Article: Poll: Knockoffs & Replicas vs The Real Deal

Replica vs Original Parts: Where do you stand?

• Original parts only! Replicas hurt the industry. Support the originals.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • Replicas are fine! They are affordable and get the job done.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • No strong feelings either way.

Votes: 28 22.4%

• Total voters
Find me some decent 22" wheels for a truck , without going the HRE way and i'll gladly check them out.

The only thing i could find with decent offset , nice finish and concave to put on the truck were Forgestar's F14.

With good rubber , i paid roughly 4500$. If this is being cheap. Well call me cheap then. At the end of the day , the rims , combined with the H&R springs give me a pretty good looking minivan.

The only thing i'd never buy generic are car parts such as suspension and engine parts.

Find me some decent 22" wheels for a truck , without going the HRE way and i'll gladly check them out.

The only thing i could find with decent offset , nice finish and concave to put on the truck were Forgestar's F14.

With good rubber , i paid roughly 4500$. If this is being cheap. Well call me cheap then. At the end of the day , the rims , combined with the H&R springs give me a pretty good looking minivan.

The only thing i'd never buy generic are car parts such as suspension and engine parts.

vossen ?

I did not read teh thread and voted replicas are fine but had some reservations, now that I see it's about rims, replicas are fine.

If you do not have the budget to buy high dollar wheels there is an alternative...any JDM shop in and around Montreal have an assortment of REAL high quality wheels. If they are a little used up and have some paint chips here and there chances are they can be refinished. Just stay away from wheels that look too badly damaged (curb rash, hair line cracks, etc.) I bought a set of Volk Racing wheels for 350$. They are a 2 piece forged wheel. I did however need to restore them but all said and done i spent $550 including the purchase of the wheels because i did a lot of the work myself. They took very minimal wheel weights once i balanced them. I guess i got lucky but still worth a shot

J'ai voté le dernier choix car personnellement, je me fous de la marque des mes roues ( pour le moment) et disons que le bolt patern de certaine voiture rendre la vie dur à leur propriétaire, ma focus a un patern de 4 x108, y'a pas vraiment de compagnie real deal disponible dans ce patern. ( Seul que j'ai vu à date était des Ronal LS) Je me dis que l'important est de ne pas cheap out sur des pièces du moteur, de la suspension ou des pneus ( mes prochains pneus s'alignent sur des toyo proxes ou des hankook RS3)

It's about everything involving car parts. Not just wheels.

oh, in that case, it all depends on what it is, but rims are definitely not something I care particularly much about being legit or replica.

For other parts, it all depends, I really rather OEM stuff most of the time if possible.

If you do not have the budget to buy high dollar wheels there is an alternative...any JDM shop in and around Montreal have an assortment of REAL high quality wheels. If they are a little used up and have some paint chips here and there chances are they can be refinished. Just stay away from wheels that look too badly damaged (curb rash, hair line cracks, etc.) I bought a set of Volk Racing wheels for 350$. They are a 2 piece forged wheel. I did however need to restore them but all said and done i spent $550 including the purchase of the wheels because i did a lot of the work myself. They took very minimal wheel weights once i balanced them. I guess i got lucky but still worth a shot
If only they would import larger wheel with low offset at a raisonnable price , it would be fantastic.

been rocking reps all summer and got more thumbs up than i can remember , my girl was even saying we get a TU everytime were out . whats the problem ?

There are other factors.

1. For a DD reps anyday. In 3 years with my reps, i've curbed them twice. It's my DD, im tired sometimes, don't give a shit sometimes. Shit happens. If I had curbed a 5-600$ wheel, i'd be pissed. Real pissed.
2. I have to drive in montreal sometimes. I would not trust to drive on those roads with expensive wheels, an expensive gamble.
3. My Reps are actually nicer than the OEM wheels they imitate, and about the same weight. There's really no disadvantage with them at all.
4. When you have cars like mine with no aftermarket support, you take what you can get.

3 Years with reps. No problems.

Back