Official 2013 Tire thread

jsi

Legacy Member
Over the last few months there are several scattered rumors floating around about a new crop of street/race tires to be released for 2013. With SEMA just around the corner, we may see more official announcements soon.

Meanwhile, here's what I've seen/heard so far...

Also expect an announcement from BF Goodrich of a new Extreme Performance Street tire soon (probably at SEMA)

Kumho V720 street tire:

204b64dba2.jpg

Dunlop Direzza Z2 street tire:

z2_size_bg.jpg

Bridgestone RE-11A street tire:

19.jpg

Toyo Proxes RR race tire (40 TW):

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-rr-DOT-competition-tires

toyo-proxes-rr.jpg

Last edited:
At SEMA, saw the new Maxxis again- they say it will arrive this year.
Saw the Toyo, we will see if it works or not.
Nothing really new from the others. Sad to see Falken not evolve.

Siily season- tire version- is about to heat up.

Qu'est-ce que je devrais rouler sur mon set de mag (square) 4 mags arrière de M3 pour ma Z3 Coupe.

J'ai des r888 pas mal finis (235) je pensais aller vers des 245 ... Mes choix NT-01 et quoi d'autre?

j'ai 2 set roue ,oem (8 pouces av et 9 arr) avec des yoko ad08 235av et 265 arr. et 1 autre set sur 255av et 285 arr avec RS3 sur des Forgestar 8.5 av et 10 arr, et satisfait avec les 2 sortes. Les pneus que j'ai détesté c'est les michelin d'origine sur la CS

A little bit of info about the Dunlop ZII:

http://www.onehotlap.com/2012/11/dunlop-star-spec-direzza-zii-tire-as.html

Cliffs:

In testing over 5 laps, the ZII's fastest lap was 1.3% faster than the Z1's fastest lap.
The single lap improvement (starting from cold tires) was 1.7%, which would be huge for autocrossing!
The 10-lap average time improvement was .9% (that average excludes the best and worst laps of the 10 recorded for more representative results). That's the improvement you'd expect in a typical track session.

Very interested in the RE-11A, although this makes me think there may be deals to be had on the RE-11 if places like Tire Rack and 1010tires need to make room for new stock

The new STAR SPEC Z II have arrived at Perry Performance & Competition.

205/50r15 to start,

BFG's new tire for 2013 is the Rival. Looks like it did very well in this test:

http://blog.365racing.net/2013/01/2...-street-tire-review-at-nola-motorsports-park/

bfg_gforce_rival4r_ci2_l.jpg

Here is the latest from the official tire launch- NOT TIRE TEST- but a BF tire launch, so take the info with a grain of salt....

Our testing began with a short autocross in Subaru STis. We were comparing the Rival against the Toyo R1R and the Hankook RS3. Unlike other programs I have done where the hero goes last, we were asked to drive on the Rival first. Two runs on each tire, and then one more on the Rival to get a final impression. My first impression of the Rival was that the turn in was fantastic. We were told that initial testers tended to take out apex cones due to unexpected crispness. I confirmed their findings. However, in the middle of the corner I found the car harder to point than the other two with my AWD pitch and punch driving style. This, in and of itself may actually be a good sign for the Rival, as that style relies upon being able to get the rear of the car to slide on entry and then powering out of the slide and the corner. The grip of the Rival, though, held the rear more in check, making rotation more challenging. Given an opportunity to tune tire pressures and alignment so that the additional grip of the rival was working with rather than against me, I think I could have found a bit of time and much more comfort on the tire. Still, the quickness of the tire to respond was unique. Typically a street tire needs a moment to take a set before you can give the next input, usually throttle. The Rival seemed instantly ready for what was next, which was usually throttle.

Our second exercise was a skip pad, utilizing MX-5 Cup cars and three BFGoodrich Tires, the Comp 2, Rival and R1S. Despite this was an all in brand fight, this was by far the most eye opening exercise of the day, and with the most consistent results amongst the testers. We did have g-meters in the car, and as expected pulled about .1 g more as we moved up the line. What was more impressive was the range displayed by the Rival. By range, I mean is how much latitude the car gives you to work with between over driving and under driving. On the Comp 2, too much throttle would cause the car to walk away from the center of the skid pad. A lift and it would come back. On the R1s, too much throttle would bring the rear out and induce a brief, but easily correctable slide. Theses two tires had a specific way they wanted to be driven, the preferred method was clear, and easy to find. On the Rival, however, there seemed to be multiple correct answers to the question of how to get around the skid pad. Once you got to a speed where you really felt the tire working, and then squeezed a little more throttle, the sensation was that the car dug in harder. It would eventually give up, and develop a push, but the distance between the point of working and the point of giving up grip was extremely impressive. What this means, unlike several of the current top ST tires, the Rival feels very forgiving. More forgiving tires tend to reduce the penalty for each error made on course. A miscalculation on entry speed can be better managed and a sloppy input can be better absorbed.

Next we went to the big autocross course, featuring the BMW M3, and this time just the Hankook RS3 as a competitor… and stopwatches. Though a gentlemen’s agreement was forged not to share times, the tendency was to be a few tenths quicker on the Rival on our 2nd runs on the course than we were on Runs 3 or 4 on the Hankook. Unlike the STi, I felt the Rival was perfectly suited to the M3 from the start. The course featured 4 major breaking zones and the difference in confidence under breaking was extremely stark. Two of these zones were curved. When you broke on the Rival, despite the curve, the car felt composed. As an example, Because of the curve, my instinct was to brake early to allow for space to gradually slow the car. I found I was able to go deeper in to the pedal sooner than I expected and ended up at my entry speed considerably before the apex each time. On the Hankook these zones were very nervous. It could be done but it was not as confidence inspiring or as repeatable. The Rival also stood up very well to the heat of back to back to back runs. While the Hankook really needed the heat to work, the Rival seemed very consistent run after run. Unfortunately, the Bimmers did not fair as well. The brakes did not tolerate left foot braking and overheated, so we did not get the final run on the Rival, but for the most part, it was not needed. The differences were clear, while the pace was just a slight edge for the Rival, the difference in the ease with which you could execute was meaningful. This is significant in an autocross setting in particular because the nature of the sport does not all for many do-overs. We all felt the Rival gave us the better chance to get it right the first time.

Our day ended with a little automotive dessert; 2 laps on the road course in a FR500s Mustang on both the Rival and the Falken Azenis 615. In the interest of full disclosure, I was nervous. I have little seat time on track and none of it in anything like this. We started on the Rival and by the exit of turn 1 I knew I would be fine. It was easy. Braking was predictable and stable. I could put the car exactly where I wanted it on entry and power delivery was easily managed and consistent. After two laps I pitted and I moved to the Azenis car. Just like on the Rival shod car I knew exactly what I had by the exit of turn one. I put the right wheels up on the curb, but unlike the Rival which held that fine, the Azenis instantly gave up and slid down the curb. My focus immediately came up; my grip tightened and felt my adrenaline start. I was really looking forward to the two laps on the Azenis. It is a tire I know well, and having just run my first laps ever at NOLA, I wanted to explore my newfound comfort with the track. Instead, the laps felt like work. I had to think about every input of steering, throttle and brakes. On the Rival, I was not casual, but I was able to relax and enjoy the experience, there were no nerves. The feeling on the Falken was similar to sitting on the start line as it starts to rain. Logically I knew the grip should be about the same but I never felt sure of what I was going to get..

Many questions remain about the tire. To fully answer them it will require real testing, on prepped cars. I suspect this is a tire that will result in significant set up changes to be optimized. Until that process has played out, we won’t know where exactly this tire fits into the pantheon of Street Touring or Road Tire tires. However, there are a few things we know. We know that this tire’s initial feel is consistent with a competition tire. There were several times where comments were made that it felt like a R-Compound, or was a “R-Comp for the street.” While I would agree with that concept on feel, we also know that this tire does not wear like a R-Compound, or even most UHP tires. Several of us looked at the tested tires at the end of the day and the Rivals looked great. In fact, they looked like a fresh set of scrubs, ready to go. The competitive tires looked chewed on, there was some feathering and there were definite differences in how the edges wore. We also know that BFGoodrich is making a commitment to the sport. They are stepping up their program as the official tire of SCCA and offering a product based contingency program for Solo.

The Rival is an impressive tire; make no mistake about it, but that is not the real story here. The real story is BFG is back. Two decades ago BFG was a king in the sport. The original R1 is still invoked in conversations about what a stock class tire should be. Now, when it is time to launch their latest and greatest, BFG turns to autocrossers not only to test their product, but also to be their brand ambassadors and tell their story. The marketing surrounding this tire, and all BFGoodrich products, is that BFG is your ticket to Playground Earth. The concept is that the right set of tires will let you play with your car anywhere you want regardless of whether that is on track, at an autocross, a spirited mountain drive or just your daily commute. This is similar to the foundation principle that the Street Touring and Road Tire Classes were founded. History has suggested this to be a false premise when ultimate timed performance is the measure, but it is my opinion that this tire shows the most potential to date of a one tire does all solution. While it may or may not be the absolute fastest tire on all cars in all conditions, it is that rare package of a tire that is fun to drive on, has long lasting wear characteristics and comes from a company that is dedicated to supporting our sport

question .... pour ma saison aider moi a choisir entre le toyo r888 ou le nitto nt-01 ,jai rouler avec le toyo mais pas le nitto et jai bien aimer le toyo sur le sec mais pas trop sur le mouiller. un set de toyo cest 950$ les nitto ? quel sont vos suggestion
en passant je course avec le vehicule pas de street du tout merci de vos commentaire

Back