24 Hours of Lemons - Twin Turbo NYC Taxi Cab vs. Titanic

Lemons is an insane amount of fun! Racing a car you genuinely don't give a shit about will never get old to me.

24 Hour of Lemons AND Chump Car World Series are great 'crap can' racing series.

The two have gotten a little bit similar; but when Lemons and Chump Car first started (they organisers actually split), they had two different takes. Chump Car was more Racing, Lemons was more 'crazy'. They had a 'People's Choice' Award... they would pick a car half way through the race; and crush it. They'd give you the money you had put into the car; I think up to $1500... But the average ' 500$ ' racer costs about $5,000 in terms of Parts, Labour, Safety Equipment.

Chump Car is more geared towards racing. The understand that most of the cars cost a lot more. While the cars look like crap cans, they all are maintained. New bearings, brakes, shocks, bushings... you're pretty much a jobber parts store best friend at that point.

We're building a team at the ASE Club. There are races in Chump Car at Shannonville and Calabogie; and we are trying to bring one to Quebec also!

24 Hour of Lemons AND Chump Car World Series are great 'crap can' racing series.

The two have gotten a little bit similar; but when Lemons and Chump Car first started (they organisers actually split), they had two different takes. Chump Car was more Racing, Lemons was more 'crazy'. They had a 'People's Choice' Award... they would pick a car half way through the race; and crush it. They'd give you the money you had put into the car; I think up to $1500... But the average ' 500$ ' racer costs about $5,000 in terms of Parts, Labour, Safety Equipment.

Chump Car is more geared towards racing. The understand that most of the cars cost a lot more. While the cars look like crap cans, they all are maintained. New bearings, brakes, shocks, bushings... you're pretty much a jobber parts store best friend at that point.

We're building a team at the ASE Club. There are races in Chump Car at Shannonville and Calabogie; and we are trying to bring one to Quebec also!

I'd love to do an event in Quebec. I've done 4 LeMons so far with the same team and loved it. But, it would be nice to have an event closer to home (new fathers on the team so it's harder to get the extra time off for the long drives). Chump car is on our list of events we would like to do as well but we'll see. This is the first year in four years that we have missed a LeMons event so next season we want to do something for sure.

I'd love to do an event in Quebec. I've done 4 LeMons so far with the same team and loved it. But, it would be nice to have an event closer to home (new fathers on the team so it's harder to get the extra time off for the long drives). Chump car is on our list of events we would like to do as well but we'll see. This is the first year in four years that we have missed a LeMons event so next season we want to do something for sure.

We are in discussion with CC for a ASE race in 2013. stay tuned to the lapping section for more details.
and yes, there at least 4 new teams building cars in Que.

that looks freaking fun. I always loved jobber racing cars instead of : Who's able to afford the fastest car.

i was at the 24hr chumpcar race with my father in law at VIR two weeks ago. It was great fun, although there was a lot of cheating and poor driving. there was a z32 that was practically a tube frame (definitely not $500) and a mercedes 190E with the EU engine in it. Shame that people cheat in something that is supposed to be fun.

So much cheating at the Lemons too. I feel that very very few teams actually do it the right way.

So much cheating at the Lemons too. I feel that very very few teams actually do it the right way.

for example, the turbos on that taxi are worth more than $500.
the vehicle is supposed to be valued at $500 + safety equipment.
shocks, engines etc are not to be modified, but they always are...

Exactly! We included every quart of oil, can of spraypaint duct tape etc into our build cost and we were just under the limit...the way it should be. We've been using the same car for all 4 races and all we do is change the oil and re-pack the bearings.

I have run with Mealtime in CC for 5 races so far, their beater EG has Konis- +100 and a header +50 and thats it.
The key is to have a reliable car that is light and handles well.
Right now , their is another CDN team running the same car, but with a B16.... so yeah some folks need to compensate driving with powahhh.

Hope to see you guys at the track.

We are looking to do the RA race in October.

I have run with Mealtime in CC for 5 races so far, their beater EG has Konis- +100 and a header +50 and thats it.
The key is to have a reliable car that is light and handles well.
Right now , their is another CDN team running the same car, but with a B16.... so yeah some folks need to compensate driving with powahhh.

Hope to see you guys at the track.

We are looking to do the RA race in October.

OK but say you get a base model civic and have a b16 laying around from a previous project, does it count in the expenses?

OK but say you get a base model civic and have a b16 laying around from a previous project, does it count in the expenses?

Any parts you add to that car are counted in the $500 limit, wheteher or not you bought it or had it laying around will be assigned a market value and added to the estimated worth of the car.

For anything performance related, the series applies a 'Performance' penalty. You start the race a certain # of laps down depending on how modified your car is.
If you try and sneak anything by them, they will simply park you after the race starts... oh so sorry, no refund.

Back