Airplane Thread

Not all airlines are the same... One of my friends got a job as air hostess on Emirates and it's a whole other ball game. They moved her to Dubai, flies all over the world to these really cool places and makes very good money. They only seem to hire hot chicks though.

Hydkr.jpg

kQxGn.jpg

Lvyjx.jpg

Re: La Presse has nothing to write about these days except for some poor tourists...

Depuis que air Canada a racheté Canadian Airlines, ils ont pu vraiment de compétition, fait que ils ont pas de raisons de s'améliorer vraiment...

Envoyé depuis mon Galaxy Nexus avec Tapatalk

As it should be with flight attendants.. I expect and demand hot chicks! Not the mostly middle-aged women/gay d00ds that seem to dominate NA sky's.

But all airlines are the same :) Plane goes AOG at some place that isn't a base and if there isn't another aircraft free in the system there will be a delay, let's not even start talking about crew hours or slots. Happened with EK when the catering truck tipped on the wing of a A380 at YYZ. Shit happens.. don't be a child and run to LaPresse to complain. I know for an absolute fact that this summer KLM had the most cancelled flights to AMS from YUL, Yet it wasn't in the papers but meanwhile a 744 and MD-11 were parked at AC getting fixed during the same week! That's over 700 seats to rebook.

Could be worse though flying Ryanair having stop at a random airport to refuel, then crew times out. Passengers stuck in the terminal until the next morning then Ryanair refusing to refund passengers. Then O'Leary says the passengers should taken care of accommodations themselves!

Depuis que air Canada a racheté Canadian Airlines, ils ont pu vraiment de compétition, fait que ils ont pas de raisons de s'améliorer vraiment...

Envoyé depuis mon Galaxy Nexus avec Tapatalk

There is still a ton of takeover hate to this day in YVR,YYC and YEG. However saying AC has no competition is bogus. AC can barely fill seats on the YUL-YTZ-YUL route because people still prefer Porter. WestJet has taken a good chunk of domestic,transborder and holiday travel out of AC. Theyll be launching a regional soon and IMO its a stepping stone to international flights.Air Transat is in the process of a major fleet overhaul to get a better foothold in the international market. Why do you think AC started "Rouge" ? Airline competition is about to heat up in Canada.

There is still a ton of takeover hate to this day in YVR,YYC and YEG. However saying AC has no competition is bogus. AC can barely fill seats on the YUL-YTZ-YUL route because people still prefer Porter. WestJet has taken a good chunk of domestic,transborder and holiday travel out of AC. Theyll be launching a regional soon and IMO its a stepping stone to international flights.Air Transat is in the process of a major fleet overhaul to get a better foothold in the international market. Why do you think AC started "Rouge" ? Airline competition is about to heat up in Canada.

I was a bit fond of Canadian Airline, they always had an excellent service. No matter which flight and class you were on, if the departure was late, they let you wait at the empress lounge, which was usually reserved for VIP.....they were that good!

It's really a shame that they were bought out by such a bad company....

canadian_airlines.jpg

I was a bit fond of Canadian Airline, they always had an excellent service. No matter which flight and class you were on, if the departure was late, they let you wait at the empress lounge, which was usually reserved for VIP.....they were that good!

It's really a shame that they were bought out by such a bad company....

canadian_airlines.jpg

Good airline but all airlines up until 10am September 11th, 2001 were great. I remember they were operating 767s to YYC in the 90s followed by Fokker F28s to YEG.. Oh those were the days of flying! A connection at YVR-YUL would almost always be on a DC-10! Canadian struggled throughout the 90s and once the competition act was changed it was the final nail in the coffin. Actually when PWA bought Canadian Pacific, CP was already in a massive amount of debt from buying new planes, Nordair and Easter Provincial Airways. The debt rolled over into the newly formed "Canadian Airlines".

cpdc-10s.jpg

Spirit of Canadian DC-10-30 is one of my favorite livery' ever.

Right now what's hurting all airlines in Canada is the massive amount of taxes and fees imposed on ticket prices.. YUL-YYZ 99$ fair each way.. 198$ total plus 145$ in fees! Problem?

what I would do to see a real ATR-42 in the old Canadian Airline navy livery......

I still remember being aboard the ATR-42 that had the aircraft registration number C-FNCP, "Spirit of Saguenay" when me and my family moved to Radisson to join my dad, in the james bay region (he was working as a FSS for Nav Canada at the time), last time I ever boarded a Canadian Airlines flight.....

*salutes*

0080755.jpg

Most of the Canadian/Jazz F28 fleet is rusting in piece at YXE/Saskatoon international. The 146s are in storage in YYC

I've also gone ahead and merged the threads as we are going way off topic!

Here is some BAe146/Avro RJ Love.

IMG_5152-1.jpg

IMG_5151-1.jpg

IMG_5158-1.jpg

IMG_5161-1.jpg

IMG_5163-1.jpg

I just thought about something, between the ATR-42 and the DASH-8, which one do you prefer ?

On my side, I have to say ATR-42, look better for starter, better cargo placement (you actually have 2 cargo area, one at the front and one at the rear, probably for better weight repartition) and the hotel mode, which let the pilot keep the engine #2 running without making the propeller turn to suplpy the aircraft with power

I just thought about something, between the ATR-42/72 and the DASH-8, which one do you prefer ?

I've never been on an ATR, they aren't very popular in NA due to a certain crash in Indiana.. I haven't been on a dash 8 in years.

The Q400 gets damn good reviews and is loved by nearly everyone, well maybe not most airlines since fuel costs are high but still cheaper than a 50seat RJ. The ATR is a rattle can but cheaper to operate and slower..the Q400 is replacing 50-70seat RJs at an alarming pace. ATR is better suited for Cargo while the Dash8 for passengers

FedEx/FedEx operators seems to love theirs... I even had the chance to check one out from Morningstar Air Express.
028-1.jpg

031.jpg

032-1.jpg

036-2.jpg

:)

The fleet manager and I started talking about the former 727s, I emailed him those iCar photos with the 757 and he was happy to have them

I've never been on an ATR, they aren't very popular in NA due to a certain crash in Indiana.. I haven't been on a dash 8 in years.

The Q400 gets damn good reviews and is loved by nearly everyone, well maybe not most airlines since fuel costs are high. The ATR is a rattle can but cheaper to operate.

strange thing thought is that the ATR was kept running by Canadian Airlines for the nordic region until the end (C-FNCP ran Dorval - La grande until the end of InterCanadian operations), Calm air actually still run these aircrafts in Manitoba, so it's more a case a Americans are too stupids to read the manual and deal with it correctly AFAIK. The Dash-8 is more popular here not because the ATR have problem with icing, but because the DASH-8 is made by bombardier

As for the noise, when I boarded one, it was a lot quieter than the DASH-8 (we are talking about a ATR-42-300, made in 89).

For the 400 series and upward, I don't know since we don't have one in canada yet, but they are supposed to be a lot quieter (in part due to the 6-blade propeller they have instead of a 4-blade on the 300/320)

Last edited:
strange thing thought is that the ATR was kept running by Canadian Airlines for the nordic region until the end (C-FNCP ran Dorval - La grande until the end of InterCanadian operations), Calm air actually still run these aircrafts in Manitoba, so it's more a case a Americans are too stupids to read the manual and deal with it correctly AFAIK. The Dash-8 is more popular here not because the ATR have problem with icing, but because the DASH-8 is made by bombardier

First Air still operates ATRs as well.. I don't want to get into specific details about that crash but I will say most of the flying public still feels that prop planes are from WW2 so it's more of a marketing dept thing. The Dash8 is popular because it's a great aircraft and fills a ton of mission needs. Not because it's built by Bombardier in Ontario :)

It's funny because this was being discussed on airliners a few weeks ago!

First Air still operates ATRs as well.. I don't want to get into specific details about that crash but I will say most of the flying public still feels that prop planes are from WW2 so it's more of a marketing dept thing. The Dash8 is popular because it's a great aircraft and fills a ton of mission needs. Not because it's built by Bombardier in Ontario :)

It's funny because this was being discussed on airliners a few weeks ago!

Lol! I admit that since my dad quitted Nav canada about 14 years ago i'm a bit out of the loop concerning aircaft thoughts (let's just say he was an union delegate, and after the airport department of Transport Canada got sold to nav canada.....guess who was shown the door ? Even thought he was one of the most reasonable one (which mean that he did NOT protect those who were bad at their jobs))

A little known favorite of mine, just based on looks - Argentina's IA-58 Pucara

ia58-pucarauru.jpg

images

Always had a thing for turboprops...

OV-10 Bronco

images

Is 't the q400 the plane that keeps losing landing gear??

Bronco is awesome

I like the bombardier AGS/sigint jet, very cool

Check raytheon sentinel

300px-Raf-sentinel-ZJ692-071023-27-16.jpg

Not all airlines are the same... One of my friends got a job as air hostess on Emirates and it's a whole other ball game. They moved her to Dubai, flies all over the world to these really cool places and makes very good money. They only seem to hire hot chicks though.

Hydkr.jpg

kQxGn.jpg

Lvyjx.jpg

I am a frequent flyer with Emirates, in fact I am a proud Skywards Gold member. Out of the 61 flights I did in 2012, I flew 38 times with EK. I agree that the flight crew is much better looking than most airlines (unless you dig the asian chicks, then go for thai or singapore airlines ) and I think the overall experience with EK is by far one of the best. New planes, huge food portions with good selection and overall great service. Sometimes I fly with other airlines because I have no choice and usually realise that the little complaints I may have against EK are nothing. I flew air china, singapore airlines, thai airways, malaysian airlines, philipine airlines, quantas, virgin, lufthansa, qatar airways, KLM, air france, etc... EK tops them all in my book. Their airport lounges are also very nice.

You guys should try them at least once in your life.

That's the long term plan...

However right now is for a flight on KLM before all the MD-11s are retired.

2208010.jpg

Yep the end is near! Looks like the wings/wing box are being removed on the lower right hand. Former ANA 763 in the center

Also on another very sad personal note.. ATI is winding down DC-8 operations as 757/67s come online
2204514.jpg

That is one of the last flights the -73 above.

The 61s/2/3s are parked along with 71s-73s
2182821.jpg

ATI and National were the last major DC-8 operator. This is the end of commercial DC-8 service after over 50 years, considering 707s were nearly all retired by the late 80/ very early 90s.

Back