FS: QNAP TS-409 PRO NAS WITH 4x 2TB HITACHI HDDs

int

Legacy Member
Hello,

For sale is my used QNAP TS-409 PRO NAS (running F/W 3.3.0 build 0924T, with an updated TwonkyMedia QPKG) with 4x HITACHI HDS723020BLA642 (F/W: MN6O) HDDs. The NAS has been used for a couple of years now, and is only being sold because I am upgrading to a 5-bay QNAP NAS (TS-569 PRO) for increased storage. Includes NAS, power cable, and keys to lock the drives.

The NAS is currently set up in a RAID5 for a total of 5.36TB of usable space, but the data will be deleted and the configuration reset at the time of sale.

Price: $850

Please PM me with any questions!

Last edited:
Price lowered, pics added:

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

PM me with any questions!

Please take no offense the following post...

This is a 5yr old NAS (released Jan 2008). It was a pretty decent unit for it's time, however it doesn't even come close to the performance of any of todays units..

You can get some of the basic 4 bay Synology units, and a set of 4 2TB NAS rated drives, for under $900 today, brand new with warranty... Even the Synology DS413j which is Synology's entry level 4bay unit will run rings around the TS409 in both performance, interface and available on unit applications... The TS409 uses a (now) dated Marvell 500Mhz CPU with 256M of RAM.. And the Basic Synology comes with 1.6Ghz CPU and 512MB of RAM.

I had a TS409 Pro initially.. I then updated to a Synology DS508, since the TS409 Pro had performance issues at high load which QNAP finally acknowledged but could not correct immediately. Now I have 1 Synology DS1511+ and a DS1512+. I've used dlink, Qnap, Thecus, Netgear Readynas, and Synology NAS units, so I know the relative performance of most of these models.

NCIX.COM prices on a config using a current Synology unit, is $840+GST+shipping which comes to just under $900 total...
And if you don't want Synology and prefer to stick with QNAP,the newer TS-412 is selling for even cheaper than the synology unit @ $369 on NCIX.COM.

nassy.jpg

Nice basic unit.. But definately not worth $900 used in todays market even with the drives... Prices on basic 4 bay NAS devices is coming down, since they are becoming more and more common place.. Prices are still significantly higher with 5+ bay units however..

I know the original cost (at the time) of this setup was close to double what you are asking today.. But it is not only depreciation factor any more in this market.. You also need to factor in the drop in prices of similar current hardware also...

If you seriously want to sell, you may want to revise your price... Good Luck..

Please take no offense the following post...

Emporium, if you were interested in purchasing, I would have appreciated the time you took to post and research. Given that you have a Synology already and have no interest in my item up for sale, I'm not sure what the purpose of your public post was; despite you starting it with "Please take no offense", I fail to see what you were trying to accomplish except ensure that you deter people from buying my item.

I'm glad you mentioned that your $839.95 + tax and shipping comes to ~$900. I am open to offers, but given the feature set of this (albeit older) NAS, that yes you are correct I paid roughly double what I am asking for, I don't believe my price to be completely unreasonable.

If someone knows what they are looking for, and what they are getting in a QNAP NAS (especially over even some of the newer Synology models, which I researched in depth prior to pulling the trigger on my new TS-569 PRO unit), I think they'll see that my asking price is more than fair.

Thanks for chiming in on my thread nonetheless.

But like I also said.. If you prefer QNAP (personal preference and everyone is entitled to thier opinion - even though Synology's DSM interface in my opinion is far superior to anything qnap has offered so far), you can get the TS412 which is the Newer model of what you are selling, for even cheaper than the Synology I pointed out...

So what I was trying to point out is that you are selling a 5yr old NAS for more expensive than you can get the newer model from the same company also, and same series... TS412 is selling now for $369.... add 4 2TB drives, and it is still cheaper than what you are offering..

I didn't trash your post, or post anything false... I just pointed out some facts for the benefit of others..

Back