PC question - calling all gurus

Like i said earlier: Windows Home (if it's enough for your needs) is 105.00$

We can easily cut on some stuff if it's only a budget question.

Why ?

He said he was flexible on budget and he wanted something fast and good for multi-tasking.
Well 20 core and shit load of RAM aren't any good if the HD can't follow them.

The bottleneck in todays computer is the storage, the easy and inexpensive fix is SSD as boot partition.

Why ?

He said he was flexible on budget and he wanted something fast and good for multi-tasking.
Well 20 core and shit load of RAM aren't any good if the HD can't follow them.

The bottleneck in todays computer is the storage, the easy and inexpensive fix is SSD as boot partition.

I am flexible yes!
I tried to order but the SSD you suggest is out of stock.. I assume it was a good deal so they grabbed it fast.
Any other similar suggestions?

good to see you aren't going with a laptop or FS pre built.

Even if a laptop might currently be as fast or close to a desktop you build right now, teh upgrade paths down the road are limited, and they really aren't built very well, especially not at 600$

I am flexible yes!
I tried to order but the SSD you suggest is out of stock.. I assume it was a good deal so they grabbed it fast.
Any other similar suggestions?

This! Even better that the other one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

It's faster, newer and even got 5 years warranty instead of 3.
They had no stock last week, don't forget to plug yours 2 drive in SATA 6Gb ports, specially the SSD.

Send me a PM once u'll have your computer running, i like to have feedback on my build.

^ Alright I'll give it a go.. so far I haven't ordered a backup drive as I already have one (but I think it's only 5400 rpm)
What I store on that drive will mainly be movies so I don't mind an extra 2 seconds to wait to have that drive accessed and if it's annoying me at the end I'll add a faster one in the future.
For now I wanna see how fast the system boots and manages things from the SSD

Thanks again for the recommendation! :)

^ Alright I'll give it a go.. so far I haven't ordered a backup drive as I already have one (but I think it's only 5400 rpm)
What I store on that drive will mainly be movies so I don't mind an extra 2 seconds to wait to have that drive accessed and if it's annoying me at the end I'll add a faster one in the future.
For now I wanna see how fast the system boots and manages things from the SSD

Thanks again for the recommendation! :)

If you store your movie or music collection 5400rpm or 7200rpm won't really make a difference so it's all good.

lol it's funny, I think we're all on the same page here. Fact of the matter is, for, relatively speaking, a marginally larger amount of money, you will get a system that is far more stable, powerful, performant, and given your obvious interest and saavy, you know will last you perfectly well for a long period of time.

Definitely very stable list from altivec, and as for the OS, you can get an OEM copy for relatively cheap.

The thing is, you should be aware that the particular spec list provided, considering your usage, is a VERY powerful machine. You should consider what you genuinely use your PC for. If it's (serious question), for general downloading, surfing, media watching, photo editing, and not more intensive tasks, such as virtual machines, databases and other 'services' related computer tasks, the machine posted should, with an occasional OS reinstall, likely last you 5+ years....

Even if gaming is a consideration, you can still go lower spec (previous gen of CPU is still blazing fast, multi-threaded, etc), a marginal investment in a video card will run every current game at very high spec.

As for the previous statement from the guy regarding Lenovo and IBM; completely agree. When it was sold the first year, it was the last of their stability, as for a period, certain hardware was still IBM sourced, but Lenovo branded. Its too bad IBM dumped that business branch. /thread crap

Last edited:
^ Yeah. I mean I was very close to just go to BB or FS to pick up an already made tower, hook it up to my screen and get it going till a coworker of mine mentioned he'd bought stuff from NCIX and built it. It brought back memories as well as the logic of paying around the same amount of money for a much better system, with a bit of effort. I guess I got out of my lazy-mode.
Purolator dropped of a box already so the rest should be coming tomorrow or so. :)

^ Yeah. I mean I was very close to just go to BB or FS to pick up an already made tower, hook it up to my screen and get it going till a coworker of mine mentioned he'd bought stuff from NCIX and built it. It brought back memories as well as the logic of paying around the same amount of money for a much better system, with a bit of effort. I guess I got out of my lazy-mode.
Purolator dropped of a box already so the rest should be coming tomorrow or so. :)

It's still fun to build it's own stuff, for troubleshooting after (if needed) at least you know what you got inside and how flexible it is.
Did you end up ordering everything from NewEgg or you did price match with NCIX ? (if so how much u saved?).

Oh hai guys
Im also in the process of building a new rig
Im looking to build a decent budget gaming rig that would run actual games at high settings.
Budget of max 750 txin
I dont care about flashy cases
I dont want anything AMD
Im really looking for the BESTEST bang for my buck but I still want quality parts.

So far Im lookin at

Intel ie2500k -209$
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -141$
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 -139$
G.skill Ripjaws-X F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL Dual Channel 2*4GB -54$

Still need to figure out:
Case
Power supply
Wifi N card
19/20 inch screen(not gonna calculate in the 750$)

Any advice or recommendations>?

Screen: Look at dell great deal often on 24"
CPU: Why 2500k ? Do you really look at overclocking ? Go to newer CPU if you can (Ivy Bridge @ ~190$)
Motherboard: Why Z77 chipset if you stay with Sandy Bridge CPU ? Z68 will do the job, personally i would go with Ivy Bridge CPU with such board.
Storage: How much would you need ?
Power Supply: Corsair you won't regret it.

Do you have any equipment you already have (keyboard, mouse, storage, etc... if so specify what you have with brand/model)

Screen: Look at dell great deal often on 24"

I find 24 inches too big for gaming, 20 inches would be optimal, does dell make great deals on 20s too?

CPU: Why 2500k ? Do you really look at overclocking ? Go to newer CPU if you can (Ivy Bridge @ ~190$)

OCing eventually when needed, as long as I can run games on higher settings at 100fps I wont OC. ie borderlands 2, CSGO

Motherboard: Why Z77 chipset if you stay with Sandy Bridge CPU ? Z68 will do the job, personally i would go with Ivy Bridge CPU with such board.

Dunno z77 seemed like a good option, z68 will offer similar performances and sli possibility? What would be the best bang? 2500k with z68 or Ivy with z77? What would be the cheaper option and how much money would be saved approximately?

Storage: How much would you need ?

500G will do

Power Supply: Corsair you won't regret it.

Do you have any equipment you already have (keyboard, mouse, storage, etc... if so specify what you have with brand/model)

Yes I have all the other equipment but I will need a decent WIFI N wireless card and a case .

Thx for taking the time to look into this cheers

-------------------------------------

btw, i too am shopping for a "budget" work pc, i stumbled upon "Ferrari pc" on kijiji, search his ads, i found his stuff to be reasonably priced for what you are getting.

edit: almost all of his ad's have been deleted, keep checking to see if he puts any new stuff up.

Just assembled and installed windows 7 ultimate.
There's no noise other than the fan and from the moment I switched the button on till windows completely loads.. I calculated about 13 seconds. :)

guy is selling this for 840$ taxes in\w windows installed, think its a decent deal?

★Gigabyte Z77 D3H Intel 1155 motherboard
★Intel i5 3570K Sandy Bridge unlocked CPU
★Zalman CNPS5X CPU cooler
★MSI HD7770 1GB video card
★8GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz memory
★Western Digital Black 1 Terrabyte SATA III 7200rpm hard drive OR
★120GB SSD (Sandisk Extreme, OCZ Vertex, Crucial M4, etc.) OR (+$110 for both)
★LiteOn DVD writer
★Zalman Z11 gaming PC case
★Antec 450 watt 80 plus bronze power supply

guy is selling this for 840$ taxes in\w windows installed, think its a decent deal?

★Gigabyte Z77 D3H Intel 1155 motherboard
★Intel i5 3570K Sandy Bridge unlocked CPU
★Zalman CNPS5X CPU cooler
★MSI HD7770 1GB video card
★8GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz memory
★Western Digital Black 1 Terrabyte SATA III 7200rpm hard drive OR
★120GB SSD (Sandisk Extreme, OCZ Vertex, Crucial M4, etc.) OR (+$110 for both)
★LiteOn DVD writer
★Zalman Z11 gaming PC case
★Antec 450 watt 80 plus bronze power supply

Similar to this but no gpu included:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580461&Sku=B69-1412
550$

Add a more powerful and just better gtx 560
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-evga-geforce-gtx-560-se-01g-p3-1464-kr-evga-price-378751.html
135$

total 685$ before taxes

Damn I might just go for this deal.

Back