So who installed Windows 8 ?

rafal

Thinking of installing it on one of my computers. From what I heard you need to buy the software for each computer separately. Also some people are having problems with the install. From what I read on the HP website for example computers sold before October 11th 2011 are not guaranteed to be compatible with windows 8 and they do not recommend the update.

Has anyone tried it ?

Windows 8 c'est horrible.
Touche pas à ça.
Le base est excellente mais le UI c'est de la pure merde.

Même s'il est facile d'apprendre à se servir de Windows 8, le bouton «Démarrer» manque cruellement.

Plusieurs programmes comme Vistart permettent de l'ajouter et de retrouver la facilité d'utilisation d'un Windows.

Rendez-vous à la page de Vistart et cliquez sur «Télécharger», il suffit ensuite d'exécuter le programme pour installer le fameux bouton «Démarrer».

3rjf93.jpg

that's what the desktop looks like in 8? LMAO no fkin way! Remember when in the movie Idiocracy the main character goes to see the doctor, the nurse got a switchboard that looks like Win8 lol big pictures on the buttons. We're getting there!

that's what the desktop looks like in 8? LMAO no fkin way! Remember when in the movie Idiocracy the main character goes to see the doctor, the nurse got a switchboard that looks like Win8 lol big pictures on the buttons. We're getting there!

hahahahaha

Winjdows 8 tout fonctionne en laissant la souris et/ou faisant un right-click dans les ~3-4 derniers pixels sur le bord ou dans le coin de l'écran...
En PC virtuel, remote desktop, ou encore sur un dual screen setup, c'est extremement difficile de pogner ces quelques pixels.
Un bouton démarrer fonctionnait à merveille sur win95~win7
Dans windows 3.1 on pouvait aligner 2-3 programmes sur l'écran, en redimentionnant les fenêtres en conséquences. Win8 = fullscreen forcé pour les applications de style metro.

Y'a 2 control pannels, 2 IE10 browsers, etc.
Les 2 interfaces ne se fondent pas bien ensemble.
Les applications METRO n'apparaissent pas sur aucun taskbar, tandisque les applications classiques oui.
C'est très difficile de gérer le multitasking.
J'ai downloadé juste google Maps en Metro Apps... Pas moyen de faire une recherche sur la carte. Pas intuitif pantoute.
Essayez pour voir de créer un nouveau courriel et d'y attacher un fichier... Pas moyen de faire de drag&drop à partir du bureau.
De plus seul le dossier "Documents" et "Desktop" sont disponibles quand on fait Browse pour un fichier attaché. Si je veux attacher par exemple un fichier comme la calculatrice (calc.exe) à un courriel, je dois premièrement copier celui-ci dans le dossier documents avant que l'application MAIL / Browse for attachment puisse le pogner...

Win8 = Un système de BS pour les débutants qui prennent leur ordi pour une tablette.
Le UI doit être impérativement modifié pour accomoder les "desktop users"
Aussi le fait de "cacher" toutes les options avancées pour épurer le système au maximum, ça ne me plait pas dutout.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251282/windows_8s_metro_ui_7_things_you_may_just_hate.html

There's a wide gap between Metro and the regular desktop.

With a Windows 8 PC, you can either be in the Windows Phone 7-style Metro interface or on a desktop that closely resembles the traditional Windows 7 desktop. But these interfaces don't just offer two different ways to look at the same thing. They act more like two separate operating systems working side-by-side, with separate apps, different settings, and very different rules of operation.

It's hard to stay in Metro.

It may not be obvious from my complaining, but I like the Metro interface, which is why I'm frustrated that getting knocked out of it--especially on a dual-monitor system--is so easy.

Typically, if you have two monitors, your primary monitor will use the Metro interface and the other will use the traditional desktop (unless you mirror the primary desktop on the secondary, but what's the point of that?). Click in a window on the non-Metro display, and your other screen automatically switches from Metro to traditional desktop. If you're on the Metro start page and you choose the wrong option, such as a shortcut to a non-Metro-ized application, you get bumped out of Metro.

Metro shortcuts are tricky and annoying.

To open the Metro start page, for instance, you drag your pointer to the lower left corner of your screen. A thumbnail image of the start page pops out. My instinct, honed by thousands of Flash interfaces on the Web, is to move my pointer into the popup and click. But in Windows 8, If you do that, you actually click whatever icon beneath the popup window your pointer happens to be resting on. In Windows 8, you have to keep your pointer off screen while you click. This change is easy to learn intellectually, but harder to make instinctual, given the years of conditioning we've had to do the opposite.

As I mentioned earlier, IE in the Metro interface often shows no address bar or other buttons, including tabs for other Web pages that the user already has open. I tried everything I could think of to get them to appear--moving my pointer off the top and bottom of the screen, trying to "grab" the bars with my mouse while it was off-screen--but nothing worked. Finally, my colleague (and Metro enthusiast) Nate Ralph told me that I had to right-click an empty area on the Web page to gain access to the controls. Without his timely intervention, I might have thrown something through my monitor.

All Metro apps display at full-screen size and can't be moved from one screen to another.

The look is striking and gives the applications lots of breathing space. But sometimes you need to see two programs at the same time, to compare information or to move data from one application to another. You can grab the top of an application and move it so that it sits in a vertical panel on the side of your screen, but that orientation isn't useful for most programs.

Windows 8 menus are contextual.

If you click the Settings icon while you're in the Metro start page, you get settings specifically for the start page. You can click a link below for 'PC Settings', but those settings don't include everything you're used to having access to in the Windows Control Panel. To obtain a link to the Control Panel, you must click the Settings icon while you're in the traditional desktop.

Perhaps this is something users will become accustomed to; after all, it is how many mobile apps work? But I think users expect more consistency from their desktop OS.

I bought a macbook pro for freelance work.
I might just upgrade my workstation to an iMac seeing that windows 8 looks a complete failure. I really anticipated Win7 and loved it from day 1 when I bought my hardware, which is still performant today.
But I jus't dont see the point of that new interface and all the shit surrounding it.

Stick with 7, no gun to your head to upgrade to 8. I just switched from XP to 7 this summer because till now XP was enough for my daily use.

Microsoft has been going downhill ever since Gates left. Ballmer is great at having a super high GPA from Harvard MBA, not being very funny, yelling hard, being otherwise intelligent, and trying hard to look like a clown, but as far as leading Microsoft goes he's horrible.

Now that both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates arent running the show anymore, i think the future is grim for Microsoft, and to a lesser degree, apple. (because zombie fanboys will buy anything that has an apple sticker on it anyway and are far easier to please than intelligent people who buy PC's)

Microsoft has been going downhill ever since Gates left. Ballmer is great at having a super high GPA from Harvard MBA, not being very funny, yelling hard, being otherwise intelligent, and trying hard to look like a clown, but as far as leading Microsoft goes he's horrible.

Now that both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates arent running the show anymore, i think the future is grim for Microsoft, and to a lesser degree, apple. (because zombie fanboys will buy anything that has an apple sticker on it anyway and are far easier to please than intelligent people who buy PC's)

*I work at MS

Windows 7 was a huge success under Ballmer with over 600M copies sold. How is he leading MS "horribly" exactly? With a dozen businesses raking in 1B$+ annually, I think people have a tendency to discount the breadth of his impact.

I'm using Win8 on my PC and I also got a Surface on Friday. Loving the experience so far and I encourage people to give it a try! Look into the tons of improvements to the OS in general that may benefit you, and don't believe misconceptions like "there is no desktop" ;) Here's a fun article that compares the early sentiments on Windows 8 with Windows XP, which are strikingly similar, yet we know today how it turned out for XP ... !

*I work at MS

Windows 7 was a huge success under Ballmer with over 600M copies sold. How is he leading MS "horribly" exactly? With a dozen businesses raking in 1B$+ annually, I think people have a tendency to discount the breadth of his impact.

I'm using Win8 on my PC and I also got a Surface on Friday. Loving the experience so far and I encourage people to give it a try! Look into the tons of improvements to the OS in general that may benefit you, and don't believe misconceptions like "there is no desktop" ;) Here's a fun article that compares the early sentiments on Windows 8 with Windows XP, which are strikingly similar, yet we know today how it turned out for XP ... !

LoL, thats funny, for a guy who works at Microsoft you should know better. As if "Ballmer should be credited for the huge success of Win7". Win 7 is in fact an extension of Vista. its exactly the same OS, its just that Win 7 is fine tuned, and Vista is not. Win7 is seen as a service pack of Vista. The interface and the psychology behind the two OS are almost identical. Now, development of Vista/Win7 started in 2001, well before Gates stepped down from full time work at MS in 2006. He had the time to be working on it for 5 years full time. And he stopped working completely at microsoft in 2008 when win7 was approaching release.

If you look at Windows 8, it started to be developed in 2009, one year after Gates left for good. Win8 is the first OS that is produced without Gates' direct involvement. Bill Gates isn't helping Ballmer to ride his bike anymore. Right now Ballmer is saying: "Look mommy, no hands!"

I have not tried win8 yet but from early critics here and everywhere else, it looks like its gonna fail hardcore.

and thats not surprising because William Henry Gates III is an unattractive glasses wearing geek, but is also a genius. Steve Ballmer is a highly intelligent and highly unattractive balding old man yet he is not a genius, and especially not a genius in the sense of being able to lead Microsoft to the same standards that we had under Gates.

i still hope Win8 somehow becomes a success because i dont wanna be forced to use apple desktops. But right now, i think with win7 we're good to go for many many years without the need for upgrading.

Back