Airplane Thread

Cheaper maybe, but having to land to fill make for much poorer fire fighting capabilities not to mention putting a shitload of stress on an airframe not designed for it.

Very, very poor choice on the customer part.

The biggest problem of the CL215/415 was in being canadian... therefore considered inferior by our southern neighbours. Sad, really. They are the ones hurting the most from forest fires which are getting a bigger and bigger problem in the West coast.

But hey,since when are the yanks long term planners?

Also, about the Beaver... They go to extraordinary lenghts to refurbish old one and convert them to turbo power... That can't be all nostalgia, right? Somewhere, somehow BBD must have the complete blueprint set, why not do a Carroll Shelby and launch a Beaver "continuation" series?

Not that simple I know, but it seems to me that there could be a market for rugged bush planes like that.

DeHavilland don't have the rights anymore. They sold all out of production rights to Viking air. Viking air owns all the jigs, drawings, tech specs now. There was a rumour they wanted to start making the Beaver again.

As for the 415, the euro's LOVE them. Yanks are gealous hence why they don't buy them. Remember Avro Arrow?

Pourquoi? Pas assez de commandes? Ils en vendent combien par année et dans quels pays? C'est construit au canada? J'ai tu posé assez de question?

Ils ont 2 white tails (avions pas vendu) à North bay ou l'assemblage final est fait. Tout été fabriqué sur Douglas B Floriani dans le west island. Ensuite le fuselage et aile transporté par camion à North bay. Ils en sortaient 2 par année.

C'est triste car c'est un avion avec beaucoup de potentiel.

So, guess who got flown out to seattle last week for an interview, inside the Boeing facilities, and got to see all the cool stuff, planes being built, and the new gigantic hangars for the 777x being built :D. Wish i could say\show more, but had to sign a super intense NDA.

Also got to watch some wings being stress tested live, it was freaking awesome!!!!

Might be leaving this damn province once and for all if it all goes good!

Last edited:
Cheaper maybe, but having to land to fill make for much poorer fire fighting capabilities not to mention putting a shitload of stress on an airframe not designed for it.

Very, very poor choice on the customer part.

The biggest problem of the CL215/415 was in being canadian... therefore considered inferior by our southern neighbours. Sad, really. They are the ones hurting the most from forest fires which are getting a bigger and bigger problem in the West coast.

But hey,since when are the yanks long term planners?

Also, about the Beaver... They go to extraordinary lenghts to refurbish old one and convert them to turbo power... That can't be all nostalgia, right? Somewhere, somehow BBD must have the complete blueprint set, why not do a Carroll Shelby and launch a Beaver "continuation" series?

Not that simple I know, but it seems to me that there could be a market for rugged bush planes like that.

Not everywhere has massive bodies of water to operate from so what does it change being land based? The FAA and US Forestry Service keeps changing the regulations, requirements and such for aerial tankers. They started clamping down after the C-130 lost its wings...

This USA being jealous and wont buy is non sense bullshit, US airlines buy a crap ton of Canadian aircraft.

So, guess who got flown out to seattle last week for an interview, inside the Boeing facilities, and got to see all the cool stuff, planes being built, and the new gigantic hangars for the 777x being built :D. Wish i could say\show more, but had to sign a super intense NDA.

Also got to watch some wings being stress tested live, it was freaking awesome!!!!

C-Series wings passed the 175% mark and they did NOT break! ;) 150% is the requirement.

Years ago when I was with my ex, her father was a project manager. He showed me pictures of main landing gears from the a380 being stress tested. That was impressive and it was only pictures. I can't imagine seeing it right in front of me.

I remember visiting the Everett plant. You only start to grasp the size of the place once you go inside and realise there are 4-5 747s on the line, 777s and 787. Renton and BFI are cool as well.

I remember visiting the Everett plant. You only start to grasp the size of the place once you go inside and realise there are 4-5 747s on the line, 777s and 787. Renton and BFI are cool as well.

Its so big, they have their own traffic lights...... think about that for a second, so many vehicles moving in and out that they need lights on their own property :D. If all goes well i'll be working on the newer generation Boeings.

PS: was taken out to fancy shmansy restaurants for lunch and dinner, never had such amazing sirloin steaks... i know, its a crime not to have seafood there, i just dont dig it :p.

Its so big, they have their own traffic lights...... think about that for a second, so many vehicles moving in and out that they need lights on their own property :D. If all goes well i'll be working on the newer generation Boeings.

PS: was taken out to fancy shmansy restaurants for lunch and dinner, never had such amazing sirloin steaks... i know, its a crime not to have seafood there, i just dont dig it :p.

The parking closer to the doors are for those who have been with the company for ages or have a disability

298_zps3cf1541a.jpg

288_zps0239eea3.jpg

The Renton people hit up Applebees on Thursday nights.. Damn airline people and drinking.

Did you know that if you place all the tolerances to the low side and all to the high side there is a 3 foot difference in length on a 747! Also, on a 747 it is normal to have a 1 foot difference on the assy line! ;)

Did you know that if you place all the tolerances to the low side and all to the high side there is a 3 foot difference in length on a 747! Also, on a 747 it is normal to have a 1 foot difference on the assy line! ;)

There are also 4 million rivets on the 747.

Back