Question for the train users

G-Bus

I'm starting a new position and unfortunately for me, it's downtown. I was thinking about taking the train to get there as it is the fastest way for me and I live nearby. How often has the train failed you? Is it often late?

Thanks

The train from Laval is different. Much more crowded at peak than the others but, the one I take (hudson-lucien l'allier) was fairly decent last year, this year though it's been an all other story. Here are some emails I got yesterday from the AMT. You can subscribe to email alerts for notices (late trains.)

Train de 17:20 à Lucien-L'Allier - Retard - Env. 09min - Congestion ferroviaire - Nous regrettons les inconvénients

Train de 17:20 à Lucien-L'Allier - Retard - Env. 13min - Problème de portes - Nous regrettons les inconvénients

ne_pas_repondre@amt.qc.ca
6:01 PM (13 hours ago)

to me
French
English Translate message
Turn off for: French
Train de 17:20 à Lucien-L'Allier - ANNULÉ – Problème de portes - Prochain départ 17:40

ne_pas_repondre@amt.qc.ca
6:46 PM (12 hours ago)

to me
French
English Translate message
Turn off for: French
Train de 17:20 à Lucien-L'Allier - Retard - Env. 1h00min - Problème de portes - Nous regrettons les inconvénients

As you can see, even their automated system blows monkey balls.

Your call. If I could avoid, I would. But 80% reliable train > everyday traffic + parking + gasoline

used to take the train for work/school downtown from the west-island. I wouldnt even think of driving on a daily basis. its just too much of a hassle. too expensive and i would go insane from the traffic.

I took the Laval one for a few years.

it's insanely crowded (often full after the first station in deux montagnes)
it's fairly on time with delays mostly in winter storms

there is often no parkiing or you have to park very far

I took the Laval one for a few years.

it's insanely crowded (often full after the first station in deux montagnes)
it's fairly on time with delays mostly in winter storms

there is often no parkiing or you have to park very far

this x2

parking IS A HUGE PROBLEM.....i use to take it 1 years ago, and if your not there before 6h45, you have to park in the guzzo and it take forever to walk in winter freeze......

but the train was very reliable during the time i take it (10 month)....and since new wagon should arrive in 1 years max it will resolve seating problem BUT THE FUCKING PARKING are the problem.....

a la limite je sais pas pk il font pas une navette guzzo/gare deux montagne avec chemin priorisé ou quelque chose du genre (idem a saint-do).....AMT ne comprend pas que le train c'est fait pour voiture DONC il faut plus de place!!!!

Sadly, public transport for Montreal, is a fail.

It just hasn't grown with the suburbs, it's been underfinanced forever and now, no amount of money can make it better. Only time.

I've been taking the blainville-lucien lallier train for 6 years
It is cheaper than driving in
Parking can be crowded when on student schedule but i take it at 5:25 am so no issues there for me
Getting to work in the morning is a bit longer than drivig in
Getting back home is faster than driving in
Missing your train sucks big time as there aren't many
Late trains or train stopping in the middle of nowhere happens a few time mostly in winter
Accidents on the highway creating massive traffic also happens

For me i am able to work from 6:30 to 15:30 so the system works

I'm on a 7 week streak of being delayed at least once per week, usually more, a couple times more than 1 hr. This is the Vaudreuil bound train though, as others have said the Laval one is way better though crowded.

Regardless of all this, still would never consider driving in.

Thanks a lot for the answers guys. If I'll take the train, I will mostly likely take it from either Bois-Franc or du Ruisseau stations. Its closer for me to drive there, park the car and hop on. Now I'll have two different schedules, some will be 9:30 to 6 or 1 to 9. I'd rather do the 1 to 9 so I can save myself traffic and all that but I'll run into problems with parkings then.

In either cases, I have to kinda deal with that because driving ins't an option. Not that it's not doable, but It's 2-3 times more expensive that the OPUS and it's in total 60 Kilometers everyday. It'll cost me an arm and a leg in gas, put aside wear and tear on the car.

Bois franc is jampacked already. I took the train from pierrefonds, and sometimes its hard to find a place.
On summer, I nerver had any problems in 3 years, and I had like 2/3 train faillure in winter time.

You'll have to wait for the 2 stages wagons, they are on inspection since one of them derailed.

For the parking I found a nice couple near the station, they allow me to park in their driveway.

I'm on a 7 week streak of being delayed at least once per week, usually more, a couple times more than 1 hr. This is the Vaudreuil bound train though, as others have said the Laval one is way better though crowded.

Regardless of all this, still would never consider driving in.

lol, chances are we take the same train. I was lucky yesterday as this week I'm driving in to replace another tech on a different shift that has no available train for me to take that early in the morning and yes, the morning drive in at that time < 7AM is ok, takes about 45 minutes (35 when no traffic) but last night was terrible. Left work at 15:45 and crossed the Galipeault at 17:40 even though I avoided the worst part of the 20W (Turcot) by taking Saint-Jacques.

There is road work on Saint Jacques too now. Part of it is closed near the new hospital, and then again as they are resurfacing the underpass with the curve a bit further down.

Montreal roads = fail

Montreal mass transit = fail

It's just better to find a job closer to home. Any IT openings in the West Island?

Bois franc is jampacked already. I took the train from pierrefonds, and sometimes its hard to find a place.
On summer, I nerver had any problems in 3 years, and I had like 2/3 train faillure in winter time.

You'll have to wait for the 2 stages wagons, they are on inspection since one of them derailed.

For the parking I found a nice couple near the station, they allow me to park in their driveway.

So 2 times out of 3 the train failed in winter? Damn... I have the option to take the metro but figured train was more reliable. Guess not...

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

I think he meant 2 or 3 times it failed, it really is a reliable line, probably more so than the metro.

Soon enough that line will have double height cars, but the engine that pulls them 'derailed'. Basically Bombardier built the engine over weight spec and caused it to flip a rail in the station it's first week into service...

So we can add:

Quebec built tech (not actually built in QC...): FAIL.

I drive. 20 min to reach concordia from beaconsfield, sometimes 30-35 (if going to dt campus,and traffic). I go through $45/week in gas going to school/work ( one job in ile perrot, other in pierrefonds), and parking is no biggie (streets around loyola campus twice a week, underground when i'm downtown 2x week, unless i park at loyola those days as well and take shuttle). I would take train, but service is sporadic on my line, if i work from 5, i cant wait around till 345 for a train when i finish class at 230. Thats my situation though, my dd is good on gas and comfy so traffic doesnt faze me. YMMV

Sent from our alien overlords using dubstep

if you need to go early in the morning it's alright.

After the train of 7H20 (in Ste-Thérèse for me) forget about the parking, it's impossible.
The train is very crowded yes, but it never or almost never fail, like the metro that break 19 times a week.
no hobos
no noise
no shaking everywere
awesome to sleep.

if you need to go early in the morning it's alright.

After the train of 7H20 (in Ste-Thérèse for me) forget about the parking, it's impossible.
The train is very crowded yes, but it never or almost never fail, like the metro that break 19 times a week.
no hobos
no noise
no shaking everywere
awesome to sleep.

Fair warning, if you're Asian and I spot you sleeping I WILL take your picture. I collect (and post on Twitter/Facebook) photos of Asians sleeping in the train.

My schedules will either be 9:30 AM to 6 PM or 1PM to 9:30 PM. I figure, if I leave home at like 8ish, drive till Bois-Franc and then take the train from there for like 8:30-8:45, I shall be more than okay, right?!

u might have trouble parking at Bois-franc at that time. What about going to the Mont-Royal train station? There's lots of residential streets around so parking might be easier but then again I don't know the parking laws in TMR either

u might have trouble parking at Bois-franc at that time. What about going to the Mont-Royal train station? There's lots of residential streets around so parking might be easier but then again I don't know the parking laws in TMR either

Theres also du Ruisseau which has a huge parking lot too... I havent checked Mont Royal. Ill see if i can get there from laval without too much traffic.

I'm happy my gf lives close to downtown, ill be at her place more often. Thanks for the help though!

Back