Airplane Thread

Aside from the annoying clickbait title, this is an interesting look at the advantages of blended bodies over conventional configurations for airliners.

Blended body is not a new idea and has been tossed around for 30+ years . The major problem is current airports aren't designed to handle them even 777X needed a small folding wing. The other issue is entry and exit. The airport problem is oddly enough the biggest cost as well airports costs a fortune. I feel bad for airports that dumped cash on A380 handling...

The future of aviation will be electric aircraft for very short haul 15-30 passenger. With some sorta Hybrid setup or alternative fuel for long haul.

Blended body is not a new idea and has been tossed around for 30+ years . The major problem is current airports aren't designed to handle them even 777X needed a small folding wing. The other issue is entry and exit. The airport problem is oddly enough the biggest cost as well airports costs a fortune. I feel bad for airports that dumped cash on A380 handling...

The future of aviation will be electric aircraft for very short haul 15-30 passenger. With some sorta Hybrid setup or alternative fuel for long haul.

You're not far off ;).

The industry is in a transitional period that the general public wont know about until 5-10 years from now, short haul flights will hold more people, regardless of propulsion type, simple economics and airline profitability demands this, even if the cabin space remains the same as a 737 for example, you are guaranteed they will shoehorn in more people, its the constant demand from airlines. It goes as far as simulation egress\ingress down to inches, which one will allow more passengers in and out a minute quicker, restock a minute faster, be in the air a minute sooner, literally minutes for airlines count in the end of the day. Its a whole science on its own... and for short haul flights, human comfort goes out the window for most carriers, unless its a more prestigious airline.

As far as blended body, the amount of room it takes compared to useable interior space cannot compete with the current design philosophy of existing aircraft, not to mention that the shape of existing aircraft naturally creates an aerodynamic balance in direction, some of this is lost when you go to a blended body configuration, allowing more natural aerodynamic yaw\pitch based on atmospheric effects, which in the end becomes a nuisance to passengers and affects possible psychology or perceived experience flying in them. Then you have to factor in that all aircraft maintenance equipment is made to service traditional aircraft configuration, if you want to switch that up it creates a seemingly infinite domino effect of the supply\maintenance chain which will all have to be changed... and no one is willing to take that on.

You're not far off ;).

The industry is in a transitional period that the general public wont know about until 5-10 years from now, short haul flights will hold more people, regardless of propulsion type, simple economics and airline profitability demands this, even if the cabin space remains the same as a 737 for example, you are guaranteed they will shoehorn in more people, its the constant demand from airlines. It goes as far as simulation egress\ingress down to inches, which one will allow more passengers in and out a minute quicker, restock a minute faster, be in the air a minute sooner, literally minutes for airlines count in the end of the day. Its a whole science on its own... and for short haul flights, human comfort goes out the window for most carriers, unless its a more prestigious airline.

As far as blended body, the amount of room it takes compared to useable interior space cannot compete with the current design philosophy of existing aircraft, not to mention that the shape of existing aircraft naturally creates an aerodynamic balance in direction, some of this is lost when you go to a blended body configuration, allowing more natural aerodynamic yaw\pitch based on atmospheric effects, which in the end becomes a nuisance to passengers and affects possible psychology or perceived experience flying in them. Then you have to factor in that all aircraft maintenance equipment is made to service traditional aircraft configuration, if you want to switch that up it creates a seemingly infinite domino effect of the supply\maintenance chain which will all have to be changed... and no one is willing to take that on.
You don't need to tell me about airline economics. It's my wife's job 😉

wowow so cool, having a hard time identifying that jet, looks like "harrier" you know the old one that can take off from a ship... or a training model of another jet I don't recognize, like an older f16?

wowow so cool, having a hard time identifying that jet, looks like "harrier" you know the old one that can take off from a ship... or a training model of another jet I don't recognize, like an older f16?

Oui c'est un harrier, c'est un des rares avions vtol (vertical take-off and landing)
Outre la forme, tu peux l'identifier par la position des trains d'atterrissage, tu vois celui de l'arrière.
United_States_Marine_Corps_AV-8B_Harrier_II_hovering.jpg

Oui c'est un harrier, c'est un des rares avions vtol (vertical take-off and landing)
Outre la forme, tu peux l'identifier par la position des trains d'atterrissage, tu vois celui de l'arrière.
haha nice, j’étais pas mal sur de mon coup, mais j'ai hésiter de dire que c’était ça a 100%, car je n'aurai pas penser qu'on avait ce jet dans les forces armées canadiennes ici, il est tu "fonctionnel" lol?

je trouvais ca cool dans le temps ce jet la, mais je dois avouer que le f35 avec son anus qui se pointe vers le bas et l'autre fan en avant c'est pas cool aussi

haha nice, j’étais pas mal sur de mon coup, mais j'ai hésiter de dire que c’était ça a 100%, car je n'aurai pas penser qu'on avait ce jet dans les forces armées canadiennes ici, il est tu "fonctionnel" lol?

je trouvais ca cool dans le temps ce jet la, mais je dois avouer que le f35 avec son anus qui se pointe vers le bas et l'autre fan en avant c'est pas cool aussi

Non, le Canada n'a pas de Harrier (ni de f16), probablement un harrier des us marines en visite.

le A10 avait pas sa le vertical take off ??

c'est sur que sa deja ete quote ici mais j'ai relu le livre dernierement ! cette passe la me fait toujours rire !

We were monitoring
various ra dio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles
Center's airspace. Though they didn't really control us, they did monitor our
movement across their scope. I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its
groundspeed. "90 knots," Center replied. Moments later a Twin Beech
required the same. "120 knots," Center a nswered. We weren't the only one proud of our speed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly
transmitted, "Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout." There was a
slight pause. "525 knots on the ground, Dusty." Another silent pause. As I was
thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard the familiar click of a radio
transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized
Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison. "Center,
Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?" There was a longer than normal
pause. "Aspen, I show one thousand seven hundred and forty-two knots." No
further inquiries were heard on that frequency.

Non le a10 n'est pas vtol.
En service là il y a le harrier, le f35 et le v22 Osprey.
Le harrier n'est pas le premier mais le premier plus répandu

^ very nice pic, not sure if you were already asked, but are you pilot? technician? what do you do to the jets? where do you touch them? Could they show me on a doll jet where touched them? :D

Y'en a tu ici qui ont leur licences de vol récréatif ou privé?

On parle de combien environ pour l'un ou l'autre des processus, au total?

Back