Tire Storage Over the Winter

Don't stress about the temperature.

The reason for that is because the colder it is, the harder the tire is, and with the really stiff sidewall, it makes it easier for someone to rip the tire when they are putting it on or off.

Runflat tires for example... during the winter -- you would never be able to mount the tire, especially when you pull them from the guy's trunk at -10.

We made a tire warmer box... Would toss the tires into this box, and turn on the heat, and go until about 30 degrees C. After that the sidewall got nice and soft and viola! Tires go on like butter.

Of interest perhaps to anyone with Nitto NT01 or similar tires as the cold weather approaches.

http://www.nittotire.com/Content/pd...orage of Certain Tires in Colder Climates.pdf

I knew about the storage temperature, but didn't know they had to be at 20'C for 24-hours before mounting or dismounting.

Theoretically tires should also never be stacked one on top of each other.
You can use the criss-cross method if you have many and have some kind of enclosure, if not, one next to the other... To preserve the sidewall apparently.

Where did you hear that? Is that with the tires mounted or unmounted?

If the tires are mounted on wheels with pressure inside, it seems that the inflation pressure would put MUCH more load on the carcass/sidewall than the weight of a few tires/wheels stacked on top. I've always stored mine in stacks...

Where did you hear that? Is that with the tires mounted or unmounted?

If the tires are mounted on wheels with pressure inside, it seems that the inflation pressure would put MUCH more load on the carcass/sidewall than the weight of a few tires/wheels stacked on top. I've always stored mine in stacks...

Good point. Forgot to say that it was for tires not mounted on wheels.

Back