Bros, aware me your winter jackets

THREAD REVIVAL.

Je cherche a remplacer mon shell North Face que je porte normalement avec un layer en coreloft d'arc'teryx. J'aimais bien ce combo, mais le shell en goretex commence a se fatiguer et meme chose pour mon layer en coreloft qui a perdu pas mal d'efficacite.

Je cherche un manteau casual all-in one (a la place d'acheter un shell pis des layers separement). J'suis freakin perdu quand je regarde les sites de North Face ou d'Arc'teryx... je comprends pas ce qui est fait pour l'hiver et ce qui est plus hybride / 3-saisons.

Avez-vous des recommendations a me faire? j'suis frileux alors ca me prends qqch chaud et bien ajustable. Pas de budget precis en tete mais mon max serait surement dans les $600-700 tax in. En termes de style, j'aime bien ce que North Face fait, je cherche pas de manteau stylish (genre Canada Goose, Makage ou whatever) mais plutot technique et fonctionnel.

Ya rien qui bat mon coat de fourrure

6a9f8120c7a1369cdf51936f5d569677.jpg

I have had a North Face for 3 years. It should be time to change it but it still looks pretty good.
I like all North Face products when it gets cold, I think they make everything you may want or need for any weather.
I have a couple of fancy leather jackets and official looking coats for business or town outings, but when you want performance, North Face has never disspointed me.

I have had a North Face for 3 years. It should be time to change it but it still looks pretty good.
I like all North Face products when it gets cold, I think they make everything you may want or need for any weather.
I have a couple of fancy leather jackets and official looking coats for business or town outings, but when you want performance, North Face has never disspointed me.

which model do you have?

If you want technical gear without having to deal with layers and while being really warm you pretty much have to get a down jacket.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/m...aculator-parka-nf0a2tb7-en-ca?variationId=HDA

Rab has a decent selection

https://rab.equipment/ww/mens/insulation/

Patagonia and Mountain Hardwear don't really have anything that doesn't look like a parka or isn't meant to be layered.

higher end:
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.asp...ackets&subcat=Down_Fill&model=Cerium-SV-Hoody

You could always look into ski apparel companies (black diamond, salomon) but I've always found their quality lacking.

La Cordée had a clearance sale a few weeks back for all their technical gear from last winter, a lot of good shit for cheap (like 25-30% off arcteryx which is rare. 50% most other brands.) but I have enough technical gear as it is.

If you want technical gear without having to deal with layers and while being really warm you pretty much have to get a down jacket.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/m...aculator-parka-nf0a2tb7-en-ca?variationId=HDA

Rab has a decent selection

https://rab.equipment/ww/mens/insulation/

Patagonia and Mountain Hardwear don't really have anything that doesn't look like a parka or isn't meant to be layered.

higher end:
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.asp...ackets&subcat=Down_Fill&model=Cerium-SV-Hoody

You could always look into ski apparel companies (black diamond, salomon) but I've always found their quality lacking.

La Cordée had a clearance sale a few weeks back for all their technical gear from last winter, a lot of good shit for cheap (like 25-30% off arcteryx which is rare. 50% most other brands.) but I have enough technical gear as it is.

Thanks, good post.

The cerium is nice, but is it a really warm mid-layer or a winter coat? I have the atom lt under my current shell and it's great... I've had it for a while though, so it's not as warm as it used to be.

How's rab? i see more and more people wearing the brand, but is the quality good? their prices are usually lower than other known brands.

Thanks, good post.

The cerium is nice, but is it a really warm mid-layer or a winter coat? I have the atom lt under my current shell and it's great... I've had it for a while though, so it's not as warm as it used to be.

How's rab? i see more and more people wearing the brand, but is the quality good? their prices are usually lower than other known brands.

Considering I wear my Atom LT hoody up to like -5, I would expect the Cerium to be more than adequate if you're putzing around town, if not look into the Thorium line. Arcteryx's lineup is so fucking confusing at times.

I've heard good thing about Rab, don't own any of their products myself.

The outer fabric is not thick and strong enough to be a daily jacket. It's a light weight extreme temperature mid layer that can be uses a stand alone with dwr and all that stuff on cold & dry days hiking/snowshoeing/.. I have the cerium lt, it's not as warm but it's so much smaller in pocket mode.
For everyday you want something heavier and arcteryx isn't the brand to look for, they are simply way too expensive and that's coming from a fanboy.

I trust Oakley gore-tex for technical and have a thinsulate for daily winter. I thought okley was overpriced until I heard about acteriyx lol

So I guess i'm looking at getting either:

1) Arc'teryx Beta AR shell + Arc'teryx Cerium LT hoody (the SV is nice, but it brings me wayyyyyyyyyy above my budget)

OR

2) Arc'teryx Fission SV

I went to the northface flagship and some fuck cunt with alcohol breath was very not helpful in trying to help me figure out an equivalent. But I guess I looked at their Summit series down layer which felt great and cheaper than a Cerium. I didn't see any nice shells though.

almostock, what do you think of the first combination? is it going to be warm on very cold days?

The outer fabric is not thick and strong enough to be a daily jacket. It's a light weight extreme temperature mid layer that can be uses a stand alone with dwr and all that stuff on cold & dry days hiking/snowshoeing/.. I have the cerium lt, it's not as warm but it's so much smaller in pocket mode.
For everyday you want something heavier and arcteryx isn't the brand to look for, they are simply way too expensive and that's coming from a fanboy.

Although I pretty much agree with everything you've said so far, I found the Atom Lt hoody to be a good daily except for -40 days then I'd go for the Kappa or put a nice 2L ou 3L goretex shell over it.

Down jackets are too warm for car drives or stuff like that. I found primaloft (Arcteryx's own coreloft) offers a nice mix of insulation and breathability. Thats why I pretty much always wear my atom lt or something similar like my Mammut Marangun.

Last edited:
Although I pretty much agree with everything you've sais so far, I found the Atom Lt hoody to be a good daily except for -40 days then I'd go for the Kappa or put a nice 2L ou 3L goretex shell over it.

I wear my atom LT hoody under a pretty light gore tex shell and I'm fine until -10-15ish, at which point I'll add another fleece layer which is okay until like -20ish. Looking back, I think my purchase of the atom LT was one of my best purchases EVER.

I wear my atom LT hoody under a pretty light gore tex shell and I'm fine until -10-15ish, at which point I'll add another fleece layer which is okay until like -20ish. Looking back, I think my purchase of the atom LT was one of my best purchases EVER.

Yup. I love them. In fact, I bought a second one last year because I found my first one was lacking a bit insulation in the back from taking lot of abuse but its still my go to coat.

Back