Airplane Thread

Looked into it and megabus but no night rides available. We should take off in 3 hours...

They waited until the very last minute to announce the flight cancellation to avoid rebooking us on the last AC flight to Montreal that was departing 30 minutes earlier.

How classy of them.

How classy of them.
Yes very disappointed. Even in China with United, when I missed my connection due to mechanical issues they gave me a hotel and meal voucher as soon as I landed.

But if it's due to an event without their control, the customer isn't entitled to any compensation apparently, even with the coming law in December. I'll dig into it and see if it was really a force majeure or not. The plane was there, weather was nice in Toronto and Mtl, but the crew was stuck in another town where weather was bad, so some kind of indirect force majeure.

Should a medium sized airline have an extra crew on call in Toronto (their headquarters) or not? I don't know what a judge would think. If the bad weather retains the crew elsewhere once every few months then I would guess not, but if bad weather happens every week then they should have back up plans imo, or compensate people.

I love their downtown Toronto airport though, and they serve decent wine in glass glasses even for one hour flights.

Flights at YTZ get cancelled often or rolled over when there isn't enough people on them. Porter was a good regional airline 10 years ago but the last few years they have been feeling the pinch of operating a gas guzzling fleet and very limited destinations with little growth. I mean when you starting stretching a q400 flight to Orlando...

Last time I flew with them in 2014 it was a 12 hr delay at YHZ because they were having maintence issues that trickled down in their system

Yea traffic at YUL is horrible these days. Soon you won't even be able to drive to the terminal once the work starts. Only taxi or bus. They will move the drop off area somewhere near cardinal and have shuttles LOL.

It's got to the point now where for pick up it's easier to walk down the road to where the entrance for Alpha or the cell lot is and get our ride from there. Otherwise my father in law needs to wait like an hour coming from the 20 vs going to sources and entering from the back.

Do you have any details (well know if there are details publicly available) as to what the plan is for the reno's? Specifically on the landside for the parking structure and the arrivals/departure drop-off. The REM is chugging along nicely with no signs of it being behind schedule, surely they have to get started soon on the demolition of the elevated parking structure.

Do you have any details (well know if there are details publicly available) as to what the plan is for the reno's? Specifically on the landside for the parking structure and the arrivals/departure drop-off. The REM is chugging along nicely with no signs of it being behind schedule, surely they have to get started soon on the demolition of the elevated parking structure.
You know what's funny. ADM had a nice video and overview of plans on their website but I can't seem to find it anymore including the video..

I presume they will demolish the old structure once the new one is built.

You know what's funny. ADM had a nice video and overview of plans on their website but I can't seem to find it anymore including the video..

I presume they will demolish the old structure once the new one is built.

Yeah I think this is what you're talking about.

It's pretty and all but lacking in a timeline. The airport REM station is supposed to be directly underneath the current short-term parking, and I have a vague recollection of them saying they'd start by closing and tearing down the elevated parking (only to rebuild once the underground work is done). I guess they can maintain the current drop-off/pick-up areas, since it looks like they'll just be doubling the lanes but not changing the design too much.

Flights at YTZ get cancelled often or rolled over when there isn't enough people on them. Porter was a good regional airline 10 years ago but the last few years they have been feeling the pinch of operating a gas guzzling fleet and very limited destinations with little growth. I mean when you starting stretching a q400 flight to Orlando...

Last time I flew with them in 2014 it was a 12 hr delay at YHZ because they were having maintence issues that trickled down in their system
Aren't turbo prop more fuel efficient than jets? I don't mind a 4.5 hours flight instead of 3.5h to Orlando if I save $100+ on the flight, the q400 top cruising speed is 670 vs 870 for A220 I believe, so for transatlantic that's not good, but for most destinations in Canada and USA it's not a big deal.

But with their poor reliability and almost every flight connecting to Toronto, delays and cancellations are just too common to count on them it appears.

Aren't turbo prop more fuel efficient than jets? I don't mind a 4.5 hours flight instead of 3.5h to Orlando if I save $100+ on the flight, the q400 speed is something like 650 vs 850 for a c series I believe, so for transatlantic that's not good, but for most destinations in Canada and USA it's not a big deal.

But with their poor reliability and almost every flight connecting to Toronto, delays and cancellations are just too common to count on them it appears.
Yea they are but there is a crossover at some point where the jet is better. Q400 is efficient for its class. There is more calculation involved in that MCO route but given the seats on the aircraft, with a load flying something with more seats like a 319 would be more profitable

Its pretty interesting how airlines decide what to fly and where. Some routes are super profitable with smaller aircraft. I should talk to my wife more about this but we really don't talk about our work at home

Yea they are but there is a crossover at some point where the jet is better. Q400 is efficient for its class. There is more calculation involved in that MCO route but given the seats on the aircraft, with a load flying something with more seats like a 319 would be more profitable
But would a 319 be able to take off at YTZ? If the airport doesn't allow jets, then the airport would be worthless without Porter and their Q400s no?

But would a 319 be able to take off at YTZ? If the airport doesn't allow jets, then the airport would be worthless without Porter and their Q400s no?
Nope no jets at YTZ. Porter lobbied for expansion citing a C series order at the time. It was never going happen.

YTZ is an oddity. It works somehow with what it has

Nope no jets at YTZ. Porter lobbied for expansion citing a C series order at the time. It was never going happen.

YTZ is an oddity. It works somehow with what it has
You can go from downtown to your gate in about 45 minutes, so it has some value despite the limitations.

Caught this while waiting for the wife to finish work
d6facde309dd56d4b90bb7de97bd8f08.jpg

I was 5th in line for business upgrade and they took 4... Damnit. Still got premium economy.

I went through the Business class of the 787 and it's 100x nicer than the 777 ones. Both have lay-flat seats but the screen size is ginormous in the 787.

Crossing my fingers for the next run in 2 weeks to get upgrade... slim chances the flights are always full and full of super elite Million miles members that bump everyone hehe.

I am still in love with that plane, every time I fly something else it reminds me how the Dreamliner is above others in the Long haul/ wide body segment.

Gregster any website to see the load of planes, standby lists and so on?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yea get a job at the airline and access to RES lol. You should be able to check the SBY list for J with the AC app

Out of YUL at 5:45am this am
07e5947fce336a913eeaaf209943140b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry couldn’t get a better picture
D15F4043-C0A5-41FC-8BEC-88D5EA55EE93.jpg
13F755BB-156C-48E0-8B57-42B4003A2819.jpg

Attachments

• 2441CEDE-D69E-4B47-A78C-0E76C7B17973.jpg
    2441CEDE-D69E-4B47-A78C-0E76C7B17973.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 116
Back