Detailing Article: Pressure Washers 101, FoamCannons and Foam Guns

JoeyV

This article will be written in French later on

Based on a recent thread, I've decided to write this article to help others out when it comes to choosing a pressure washer, foam gun and/or foam gun. So let's start with the basics.

Pressure Washers 101

Pressure washers can be a very extensive subject, so I'm going to just stick with the basics for now. As most already know, there are 2 types of pressure washers, gas powered and electric powered. Both have their advantages and flaws as well as general purposes.

Gas Powered

Gas powered pressure washers are, as their name states, powered by an internal combustion engine. This means that they need to be maintained in the correct manner. Oil needs to be checked, the proper gas needs to be used (you can have 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines). Generally, these pressure washers tend to yield higher pressure and GPM (Gallons Per Minute) levels. The average gas powered pressure washer has upwards of 2000 psi and can sometimes even go as high as 4500 psi. The major advantages to this type of pressure washer are the higher available pressures (if needed in you field - not the case with detailing and car care) and the portability. You never get caught without a power source with a gas powered unit.

Electric Powered

Electric powered pressure washers on the other hand need a an electric power source. For the car care field of work, we generally have access to this since we also use the electric source for other machines and tools such as polishers. Electric pressure washers tend to have lower pressures and GPM levels, generally ranging from 1000 psi to 2500 psi, which is plenty for your car care needs. Major advantages of the electric units over their gas-powered counter parts is virtually no maintenance, lower cost and being much quieter. Most units these days are water cooled, meaning that the simple fact of being connected to a water source is enough to cool the machine and keep it safe. It is imperative however to properly prime the machine before turning it on, to have it last as long as possible.

Which is right for me?

To each their own. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to pressure washers when choosing either gas or electric-powered. If the machine is going to be used solely to clean your personal vehicle and possibly do light duty around the house, an electric unit might be a better choice for you since the cost will be a little lower and it will be essentially maintenance free.

An amateur or "resident" detailer might want to look into electric machines as well, since he may not be doing much mobile work and will also prefer the low-maintenance.

A high volume and mobile detailer, on the other hand, might find a gas powered unit more suiting his work.

How to understand and choose my machine?

For the sake of simplicity, I am going to go forward talking about electric pressure washers as it is most likely to be what people here are going to be looking at, since this is a car care section after all.

Choosing a pressure washer is another thing that can be tricky as I have personally experienced. Gauging how much work you are going to be doing with the machine before hand is very important. The first machine I bought was not made for the level of work I was doing and the motor gave out in less than a year. That was the cost of buying a unit that was less than $100. For personal use and vehicle cleaning, it would have been fine, but that was not the case. So, if you plan on doing more than 1-2 washes per week with your unit, look into buying something a little more robust.

The next thing to look for is the PSI and GPM levels. For washing cars, a high PSI is not necessary. Anything above 1000 will do just fine. After all, it's simply to move water and dirt. However, if you choose to go into higher pressures, be careful about getting too close to the paint. GPM (Gallons Per Minute) are more important than PSI. A low GPM will not be pushing much water at the designated pressure and by default will have less "dirt-busting power." On the other hand, a machine with a lower GPM rating will produce a thicker foam with a foam cannon.

Finally, construction of the unit is important. Make sure to choose a model that will be solid enough for your needs. If you intend to use it around the home a lot, possibly look at a model with wheels. If you think you might be prone to yanking it and knocking it over, get a model with 4 legs and a solid frame. Make sure to check the quality of the materials as well. Check out the gun to see if it feels sturdy or if it will crack when dropped. Check to make sure the hose is rugged enough and won't brake if you drop something on it or kink it. Overall, choose a model you think will last and endure YOUR abuse.

Foam Cannons a.k.a. Foam Lances

Foam cannons are a great tool to help wash a vehicle. The idea behind them is to submerge the vehicle in a thick foam to help lift dirt even before touching the car. After having been given a pre-rinse with a pressure washer, many professional detailers will give the car a foam bath and let it dwell for a few minutes, rinse it off and then foam the car again to wash it. The principle is simple, every time a foam bubble explodes, it creates a tiny explosion that move and lifts dirt off the surface of the car.

There are currently a few models of foam cannons on the market. The most common ones are the MTM Hydro, Cam-Spray and AutoGlos. There are also other options that are available that work well, but not quite up to par with a true foam cannon. The first option is a foaming attachment or compartment built into the pressure washer itself. However, the one that is the best bang for the buck compromise, is the Homelite G-Clean Detergent Foamer available at Home Depot.

MTM Hydro
$(KGrHqZ,!h!E9onJjYqiBPqi0bvOo!~~60_35.JPG

Foams like this:
7066736227_8a4e09f51d_b.jpg

AutoGlos
[image coming soon]

Foams like this:
7066740365_ab5b572e49_b.jpg

CamSpray
CAM1243_m.jpg

Foams like this:
img1956rp4.jpg

Homelite G-Clean Detergent Foamer
AGPWF04_1v1_Final_4.jpg

Foams like this:
0.jpg

Now, having seen this, you probably want to jump to the conclusion that the AutoGlos is the best one, but hold on just a second! Remember how I said that PSI and GPM were important? This is where they come into play. Unless one person has all 3, and test all 3 with the same soap and dilution ratio on the same pressure washer, there is no guaranty on which is best because PSI and GPM have a big role in the equation. Here's a bit of proof. I have the AutoGeek foam cannon, which is a rebranded unit (waiting on confirmation of which it is, MTM Hydro or AutoGlos) and this is the foam I was able to produce with my machine (1700 PSI and 1.3 GPM):

532850_367115856678257_277988201_n.jpg

Keep in mind there is a 4th, final factor in foam thickness: The soap mixture...but that's another subject.

All foam cannons need to have a threaded attachment to connect them to your pressure washer. There are many different ones, so be sure to pick the one that matches your pressure washer. Here are the most common ones that you will find.

Choice available from AutoGeek
HP-attachments.jpg

Quick Connect
41W8cwLsSeL._SL500_.jpg

Foam Guns

Foam guns are the little brother to the foam cannon and work directly with hoses rather than with pressure washers. They work in the same principle of throwing foam on the car, but seeing as there is essentially no air flow through that unit, you get a soapy water on the car rather than all-out foam. These also have their pros and cons. The pros are that they cost less than foam cannons and you don't need to have a pressure washer for their use. The cons are that the foam is not as thick and by default not as efficient (efficiency eplained earlier). There are a few models available to the market, but the most common are the Griot's Garage and the Gilmour Foam Master (Many rebrands of this one). There are also a few other DIY options which I'll mention later.

Griot's Garage
Griots-Garage-Foaming-Sprayer-1.jpg

Foams like this:
IMG_2614.JPG

Gilmour Foamaster
Gilmour%20Gun.jpg

Foams like this:
DPS-X-4.jpg

Now, I mentioned that there were a few DIY options out there. Here are some of them.

Windex Outdoor Window Cleaner
245308_front200.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ti-Surface+Concentrated+Cleaner.jsp?locale=en

This is a window cleaning solution in a bottle that attaches to a hose and allows to shoot cleaning solution up to 25 feet. Simply replace the solution inside, with a mixture of car soap and water. The bottle has 3 settings which allows you to choose from "Off" to "Rinse" which let only water pass through, or "Wash" which, as you've guessed, allows the solution to go through. Now, this option costs a measly $10, but shoots only in a stream, not a fan spray. I have personally tested this one and I recommend it only as a back up solution should you not be able to find anything else.

EcoSense Dial-N-Spray
49270982.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...~0598839P/EcoSense+Dial-N-Spray.jsp?locale=en

This dispenser follows the same principle as the Windex Outdoor Window Cleaner, but spreads in a wider fashion. Its cost is $15. I just picked one up and tried it myself. It works great, but make sure to use concentrated soap in the container. DO NOT DILUTE IT. Best setting is "50" for foam, which is right next to "OFF" for rinse through. truly worth the $15.

Manual Pressure Sprayer
0593837_1

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...593837P/Manual+Pressure+Sprayer.jsp?locale=en

This is a manual variant. I'm sure most of you have seen this before, but just in case, this is a pasteurized bottle that you pump and then pull the trigger to release what's inside. A mixture of car soap and water will come out in a relatively sudsy foam. It's cost is $10. I have used these in the past, but they are best designed for wheel cleaner and APC/degreaser applications. Thicker foam will not be achieved with these.

That's it! Hopefully, this will answer some questions and provide answers, solutions and options to those seeking to take washing their car a step further.

Cheers, and Happy Detailing!

Last edited:
A little update has been added. I just purchased and tired the Scott's Dial-N-Spray and it works great.

un foam lance serait-il assez pour juste nettoyer des camions de construction (cubes, pickups) ? surtout pour les cubes, étant donné que c'est l'enfer laver ca a cause de la hauteur...!

un foam lance serait-il assez pour juste nettoyer des camions de construction (cubes, pickups) ? surtout pour les cubes, étant donné que c'est l'enfer laver ca a cause de la hauteur...!

Non, j'ai eu la même question récemment pour une compagnie de VR. Ça va aider, ça va être mieux que rien, mais ça remplacera jamais un lavage! Le processus de la mousse est vraiment un PRE-WASH step, il est donc pas nécessaire, mais toujours le fun à faire et diminue les chances de scratches. Donc win-win.

BTW, great job Joey, très bon résumé des diverses options possibles. Je m'aurai limité au foam gun et cannon si j'avais écrit un article sur ça.

Trop compliqué d'avoir une réponse de auto esthetica j'ai acheter un mtm pour 60 $
Pour pas poluer le thread à joey mais en référence à ceci mtm vend direct sur Amazon @ 59.99 free shipping au usa.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

J'ai acheté le G-Clean Detergent Foamer hier, c'est pas super, mais satisfaisant pour le 20$... L'utiliser comme pre-wash pour enlever un peu le dirt superficiel diminuera le risque de scratching au washing I guess. Mon mix detergent était mal fait au premier essai... pas assez de suds je vais essayer le GoldClass de Meguiars maybe 4oz and the rest filled with water...

J'ai acheté le G-Clean Detergent Foamer hier, c'est pas super, mais satisfaisant pour le 20$... L'utiliser comme pre-wash pour enlever un peu le dirt superficiel diminuera le risque de scratching au washing I guess. Mon mix detergent était mal fait au premier essai... pas assez de suds je vais essayer le GoldClass de Meguiars maybe 4oz and the rest filled with water...

En partant, le savon que tu utilise n'est pas super pour faire de la mousse. Et ce, peut importe le ratio que tu va utiliser. La raison est que ces savon ne sont pas formulé pour faire de la mousse, mais bien pour simplement lav er la voiture et etre "slick" Si tu veut faire de la grosse mousse, essaie avec du Dawn/Sunlight (si tu va cirer la voiture) ou bien avec du Extreme Foam Formula de Detailers Pride.

J'ai un vrai foam cannon et meme avec ca, le Gold Class, le AutoGlym Body Work Shampoo et meme le Zymol ne font psa de la grosse mousse.

J'ai regardé les specifications des differents foam lance:

Le mtm hydro, fait en italie, certains vont dire qu'ils rend la mousse moins aggrippante et dense que le autogloss
C'est vrai si vous avez une machine a pression electrique avec un petit débit.
Si on va voir les spécifications on se rend compte que le max psi est de 5000 mais plus important encore le minimum de GPM recommandé est de 2GPM. Donc parfait pour ceux qui ont une machine a pression a essence. Il devrait performer presque autant que le (autogloss...... ou celui de autogeek)

Le Autogloss et le Autogeek foam cannon hp est identique et made in china

http://www.mjjcspraygun.com/Pages/Kranzle_M22_Snow_Foam_Lance.aspx

Si vous regardez dans le bas de la page ils montrent le foam cannon qui sort de la boite il est identique au autogloss et foam cannon hp... c'est même marqué dans la page: Features of this snow foam lance (foam cannon HP):

Ils ne donnent pas le minimum de GPM mais en voyant le maximum psi (2,600) le minimum de GPM doit etre aux alentours de 1GPM donc parfait pour les machines pressions electrique.

J'ai regardé les specifications des differents foam lance:

Le mtm hydro, fait en italie, certains vont dire qu'ils rend la mousse moins aggrippante et dense que le autogloss
C'est vrai si vous avez une machine a pression electrique avec un petit débit.
Si on va voir les spécifications on se rend compte que le max psi est de 5000 mais plus important encore le minimum de GPM recommandé est de 2GPM. Donc parfait pour ceux qui ont une machine a pression a essence. Il devrait performer presque autant que le (autogloss...... ou celui de autogeek)

Le Autogloss et le Autogeek foam cannon hp est identique et made in china

http://www.mjjcspraygun.com/Pages/Kranzle_M22_Snow_Foam_Lance.aspx

Si vous regardez dans le bas de la page ils montrent le foam cannon qui sort de la boite il est identique au autogloss et foam cannon hp... c'est même marqué dans la page: Features of this snow foam lance (foam cannon HP):

Ils ne donnent pas le minimum de GPM mais en voyant le maximum psi (2,600) le minimum de GPM doit etre aux alentours de 1GPM donc parfait pour les machines pressions electrique.

C'etais aussi dans mes recherche et mes soupcons, mais comme Mike de AutoEasthetica ne m'a jamais repondu, j'ai pas mit ces infos au grand publique, car je n'ai pas pu confirmer le tout avec lui.

Je viens de commander celui ci aussi... JoeyV si tu veux quand je recevrai les deux on peut les comparer

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Jai les deux foam lance MTM et celui du link en chine... jai pas encore recu mon power wash si qqn veux faire des tests laissez moi savoir

Tread revival !

Bon j'ai l'intention de m'acheté un foam gun (j'ai pas de machine a pression et ces pas prévu pour l'instant)

Ma blonde vien de s'acheté une nouvelle voiture alors elle veut la gardé propre évidement et elle est blanche alors toujours sale. Je veut une solution cheap.

J'ai regardé sur autogeek le foam gun a 60$ il semblais bien. Après j'ai vu ici celui de produit de jardin a 15$ il semble un bon compromis cheap.

J'ai vu celui la chez canadian tires. Tu en pense quoi ?? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...98540P/Pistolet+Wash-N-Rinse.jsp?locale=fr_CA

Sinon coté savon ques qui est bien locale ?? Je veut pas mettre de sunlight etc je cire pas la voiture a chaque fois. Je pensais acheté le gold class.

Des hint ??

Merci

Je n'ai pas essayer le pistolet Wash n' Rinse encore, donc je ne peut me prononcer dessus. Pour ce qui est des savon, y'a quelque options qui soffrent a toi. Canadian Tire en tien 2 bon, le Meguiar's Gold Class ou bien le AutoGlym Bodywork Shampoo. Si tu tien a acheter du chez Canadian Tire, en mon opinion, AutoGlym>Meguiar's.

Par contre, y'a un autre option qui s'offre a toi. Depuis le debut du mois d'Aout, j'ai uvert un magasin de produit de detailing professionel et j'ai en stock plusieur savon, tel que le Sonax Extreme 2-in-1, Le Zymol Auto Wash (Mon favoris de tout les savon que j'ai essayer de ma vie), Chemical Guys Maxi suds II et Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Tous de bon savon. Alors, c'est pas le choix qui te manque. Suffit de decider le quel tu veut.

prix par pm ??

Ces sur que je cherche solution économique aussi. Pas trop cher. Le gold class ou le auto glym coté prix sa va mais je payerai pas 50$ pour du savon (exemple je sais pas combien sa peut couté :p)

Pour lequel je veut je doit dire que je connais pas les savons alors dure de décidé lequel. le prix va décidé (déja ma blonde capote pour 20$ a trouve sa cher pour du savon... elle va comprendre une fois son auto lavé par contre)

Merci

Back