Changing Headlight bulb on a Golf this ridiculous?

TheGreatOne

Legacy Member
Picked up a 2009 Golf City for the winter on a lease take over...

Drivers side light is out...figured I'd go downstairs tonight and quickly change it. Open the hood, so plastic covering it, fine remove that, take the battery cover off doe more room and then wtf, some intake piping is covering the drivers side headlight opening...

VW really make it this difficult to change a bulb? I said F it...will take another look tomorrow.

I think it's only the golf city. I had a 2006 Jetta before and changing the bulbs on both sides only takes a minute.

90% of the time when you see a car with a burnt out headlight on the highway, it's a VW. You would think they would know better and make it super easy to change a bulb.
It's a piece of pie on the MK5, though.

90% of the time when you see a car with a burnt out headlight on the highway, it's a VW. You would think they would know better and make it super easy to change a bulb.
It's a piece of pie on the MK5, though.

It easy on the golf Mk6 too.

Ok, so I'm not crazy, good to know lol.

Ya, its a Golf City, I guess they figured the people buying these cars know nothing about cars and will bring it to the dealer for every little thing.

Granted, on the Z you have to jack the car up and go through the wheel well (or take bumper off) but atleast thats HID and doesn't burn out often...lame. I think I'll drive with one headlight till the lease is over in April lol.

Ok, so I'm not crazy, good to know lol.
[...]
I think I'll drive with one headlight till the lease is over in April lol.

On the other hand, I certainly can't speak for the mk4 city, but on the regular mk4, removing the bumper was a piece of cake. You can always get to the headlights that way. As for reassembly, you can save time and skip a few screws since it's a lease.

Back