US - CDN border

Assman

Does anyone know for a fact if the two sides communicate, or exchange information on the length of your stay outside of Canada. (assuming you live in Canada and are visiting the states)

For example is there anyway upon re-entry to Canada that the Canadian customs officer prove how long you stayed for?

Thanks,

thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard seriously..

when you go out they scan your passport you dont think that their systems would autofill the date of EXIT and on the canadian side date of rentry?

Honestly that would be a huge lapse in security and post 9-11 i dont think that theory stands a chance.

good luck if your lying to them anyways lol

they dont... BUT.

they can check your entry by asking the US side when you came in (they did that a few times for me)

also, the canadiam side has started to compiterize theor entries since a few months ago (before they would never punch your info, now they do it most of the times but not always). there is a project to connect both soon. it's a matter of time now that the canadian sise has a database.

also, you need to prove your length of stay, by showing a receipt proving your stay... but they still can manually check with the US side.

------
Excuse all the typos.. Sent from mobile device.

they dont... BUT.

they can check your entry by asking the US side when you came in (they did that a few times for me)

also, the canadiam side has started to compiterize theor entries since a few months ago (before they would never punch your info, now they do it most of the times but not always). there is a project to connect both soon. it's a matter of time now that the canadian sise has a database.

also, you need to prove your length of stay, by showing a receipt proving your stay... but they still can manually check with the US side.

------

This is correct , I have a friend who works at the Rcmp and he confirmed what you said.

But they rarely check, My father lives in Plattsburgh and I cross the border 1 or twice a month and sometimes I say that I've been there for more than 24 hours to bring back stuff even if it's not the case.
But don't get caught cause you'll be flagged every time you cross the border.

Last edited:
But they rarely check, My father leaves in Plattsburgh and I cross the border 1 or twice a month and sometimes I say that I've been there for more than 24 hours to bring back stuff even if it's not the case.
But don't get caught cause you'll be flagged every time you cross the border.

i have passed hundreds of times (more than 30 times a year sine 1992)

until last year i had never been bothered, but this year they are MUCH more strict.

this year I have had my entry checked once and they have asked for proof of stay multiple times.

yssterday they even had me stop to take a look at the bunch of stuff I broight back... let me go of coirse but im glad I had all my papers.

------

Thanks for the info... the passport thing is a deal breaker, I guess I'll just divert to plan #2...

Lying to a federal peace officer is never a good idea. Lots of people think they are out smarting others but often it could lead to a trap.
I've been told that sometimes they'll let people pass knowing they have shipments or contraband and then follow them to see if it can lead to the bigger fish.. seems like a movie but it's done in real life
speaking of that - [video=vimeo;47738878]http://vimeo.com/47738878[/video]

They do share basic info such as crossing times, photos on entry to USA/CAN and all that stuff. Anything else they need to call the office and the American's hate answering questions from Canada.

I once had an issue with CBSA not believing the time I crosed into the USA. They pulled up a time stamped photo of my car with me driving..

Seriously there is no point making up stories to save a couple bucks in tax...

sorry but no they don't

------

Right I guess I must not know what I'm talking about or imagined when the CBSA agent printed out a time stamped photo of my car crossing into the USA. With me clearly visible of the driver. It was obtained in under 2 mins off a computer then they placed a call to the US crossing at Roosevelt Town NY to verify that info.

30+ crossings a year as well :)

well they can obtain that info that's for sure.

But every time they have checked my entry they had to ask the US side, without having it on the computer. They would def. not waste time asking the US side if they had it on the screen... And they've done it more than once in my case.

I guess your border has a different setup than the one I use every weekend

The two countries want to develop an integrated entry and exit information system to keep tabs on people’s movements. A pilot project, beginning next September at two to four land border crossings, will pass along information on the movement of third-country nationals and permanent residents of Canada and the U.S. to the American government. By July 2014, the entry-exit program will apply to Canadian citizens as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/12/07/beyond-the-border-perimeter-security-canada_n_1134463.html

your port of entry is probably part of this pilot project where mine isn't

It's not worth trying to play the system.. as someone said the border is the place with the least amount of privacy and rights.. they can strip you and your car apart if they want to and no warrant necessary.
Whatever it is.. I ain't giving them a hard time or a reason to mess me up like that. As long as you're honest (and hell pay a bit of taxes) according to my experience, it was good.

I laugh when people are trying to smuggle back 500$ worth of clothes or random stuff. It's just not worth the hassle

Back