News: Infiniti goes full retard

Sandro_Bit

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/17/infiniti-queues-up-questionable-q-and-qx-naming-scheme/

q-infiniti-q.jpg

Oh boy, this is about to get confusing with a capital Q.

Infiniti has just announced a brand-new scheme that calls for completely new model names across its entire lineup of vehicles. Making things even more difficult will be the fact that all coupes, convertible and sedans will get a Q prefix while all crossovers and SUVs will be prefixed with QX.

Further muddying the waters, previous engine displacement monikers will be replaced by a double-digit number "representing hierarchy within the range." Put less simply, the slot in the lineup currently held by the G Sedan will be called Q50 while the G Coupe and Convertible will be called Q60. Q70 will replace the M Sedan at the top of the automaker's lineup of cars.

On the truck side, the range-topping QX is now the QX80. Sitting below is the QX70, which was formerly the FX, then the QX60 that used to be the JX and finally the QX50, which was but is no longer the EX. Qonfused yet?

Getting back to the G... excuse us, Q50, this is the new sedan that Infiniti had previously announced would be debuting at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show. Best we can tell, this is a replacement for the old G Sedan, and it will sit below the currently available G Coupe and G Convertible, which will be renamed Q60.

The Q50 will be the first model from Infiniti to fall into the new Q-based naming convention, with the rest of the automaker's lineup falling into place as 2014 models are announced. Infiniti said on a conference call that this move was necessary as the brand branches out beyond the United States.

"This strategic change reflects Infiniti's desire for clarity and cohesiveness," says the press release, which you can read below. Hopefully, that will clear everything up for you...

They are also planning a compact car:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ct-luxury-car-coming-in-2016.html#more-172503

nissan-etherea-concept.jpg

Nissan announced today that it will invest £250 million ($407 million) into its Sunderland, U.K. plant to build a new Infiniti compact car.
The brand already backed out of a deal to have Magna Steyr build the unnamed car, but the car will be built nonetheless. Information on the car is still unavailable, but offering a compact luxury car will be a key move for Infiniti as other luxury automakers rush to offer small cars.
It’s likely that the vehicle will lean on Renault-Nissan’s partnership with Daimler to use Mercedes’ MFA front-wheel drive platform to produce the brand’s first premium compact car. Production is set to begin in 2015 with a targe to build 60,000 units per year. When the car reaches showrooms, it will be competing against cars like the BMW 1 Series, which will have migrated to a front-wheel drive platform, as well as the Audi A3.

Merci de nous éclairer la dessus !

Comme on connait très bien les membres de MontréalRacing, plus que la moitié ont le budget pour en acheter au moins une.

Go on YouTube in "nissannewsroom" and you can see the horrific interview talking about this decision. It's so painful to watch lol

Edited:
Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPhone

Its not that bad when you think about it, volvo and audi do the same thing but still 1 letter for the whole line up? At least Audi has a difference between the cars and suvs

Merci de nous éclairer la dessus !

Comme on connait très bien les membres de MontréalRacing, plus que la moitié ont le budget pour en acheter au moins une.

Dit le gars qui a fait une crise publique lorsqu'il n'a pas eu son 3 cents de rabais pour gazer au super.

It's not too bad in all fairness but the X being in front or behind the car nomenclature might get fucking confusing but I think people will catch on fast.

Sort of like Audi's line up: A1,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8 where the S-Line is after the A series name and the "sport" version is written before hand being as: S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8 and with the occasional RS series as well.

Audi's is a lot simpler yes but I think Infiniti was trying to simplify/mimic theirs the same way to an extent.

It's not too bad in all fairness but the X being in front or behind the car nomenclature might get fucking confusing but I think people will catch on fast.

Sort of like Audi's line up: A1,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8 where the S-Line is after the A series name and the "sport" version is written before hand being as: S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8 and with the occasional RS series as well.

Audi's is a lot simpler yes but I think Infiniti was trying to simplify/mimic theirs the same way to an extent.

the problem is its a bit too late to do that. Everyone has done that like in the 1990's but infiniti is now changing all the names ... so what if you want, for example a QX50 ? you'll be finding another car? it gets confusing when there's already plenty of infiniti in the market and then you change all the names but some names will not replace the current model ... i dont think it was a wise decision. They probably wanted to upgrade the infiniti brand's level into more benz, bmw , audi ...

the problem is its a bit too late to do that. Everyone has done that like in the 1990's but infiniti is now changing all the names ... so what if you want, for example a QX50 ? you'll be finding another car? it gets confusing when there's already plenty of infiniti in the market and then you change all the names but some names will not replace the current model ... i dont think it was a wise decision. They probably wanted to upgrade the infiniti brand's level into more benz, bmw , audi ...

I think considering the competence of the staff at nissan (marketing, financial planning, etc.) they made this decision based on various studies. They've must of done it for a reason and obviously, people on MR don't really fit the clientele of Infiniti... Therefore, I think it is irresponsible to judge considering the lack of information behind this decision. I don't think any of us, here on MR have a position of VP marketing or any global strategic or positioning competence. All we can do is give our opinion whether we like it or not.

I think considering the competence of the staff at nissan (marketing, financial planning, etc.) they made this decision based on various studies. They've must of done it for a reason and obviously, people on MR don't really fit the clientele of Infiniti... Therefore, I think it is irresponsible to judge considering the lack of information behind this decision. I don't think any of us, here on MR have a position of VP marketing or any global strategic or positioning competence. All we can do is give our opinion whether we like it or not.

Even if Nissan does do studies on products and changes to their product line they are known for doing things that make no sense
hence
acE8M.jpg

This move reminds me alot of what Acura did in the ninties when the moved away from names and changed to letter combos for their cars. "Lets take the integra that everyone knows and name it the RSX that noone will recognize" That worked out great.

... so what if you want, for example a QX50 ? you'll be finding another car? i

i think they did it for this reason

possible currently customer mentallity "well, i dont want this OLD G/M/FX, I want a NEW Q model"

kinda like how GM was having trouble with sales, so they made a bunch of "new cars" to help sales

inifiniti just did the same thing, without having to completely make a "new car"

Heard about this. Seems legit. It's in tune with the thinking of their target customers. Very simple but intuitive nonetheless.

Back