges at night (st petes)..

Other than that : restaurants, saunas, shooting range, theaters and museums (many very famous and known museums and theaters throughout the world)

Russia has a very rich history, culture and many traditions to see, learn and appreciate.

I am sure it will be the highlight of your euro trip if you spend enough time there.

When you come back you'll be drinking vodka straight, chased with pickles or smoked sprats.

@ Russian_M3; Don't you need to be invited to get a visa for Russia?

When you come back you'll be drinking vodka straight, chased with pickles or smoked sprats.

@ Russian_M3; Don't you need to be invited to get a visa for Russia?

You can apply for a visa without an invitation. It's not as easy as before to get the visa thought !

Back